Neimod has full kernel control from an unmodified 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
I'm guessing you're unaware of the fact that retail 3DS games have digital download versions as well.
You can play New Super Mario Bros 2 on a game card, or a digital download from the SD card you know.

So hypothetically it may be entirely possible to get any 3DS rom to launch from the 3DS home menu, if it was properly hacked. A flashcard might be totally unnecessary.

Ah yeah didn't think of that, ah well. Well If the game is dumped from a card wouldn't there be checks to verify the card, where as a eShop game maybe has modified code to alter its intricacies... I really am guessing lol..

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's completely public.
In the same way that saying things on #gbatemp.net is public and everyone is publicly informed.
As in not really until someone decides to take it outside of IRC.

In case there's any confusion, my comment is directed at the "We're elitists" bit, not the kernel control bit.
Believing the former to be serious is silly, believing the latter is up to the person.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm guessing you're unaware of the fact that retail 3DS games have digital download versions as well.
You can play New Super Mario Bros 2 on a game card, or a digital download from the SD card you know.

So hypothetically it may be entirely possible to get any 3DS rom to launch from the 3DS home menu, if it was properly hacked. A flashcard might be totally unnecessary.
Hence, CUSTOM FIRMWARES!!! XD

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
No release date yet? Or how long Will it take?
Why would they release it when they have yet to map out the 3DS fully? Nintendo would patch it so quickly that it'd be useless.

This exploit is not for public use, at least, not yet. This exploit is used for the haxx0rs to map out the 3DS, experiment with it, and see if they can find better exploits.

As for how long it will take for the scene to start kicking, a few months to a year is my guess.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah yeah didn't think of that, ah well. Well If the game is dumped from a card wouldn't there be checks to verify the card, where as a eShop game maybe has modified code to alter its intricacies... I really am guessing lol..

I had wanted to avoid going more or less baseless speculation mode but you seem to be trying to use actual logic and thought was is something we do try to encourage so what the hey.

The very short version is we do not know and it could either way and very easily.

What little has been glimpsed says there may be a separation of game data and the binary (certainly the partially decrypted ROM images I have seen do this and most of the public info on 3d brew points to something). Some have gone as far as to speculate on something resembling what is known as a modified Harvard architecture (data and running code kept apart) which is probably not the case.

On carts, SD slots and downloadable content.
For all the bluster once you have code running in memory* and the option to load extra data in should it be necessary at an equivalent (or faster) pace (bandwidth and latency) to the original you have piracy, assuming of course you have decrypted copies of the games you want to run. However this need not be trivial for various reasons- one of these you touch upon where the game itself will be hardcoded with protocols to load from the 3ds slot or something which may be quite different to the SD slot (homebrew being made from the ground up will lack this problem entirely); if the underlying system is a basic unix style affair it could be a matter of changing /mnt/3dsslot to /mnt/SDcard somewhere or it could involve hunting down every instance of read protocol within a game (usually there is just one there as the result of a compiler doing its job and kicking it all to a function but various libraries, which developers are inclined to use, can boast their own) and patching it to use the SD card instead. I doubt developers have gone true AP styley at this point but I would not be surprised to hear Nintendo left their "say the word and we will add a whole slew of automated binary checks for you" style AP from the later DS SDK versions either.

*that might be pushing it a bit- there are all sorts of little things that might cause trouble, assuming we are dealing with a kernel level exploit (or an escalation of privileges) and there is no crazy hardware hypervisor or higher level I am confident enough to ignore them for the time being.

The various groups that seek out homebrew do not have to sit idly by either and given they kind of have to understand how it all works to do various homebrew tasks they can do all sorts of things to prevent the most obvious method of having commercial games work from working.

For downloadable games- many consoles do use but minor tweaks between versions (the 360 versions of downloadable games aka GOD/games on demand differ only by a few bytes in the header to the resulting files of hard drive install as do some DLC and installable extras- see PIRS vs LIVE). However a few changes and a recompile (quite possible and see also the stuff covering the potential troubles with changing media above) could see this method dashed save for an awful lot of effort. Wiiware and disc games are actually quite similar (I recall playing with a chess game once as a test that appeared as wiiware only in one region and disc in another) but that is many years and Nintendo have supposedly got some people that might know about security to help out.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
On the subject of "Will retail titles run from the SD card", it seems as though Gamecard or eShop versions of the games are practically identical, save for one flag that differs if it is gamecard based or SD card based.

http://www.3dbrew.org/w/index.php?title=Title_list&curid=36&diff=4649&oldid=4514

00040000 - eShop Titles
This titleID-High is also used for gamecard applications. The CXI for retail applications available via gamecard and eShop are exactly the same, except the exheader differs. The SD application flag is likely the only different field in the exheader. The eShop version of the CXI has additional padding.

