Neo Geo Mini

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen the tear down videos of the mini and I reckon it won't be long till its hacked. There's enough free space on there to hopefully put most of the neo geo library on their too (so missing games like neo turf masters, svc chaos, neo bomberman, windjammers etc will defo be going on once its doable).

My mini and pad is in the post so won't be long till I get to try it for myself. :)

Last edited by MrTea,

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Oh that’s way

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also can you add a joystick to it , I would like to play it on the big telly and sit back ? EDIT yes you can

Last edited by fixingmytoys,

shinrukus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what I've seen I thought was recovery was actually the settings screen (mine just came in), I've tried every possible button combo, I've also tried putting a USB C Cable in the P1/P2 slot while the device was powered on, and Windows doesn't even register a device is plugged in

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
Neo geo mini has been hacked to use other Controllers (hopefully an adapter will come out for this seeing video shows it's possible):

The same youtuber had an xbox marvel vs capcom 3 Arcade stick working too on the mini so I guess, seeing the official proprietary Controlers are rare and expensive (scalpers!), this could be a solution to using any controllers on it in the future?

Reactions: KiiWii

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
My mini finally turned up in the UK. Some great games on it but I'm hoping it will eventually get hacked to add a few more on :)

PSX_20180824_171707.jpg

Last edited by MrTea,

StiNKy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so if you pull the bottom off of the Mini, you can get access to a button which if you hold while powering up will supply a USB device through the Player2 port. Don't use the USB Type-C cable you get with the Mini for anything other than power as it has no data lines.

I've been trying to communicate with the USB device, as it responds to USB Mass Storage-like commands. I've also been disassembling multiple versions of the firmware writing tool provided by Actions (who supply the chip), but none of the commands the device will respond to other than the identification commands, and some of the commands need some kind of a certificate.

There's also a UART port on the board, which I've hooked up to my console, and you can get plenty of nice information from the Mini as you boot it up, and then you get a linux login prompt. None of the common user/pass logins work for me.

Anyone else poking around their Mini got any good info?

Rapidkiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Still not released in many country like France for example.
Wait few days and the scene should be more active on the subject

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so if you pull the bottom off of the Mini, you can get access to a button which if you hold while powering up will supply a USB device through the Player2 port. Don't use the USB Type-C cable you get with the Mini for anything other than power as it has no data lines.

I've been trying to communicate with the USB device, as it responds to USB Mass Storage-like commands. I've also been disassembling multiple versions of the firmware writing tool provided by Actions (who supply the chip), but none of the commands the device will respond to other than the identification commands, and some of the commands need some kind of a certificate.

There's also a UART port on the board, which I've hooked up to my console, and you can get plenty of nice information from the Mini as you boot it up, and then you get a linux login prompt. None of the common user/pass logins work for me.

Anyone else poking around their Mini got any good info?

btw sounds like the uart would be the ticket. the problem is figuring out how to login. lol. that + a powered usb C hub to mount a stick with your games. then it would be a matter of doing transfers with the linux command line. (i dont own one yet, but it sounds like that would be the way to do it)

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

StiNKy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
btw sounds like the uart would be the ticket. the problem is figuring out how to login. lol. that + a powered usb C hub to mount a stick with your games. then it would be a matter of doing transfers with the linux command line. (i dont own one yet, but it sounds like that would be the way to do it)

I like your enthusiasm :P But guessing that login name AND password.. that's going to be hard. Best bet is to hope that they did something stupid and have a guessable default login that I haven't come across yet.

I've dumped the UART logs here if you're keen on checking it out. You can notice the games have the same filenames as roms you can find online, that's a bit cheeky!

Reactions: fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I like your enthusiasm :P But guessing that login name AND password.. that's going to be hard. Best bet is to hope that they did something stupid and have a guessable default login that I haven't come across yet.

I've dumped the UART logs here if you're keen on checking it out. You can notice the games have the same filenames as roms you can find online, that's a bit cheeky!

A bit like Nintendo using ROMS in their Minis same file
Format that backup units created all those years ago and are used in emus instead of dumping their own games using their own format, mind you the content is there so I suppose someone’s done the work for you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm