• Replies 1,533
  • Likes 5

stfour

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This situation is starting to change.
The latest postloader for instance can already launch a homebrew from the usb drive.

Just as notice, only neekbooter is capable to run postloader from usb. The forwarder channel actually can't. It must be adapted. ;)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
nswitch updated on googlecode.

USB users won't need kernel.bin on sd anymore
AWESOME!!!

Where are all the excited ppl? In case some people don't understand the implications of this update... it means you can use uneek and uneek+di WITHOUT an SD Card!
I'm right here!!!! :D :D :D

(okay, I admit it: it's more that it makes updating less of a hassle, but I immediately thought the same thing. :D )

Damn...I'm almost sorry for going on a vacation. No more SD card required, USB loading in UNEEK...
Who knows what it can do by the time I get back home? :P

zfa

Trophies
XP
Country
nswitch updated on googlecode.

USB users won't need kernel.bin on sd anymore
AWESOME!!!

Where are all the excited ppl? In case some people don't understand the implications of this update... it means you can use uneek and uneek+di WITHOUT an SD Card!

@Overjoy... how does this work anyways? Autoloading like the last nswitch or is there a menu (I'm hoping auto)? Is this accurate: if usb:\sneek\kernel.bin is found then that is loaded, and if that's missing and sd:\sneek\kernel.bin is found then that is loaded instead (and if both are missing then it just exits)

seriously this is awesome, great job guys!

XFlak... I'm so excited I've not been able to post on here as I've had to go for a cold shower!!

Just a thought - I assume you'll be changing ModMii to remove the sneek etc. folder from COPY_TO_SD when building a NEEK2O enabled UNEEK-DI now? If so I personally think it might be worth adding in /apps/nswitch/boot.dol to COPY_TO_SD. It's probably not immediately apparent to new users how to actually get into a NEEK environment (the whole concept is odd when you think about it) - they just end up with some kernel file...

I think it's worthwhile that on building a NEEK environment an app is also generated so people know what it is that have to 'run' to get it started.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I spoke to obcd and overjoy about this awhile ago, and we feel that having the nswitch channel\wad copied to emunands and the COPY_TO_SD\WAD\ folder is sufficient. In ModMii's quick sneek tips, it tells users to install the channel and load it to launch neek. So we don't think a HBC app is necessary when users are able to install a channel with the very same app embedded instead.

I still intend to keep the sd:\sneek folder and sd:\bootmiineek folders on the sd card even though they aren't required to run uneek or uneek+di anymore. It doesn't interfere with anything and keeping them would allow users the option of renaming sd:\bootmiineek to sd:\bootmii and launching neek via bootmii if they want to access neek that way for whatever reason.

zfa

Trophies
XP
Country
I spoke to obcd and overjoy about this awhile ago, and we feel that having the nswitch channel\wad copied to emunands and the COPY_TO_SD\WAD\ folder is sufficient. In ModMii's quick sneek tips, it tells users to install the channel and load it to launch neek. So we don't think a HBC app is necessary when users are able to install a channel with the very same app embedded instead.

I still intend to keep the sd:\sneek folder and sd:\bootmiineek folders on the sd card even though they aren't required to run uneek or uneek+di anymore. It doesn't interfere with anything and keeping them would allow users the option of renaming sd:\bootmiineek to sd:\bootmii and launching neek via bootmii if they want to access neek that way for whatever reason.

Ah OK. When I used ModMii the other day I didn't get a COPY_TO_SD/WAD folder when just stepping through the create SNEEK bit. I guess it gets generated in one of the other options. It just struck me as odd that when creating a SNEEK environment there didn't seem to be any way to actually load it from the Wii when I got all the files at the end.

zfa

Trophies
XP
Country
ModMii only downloads the sneek channel when building\modifying an emulated nand

I'm sure you know better than me but this seems a little counter-intuitive. I would have thought that the tool that launches SNEEK should be created along with the SNEEK 'application' rather than the with the SNEEK 'data' which is entirely optional (a user may have an extracted BootMii dump, or a NAND from prior use of Triiforce, say and so never build a ModMii NAND).