So reading this, it seems as though if you hacked a dumped retail rom and changed or added that SD application flag, that makes it SD card compatible.
The 3DS itself probably has its own way to handle retail titles from the SD card, as launch window titles like Pilot Wings Resort and Ocarina of Time 3D may not have been built to be launched from an SD card.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I'm going to really hate updating beyond 4.5.0, wondering if I will miss out on this. But I will have to update at some point to play new games. Life was easier when consoles and handhelds didn't have firmware updates :hateit:

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's a sad day when so many people take a non-public IRC comment dripping with sarcasm as a serious statement and say they're doing it for attention.

For now, nothing to see here other than the hope that things may start happening soon-ish.
In the mean time, try not to say things that give people more reasons to make fun of GBAtemp.
Unfortunately, last I checked telling people "Shut up you whiny little bitch" would just get your post removed and leave theirs, so... they still get to post stupid shit because they're allowed to, whereas the people telling them to shut up have to take their time and do it nicely, and then don't get read anyways while the threads get flooded with even more crap that will just stick around.

Forget Notch, what he says only makes sense for an Indie, if you are an (even small) Publisher you have to apply an completely different logic.
Yes, entirely retarded logic stating that piracy somehow steals money and jobs from them. The whole "Piracy == negative money" line is total bullshit. If piracy caused monetary or job loss, then copyright infringement cases would be in criminal court, not civil court.

But hell, if you want to see how "big name" devs that do it RIGHT think, read this.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/25/gabe-newell-on-piracy-and-steams-success-in-russia/
Which, by the way, isn't much different. It's focusing on the product and service to get sales, instead of actively fighting piracy.

Also, Minecraft has 17.5 million sales. I think it's earned the right to be an example of how to make a game that sells.

It's completely public.
I think he's talking about the difference between a conversation and an announcement.

You know, how news sites would post about Notch's twitter responses to questions, and then everybody would bitch that Mojang is making too many announcements. :P

(Since it was mentioned.)

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Someone mentioned how it requires a game card or thing from the eShop. If we use this game, will we still be able to play it legitimately or will it turn into a hack card which cannot be played?

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Someone mentioned how it requires a game card or thing from the eShop. If we use this game, will we still be able to play it legitimately or will it turn into a hack card which cannot be played?
IF they are gonna release this hack, it will be a savegame hack which can be put on the gamecard. If you can do that you can also backup your original savegame and restore it if you don't want to use the hack.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks like the big gaming news site are posting about this now:

http://kotaku.com/5972141/the-3ds-is-being-hacked-and-why-this-is-good-news

there must read this forum, lol.
Actually Kotaku noticed the Tiny Cartridge article first.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/39223984600/more-nintendo-3ds-hacking-progress-hackers-have

Also Tiny Cartridge only reported the facts as they are, they are making big progress in recent days, what Xcution has done, what Neimod has done.
What full kernal access means for region bypassing, how Neimod does not want to allow piracy to happen.

Kotaku's article decided to actually take a side and say "The 3DS being hacked is good news", I don't really hold Kotaku in very high esteem as it is.
Of course, the practical benefits are why all of us here are excited too. It's just I expect a gaming journalism site to not be so quick to disregard that piracy is bad.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually Kotaku noticed the Tiny Cartridge article first.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/39223984600/more-nintendo-3ds-hacking-progress-hackers-have

Also Tiny Cartridge only reported the facts as they are, they are making big progress in recent days, what Xcution has done, what Neimod has done.
What full kernal access means for region bypassing, how Neimod does not want to allow piracy to happen.

Kotaku's article decided to actually take a side and say "The 3DS being hacked is good news", I don't really hold Kotaku in very high esteem as it is.
Of course, the practical benefits are why all of us here are excited too. It's just I expect a gaming journalism site to not be so quick to disregard that piracy is bad.

I'm actually surprised I always thought that even if there think piracy is ok, there still had to say it was bad because there are a gaming journalism site, I thought it was a unwritten rule but perhaps there feel Nintendo deserve it because there put region lock on there systems, so there getting what there deserve.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm actually surprised I always thought that even if there think piracy is ok, there still had to say it was bad because there are a gaming journalism site, I thought it was a unwritten rule but perhaps there feel Nintendo deserve it because there put region lock on there systems, so there getting what there deserve.
They are against piracy, but there are other benefits from hacking a system that they do want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...