Not open for further replies.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought this is news worthy and trigger some interest and hype for who don't visit the 3DS hacking threads much. This is taken from a chatlog.
[07:51:56] <@neimod> full control of the 3ds in kernel mode (arm9 & arm11) from an unmodified 3ds :]
[07:53:03] <EdTheNerd> HHNNNNGGGGG
[07:53:05] <@neimod> the sky is the limit!
[07:53:17] <EdTheNerd> Gib romz plox
[07:53:50] <@neimod> in theory it's possible
[07:53:52] <EdTheNerd> Now then, make it do somethig cool, while displaying GBA TEMP BLOWS somewhere on the screen
[07:54:04] <EdTheNerd> Then enjoy the show
[07:54:36] <EdTheNerd> "neimod: in theory it's possible"
[07:55:02] <EdTheNerd> T-10 seconds before gbatemp quotes that and pisses itself like an excited dog
[07:55:59] <jse> nice work neimod
[07:56:02] <jse> congrats
[07:57:34] <@neimod> unfortunately, we are elitist bastards who never share anything, so kiss that warez loader goodbye
[07:58:01] <EdTheNerd> So not to try to pry to much info here, but is this something you need a specific game/app for?
[07:58:31] <EdTheNerd> Should i by buying all of the eshop now?
[07:58:35] <@neimod> it's based on a specific card-based game
[07:58:39] <EdTheNerd> Nice
[07:58:58] <EdTheNerd> How patchable would you say this is?
[07:59:06] <@neimod> very easily
[07:59:12] <EdTheNerd>
[07:59:41] <EdTheNerd> Still, amazeing work as always
[07:59:46] <EdTheNerd> Congrats!
[08:00:10] <@yellows8> SD version can be used too but ofc one has to run code first for that.
[08:00:19] <EdTheNerd> Now take careof that pesky region lock!
[08:00:33] <EdTheNerd> Could such a thing be posible with this now?
[08:01:55] <@neimod> yes, with full kernel control anything is possible

Before people scream for proof, SifJar has always given us reliable chatlog texts in the past.
If anyone values my word at all, I can vouch for the authenticity of the chat log.

So interesting, region lock can be removed easily and able to play roms according to neimod. But they won't release the latter. ;)

Update: Officially confirmed on the 3Dbrew main page -
29 December 12 Neimod has gained full kernel control from an unmodified 3DS
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

Reactions: Ridge

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Full kernel control would mean that he may be able to blow the 3DS wide open if he wanted to.
But it seems like he wants to create a controlled 3DS homebrew scene that doesn't allow for piracy, and requires an exploit to keep damage down.

There's always the possibility though that whatever exploit neimod releases, someone may reverse engineer it in some way anyway. Who knows what will develop.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Who really cares if they have kernel access if they're unwilling to share their research with others? Long story short, they have a lot of gear that's unavailable to the average mortal or even most hackers, and while I'll admit that they owe it all to hard work, their hard work is going straight to their drawers, and that's not necessarily beneficial.

Sharing such information is a double-edged sword, yes - allowing kernel access to anyone does lead to warez loaders, but at the same time, it also leads to homebrew superior in every way to usermode homebrew as well as custom firmwares greatly surpassing original firmware features-wise - we've experienced that first-hand on the PSP.

Not to look far for such "improved" functionality, the PSP's web browser was useless in OFW, but with HighMemoryMod, it was acceptable to say the least. Music player? Works at least two, three times longer with downclocked CPU. Bored with XMB? There's dozens of themes to choose from. File browsers with total access to all FLASH paritions (except the hardware-locked one, god knows what that's for...) and the memory stick? Not a problem. Damn, there's even a plugin allowing for stereoscopic 3D.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Who really cares if they have kernel access if they're unwilling to share their research with others? Long story short, they have a lot of gear that's unavailable to the average mortal or even most hackers, and while I'll admit that they owe it all to hard work, their hard work is going straight to their drawers, and that's not necessarily beneficial.

Sharing such information is a double-edged sword, yes - allowing kernel access to anyone does lead to warez loaders, but at the same time, it also leads to homebrew superior in every way to usermode homebrew as well as custom firmwares greatly surpassing original firmware features-wise - we've experienced that first-hand on the PSP.

I believe their take on it is that they don't want the 3DS to become a hotspot for piracy, at least not this early into the system's life cycle since it is not even 2 years old yet.
Maybe down the line we will see truly uninhibited 3DS exploitation, but for the time being that is very selfish of the hacking community to make it possible for developer's hard work to be easily pirated.

Reactions: technomooney

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
If it's that vulnerable and this exploit is easy to patch, then, by all means, do not release the hack.
I don't see anything wrong with releasing it sooner rather than later. I'd be more than content and patient with just a spinning cube homebrew until proper dev tools can be written to take full advantage of an open system.

People say the exploits can't be patched while unreleased, but that simply isn't true. If Nintendo found a way to fortify and improve their savegame hash-checking, for instance, they could block the exploit without knowing exactly what game its on or exactly how it works.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I believe their take on it is that they don't want the 3DS to become a hotspot for piracy, at least not this early into the system's life cycle since it is not even 2 years old yet.
Maybe down the line we will see truly uninhibited 3DS exploitation, but for the time being that is very selfish of the hacking community to make it possible for developer's hard work to be easily pirated.
Piracy has always been around - piracy is older than computer science itself, and it's often a necessary evil that we must deal with in order to achieve greater heights. It's an unfortunate consequence, but it should not be treated as an inhibitor of progress.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't see anything wrong with releasing it sooner rather than later. I'd be more than content and patient with just spinning cube homebrew until proper dev tools can be written to take full advantage of an open system.

