Neo Geo Mini

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by shinrukus, Aug 8, 2018.

1. shinrukus
    OP

shinrukus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2013
    United States
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Has anyone started the modding process on this? I've seen what appears to be recovery mode try and install on my computer, and the specs for it are pretty on par with a Raspberry pi 3 (except for the low storage)

2. WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    can you take a picture of what the recovery looks like? i am curious.
    too bad they are at scalping prices at the moment, otherwise i would love to buy one reasonable priced.

KiiWii and pikpol like this.
  3. MrTea

MrTea GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2009
    I've seen the tear down videos of the mini and I reckon it won't be long till its hacked. There's enough free space on there to hopefully put most of the neo geo library on their too (so missing games like neo turf masters, svc chaos, neo bomberman, windjammers etc will defo be going on once its doable).

My mini and pad is in the post so won't be long till I get to try it for myself. :)

Last edited by MrTea, Aug 11, 2018
  4. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Ah, damn it, I didn't even realize it had been released already... Too late now, I suppose.

5. fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2018
    Australia
    I can’t even find it any shops in Australia to buy it

6. MrTea

MrTea GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2009
    Only the Japanese version was available to buy(sold out now apart from scalpers on eBay), the international release isn't out till I think September?

7. fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2018
    Australia
    Oh that’s way

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also can you add a joystick to it , I would like to play it on the big telly and sit back ? EDIT yes you can

Last edited by fixingmytoys, Aug 13, 2018
  8. WD_GASTER2

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    i might mess with it if i manage to get my hands on one for a normal price

fixingmytoys likes this.
  9. fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2018
    Australia
    I was waiting for that

10. shinrukus
    OP

Aug 27, 2013
    United States
    So what I've seen I thought was recovery was actually the settings screen (mine just came in), I've tried every possible button combo, I've also tried putting a USB C Cable in the P1/P2 slot while the device was powered on, and Windows doesn't even register a device is plugged in

11. MrTea

MrTea GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2009
    Neo geo mini has been hacked to use other Controllers (hopefully an adapter will come out for this seeing video shows it's possible):

The same youtuber had an xbox marvel vs capcom 3 Arcade stick working too on the mini so I guess, seeing the official proprietary Controlers are rare and expensive (scalpers!), this could be a solution to using any controllers on it in the future?

KiiWii likes this.
  12. shinrukus
    OP

Aug 27, 2013
    United States
    I wonder if he's gonna share that diagram...

13. MrTea

MrTea GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2009
    My mini finally turned up in the UK. Some great games on it but I'm hoping it will eventually get hacked to add a few more on :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by MrTea, Aug 24, 2018
  14. StiNKy

StiNKy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2007
    Ok so if you pull the bottom off of the Mini, you can get access to a button which if you hold while powering up will supply a USB device through the Player2 port. Don't use the USB Type-C cable you get with the Mini for anything other than power as it has no data lines.

I've been trying to communicate with the USB device, as it responds to USB Mass Storage-like commands. I've also been disassembling multiple versions of the firmware writing tool provided by Actions (who supply the chip), but none of the commands the device will respond to other than the identification commands, and some of the commands need some kind of a certificate.

There's also a UART port on the board, which I've hooked up to my console, and you can get plenty of nice information from the Mini as you boot it up, and then you get a linux login prompt. None of the common user/pass logins work for me.

Anyone else poking around their Mini got any good info?

15. Rapidkiller

Rapidkiller Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2009
    France
    Still not released in many country like France for example.
    Wait few days and the scene should be more active on the subject

16. WD_GASTER2

Jun 17, 2018
    France

btw sounds like the uart would be the ticket. the problem is figuring out how to login. lol. that + a powered usb C hub to mount a stick with your games. then it would be a matter of doing transfers with the linux command line. (i dont own one yet, but it sounds like that would be the way to do it)

Last edited by WD_GASTER2, Oct 5, 2018
  17. StiNKy

StiNKy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2007
    I like your enthusiasm :P But guessing that login name AND password.. that's going to be hard. Best bet is to hope that they did something stupid and have a guessable default login that I haven't come across yet.

I've dumped the UART logs here if you're keen on checking it out. You can notice the games have the same filenames as roms you can find online, that's a bit cheeky!

fixingmytoys likes this.
  18. fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2018
    Australia
    A bit like Nintendo using ROMS in their Minis same file
    Format that backup units created all those years ago and are used in emus instead of dumping their own games using their own format, mind you the content is there so I suppose someone’s done the work for you

19. WD_GASTER2

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    what are you using to interact with the UART? Putty?

20. StiNKy

StiNKy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2007
    Yep