Neo Geo Mini

Chindogg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have flashing setup? It's easy to semi brick the console if you don't have a fully compatible usb cable and drivers working properly already.

I can probably come up with a little guide to swap out a game like I did for the Playstation classic.

I would really like to know how to edit the firmware to add games to the main screen please.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would really like to know how to edit the firmware to add games to the main screen please.
Unfortunately, I haven't had time to do a proper guide so I'll have to just give you a quick overview of how to edit the main screen games.

Use something like WinImage to open the vendor.img file. The files you are interested in are:
Code:
\res\local\English\games.ini - Edit the entry for the game you want to swap and point it to the new game
\res\roms\ - Add the new game rom zip file here
\res\image\games\ - Folder for each game containing the icons

There is also a cache folder, but I would suggest trying a small game first that doesn't need a cache, like Puzzle Bobble or League Bowling. I'll add the extra information about cache when I can.

For now, don't even mess with icons. Just add the rom, example lbowling.zip to the roms folder. Then edit games.ini and change one of the entries

Example
Code:
[GAME]
[ID]=0
[TYPE]=3
[NAME]=AGGRESSORS OF DARK KOMBAT
[DIR]=aodk
Change it to
Code:
[GAME]
[ID]=0
[TYPE]=5
[NAME]=LEAGUE BOWLING
[DIR]=lbowling
Then save and flash. If it works then you can make it nice with proper icons etc. If it doesn't then you might not be using the proper FBA romset.

Note: If you're like me then the first thing you want to do when you open the vendor.img is delete the "hack" folder. I have zero interest in emulating other systems on my Neo Geo.

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: Samus12345

dclaneta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
hi people, on 5 or 6 days ago i find a neogeo mini on a super market on my city, the first thing i do with my NGM its the battery mod but during the mod process i find that stick problem occurs to many people after flashing their units so i decided to wait and no screw my new unit so a 2 days later one guy comes to my electronics workshop with a after flash joystick problem, well i don't promise a fix for his unit and after he's accepted my condition the first step to do and works for that dude are the joystick replace for a ALPS analog stick we used a lot for fixing xbox 360 controllers, i don't believe how crappy are these sticks that are using SNK on their neo geo mini elaboration, you need to mod the alps stick cutting the microswitch pines.

sorry for my english, i only registered on this forum for helping people with the stick fault i don't expect credits for this hehe.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hi people, on 5 or 6 days ago i find a neogeo mini on a super market on my city, the first thing i do with my NGM its the battery mod but during the mod process i find that stick problem occurs to many people after flashing their units so i decided to wait and no screw my new unit so a 2 days later one guy comes to my electronics workshop with a after flash joystick problem, well i don't promise a fix for his unit and after he's accepted my condition the first step to do and works for that dude are the joystick replace for a ALPS analog stick we used a lot for fixing xbox 360 controllers, i don't believe how crappy are these sticks that are using SNK on their neo geo mini elaboration, you need to mod the alps stick cutting the microswitch pines.

sorry for my english, i only registered on this forum for helping people with the stick fault i don't expect credits for this hehe.
Your English is good. Can you show a bit more detailed guide for replacing the stick? I'm sure it will be very helpful to someone.

Reactions: KiiWii

tcbkilla420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So there is a hack on YouTube that showed up a couple days ago that allows you to add 80 games with the tile art. Only problem is that it's in Portuguese. If someone could make a English tutorial out of that video it would be amazing.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So there is a hack on YouTube that showed up a couple days ago that allows you to add 80 games with the tile art. Only problem is that it's in Portuguese. If someone could make a English tutorial out of that video it would be amazing.
I don't think the hack is any different, it's more just a custom image with only Neo Geo games instead of all the other systems.

tcbkilla420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think the hack is any different, it's more just a custom image with only Neo Geo games instead of all the other systems.

From what I understood from the video,(which wasn't much granted) it seems like he shows how to add your own roms of your choosing from a website, or gives you the option of the image with the 80 games he chose. Either way it would be nice to have a proper tutorial.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I understood from the video,(which wasn't much granted) it seems like he shows how to add your own roms of your choosing from a website, or gives you the option of the image with the 80 games he chose. Either way it would be nice to have a proper tutorial.
The method is exactly the same as I outlined a few posts above.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I can follow the same method as any of the other YouTube videos and apply this 80 game image instead of the one with all the random systems roms?
Yes, other than the roms the images are exactly the same. Unfortunately, that also means there is the same chance of getting the joystick issue.

tcbkilla420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, other than the roms the images are exactly the same. Unfortunately, that also means there is the same chance of getting the joystick issue.

That only effects the mini arcade joystick correct? I have two controllers for it and play on the tv so I wouldn't be to worried about that.

dclaneta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi everyone! I can't upload the tutorial for fixing the control stick issue :( when I wrote all the tutorial and clicking on post reply they show a message that i not have the permission for upload links content here.

Cozmic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi everyone! I can't upload the tutorial for fixing the control stick issue :( when I wrote all the tutorial and clicking on post reply they show a message that i not have the permission for upload links content here.
Nice to hear you wrote a tutorial for fixing the controller issue (by swapping it?) But can't you just copy paste it here?

jidatui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
HELP! There is a problem with the stick after hacking. The dead zone of the left direction is 0%, but the other three directions are all about 50%. Therefore, the stick is wasted.

jidatui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The stick bug occurs on every hacked NEOGEO MINI. If the stick is pushed just a little bit toward left, the left direction wiil be triggered. It is a disaster, because all the fighting games are in a weird feeling. Why cant you see this bug?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up