People say the exploits can't be patched while unreleased, but that simply isn't true. If Nintendo found a way to fortify and improve their savegame hash-checking, for instance, they could block the exploit without knowing exactly what game its on or exactly how it works.
On that basis alone, anybody who is interested in exploiting their 3DS systems now, need to be patient, and turn off the wireless switch altogether.
What they have may be of no use if Nintendo can sneak any silent updates onto the 3DS. Even something like a blacklist or hidden extra-data doesn't necessarily need a system reboot or installation process.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see anything wrong with releasing it sooner rather than later. I'd be more than content and patient with just spinning cube homebrew until proper dev tools can be written to take full advantage of an open system.

Well, The hackers doesn't want to take any risks and I agree with them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
On that basis alone, anybody who is interested in exploiting their 3DS systems now, need to be patient, and turn off the wireless switch altogether.
What they have may be of no use if Nintendo can sneak any silent updates onto the 3DS. Even something like a blacklist or hidden extra-data doesn't necessarily need a system reboot or installation process.
Nintendo cannot force an update on the user, it's just a notification box - a minor annoyance at best in comparison to all the benefits an exploit would give. I don't see an issue in clicking "No." every now and then as long as I can use "NextGen Homebrew".

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Piracy has always been around - piracy is older than computer science itself, and it's often a necessary evil that we must deal with in order to achieve greater heights. It's an unfortunate consequence, but it should not be treated as an inhibitor of progress.
This is entirely true, piracy is bound to happen.
But I imagine how neimod feels, in the pursuit of seeking to run unsigned code, is that he wants to take actions to prevent piracy from happening.
Maybe it's a moral viewpoint or some other personal reason, but the 3DS has a good life ahead of it right now and progress can always wait until a bit later in the 3DS's lifespan. For it to face serious piracy issues now would not be good for the system.

Where a few might pursue running some homebrew, where many developers may lose sales to piracy, it would be selfish of the homebrew scene, do you know what I mean?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is entirely true, piracy is bound to happen.
But I imagine how neimod feels, in the pursuit of seeking to run unsigned code, is that he wants to take actions to prevent piracy from happening.
Maybe it's a moral viewpoint or some other personal reason, but the 3DS has a good life ahead of it right now and progress can always wait until a bit later in the 3DS's lifespan. For it to face serious piracy issues now would not be good for the system.

Where a few might pursue running some homebrew, where many developers may lose sales to piracy, it would be selfish of the homebrew scene, do you know what I mean?
With the recent quote it seems more like bragging rights to me. I won't question his skill, by no means, but his words were douchey at best. This reminds me about the first time the PSP Go was running 6.xx Custom Firmware - the message that was sent together with a screenshot proving that it was achieved said something along the lines of "We hacked the PSP Go, we're not releasing the hack, the Go won't ever be hacked" or something like that. What's the point of doing that - rubbing your success into someone's face? Not cool.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Well, The hackers doesn't want to take any risks and I agree with them.
There are risks if they release tomorrow and risks if they release 6 months from now. In either event, the exploit will be patched within days. In the 6 month time frame however, there is the added risk of a preventative patch while waiting. This actually happened to the second wave of DSi savegame exploits yellows8 was primed to release in 2011. (they were still useful actually, but only in the unlikely event one already owned the game)

And yes people can protect themselves by waiting with their wifi kept off, but very few will do this, especially if they just have one system.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Long story short, they have a lot of gear that's unavailable to the average mortal or even most hackers.
This is true of neimod, but not yellows8. Yellows8 has no additional hardware, just a 3DS. He doesn't even use the commercial disassembler IDA Pro, he uses instead the free GNU tool objdump. As far as I can tell, there's nothing he's using that anyone with a 3DS couldn't use without additional cost. And he's managed plenty of impressive things.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is true of neimod, but not yellows8. Yellows8 has no additional hardware, just a 3DS. He doesn't even use the commercial disassembler IDA Pro, he uses instead the free GNU tool objdump. As far as I can tell, there's nothing he's using that anyone with a 3DS couldn't use without additional cost. And he's managed plenty of impressive things.
I was talking about neimod - that guy appears to have immense assets behind him compared to your average hacker. ;)

Also, just before someone accuses me of it, I'm not upset about their approach - it's their hacks so they can do whatever they like with them, I merely dislike it when people are "elitist" only for the sake of rubbing something in someone else's face. If you made a personal achievement that you're proud of, that's great. If you know that achievement is going to be a cocktease for a good portion of the globe though, you don't have to gloat about it.

Reactions: Wizerzak

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
I can see the viewpoint of holding onto it to prevent the 3DS from being killed by piracy.

After all, that's what happened with the PSP. It's also a huge part of the reason that Type-0 will most likely never be localized... most of SE's PSP titles were heavily pirated, causing a loss in sales. Why release something that will most likely suffer the same fate?

I admit to pirating many things in my time, but I also can see the damage it can do. Not to mention that, as was mentioned above, the 3DS is still young. There's still plenty of greatness ahead of it. It's not really rubbing work in one's face to hold onto this hack, not at all. Given the circumstances, it's more likely neimod is holding onto it to prevent the 3DS from suffering the same fate as the PSP.

Honestly, I don't know why one would instantly assume malice from withholding the hack when there's quite a few other, less selfish reasons for doing so.

That being said, I am happy to hear this.

Reactions: RukaRoaw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.