If I was a noob (and I'm not far from it in Wii terms) then my eyes would see the channel (or boot.dol) analogous to a desktop shortcut or start menu item in Windows and I'd expect it there when I install a program, not when I downloaded a sample supported filetype. Ah, the complications of getting SNEEK up and running for a noob!!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@zfa, while u have a point, remember that an emulated nand is required to launch neek, and anyone ONLY building neek (not an emulated nand) must already have an emulated nand and therefore only need to update their kernel.bin and di.bin. They should presumably already have the channel installed on their real nand from building\modifying their emulated nand using ModMii. And ppl needing to install nswitch channel to their real nands will also want it installed\updated on their emulated nands, so when they go to add it to their emunands using ModMii's emunand modifer it will also save it to the sd card and tell users to install it to their real nand. I think it might annoying me personally if every time I wanted to update neek2o a wad got copied to my sd card even though I already have the channel installed.

zfa

Trophies
XP
Country
@zfa, while u have a point, remember that an emulated nand is required to launch neek, and anyone ONLY building neek (not an emulated nand) must already have an emulated nand and therefore only need to update their kernel.bin and di.bin. They should presumably already have the channel installed on their real nand from building\modifying their emulated nand using ModMii. And ppl needing to install nswitch channel to their real nands will also want it installed\updated on their emulated nands, so when they go to add it to their emunands using ModMii's emunand modifer it will also save it to the sd card and tell users to install it to their real nand. I think it might annoying me personally if every time I wanted to update neek2o a wad got copied to my sd card even though I already have the channel installed.

I can see your point. I must be a rarity inasmuch as I had no need nor desire to run a NAND I'd been using previously with Triiforce, Mighty Channels, postloader under cIOS through ModMii. I wouldn't have thought I needed to but I probably misread the output of the SNEEK build or something.

obcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Some people take a plain and get their games in another continent. The backups of those games sometimes play better in their own region nand.
For that reason, people prefer to create aditional nands with modmii. I personally never needed another region nand myself, untill now that I just have a program
that crashes on a us nand and runs fine on an eu one. it's one of the gread advantages that you can switch to another (region) nand quickly.

cippazza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know it's the only method to autoboot the Wii into neek environment, and that's my case. Am I wrong ?
Is there an alternate turn-on-the-wii-and-boot-into-neek method ?

Bye !
Cip

zfa

Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I know it's the only method to autoboot the Wii into neek environment, and that's my case. Am I wrong ?
Is there an alternate turn-on-the-wii-and-boot-into-neek method ?

Bye !
Cip

Maybe install OverjoY's nswitch boot.dol in priiloader and set to autorun? If that works then you can possibly keep bootmii in place on your SD too??? Just guessing.

obcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There is the new nswitch program on the custom-di google page. If you install that in your real nand priiloader as startup application, your wii should boot directly into neek2o.
Yesterday, some people still seemed to have issues with it, But I think Overjoy reated a new version afterwards.
It's my intension to create a priibooter like version for priiloader that still gives you a couple of different boot options.

cippazza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I will try. I still don't understand one thing (please, be patient with me...) : when I install a file in priiloader (ie: sd:/test.dol) and priiloader is set to boot to installed file, sd:/test.dol must always be present on sd, or can I delete it just after having it installed in priiloader ? If the latter, now everything is clear :D

bye
Cip the n00b

obcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The file you install in priiloader is copied over to the nand.
When priiloader runs it, it runs it from nand.
So after install of the file, you don't need it on your sd anymore.
You can see it on emulated nand.
It's in the /title/00000001/0000002/data folder if I am not mistaken.

PizzaPino

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@obcd
i have another workaround for my issues now. i load postloader from real nand through priiloader. and postloader autoboots into nswitch (which is on the usb) which goes into neek2o.
with this i dont need a delay at the beginning and it is much more reliable since postloader initializes my drive much faster and more reliable somehow.

this showed me, that neek2o booting directly into standby mode wasn't because of the delay, because i still have it once in a while.
also i need the sd card even though im using the newest nswitch to boot into neek2o, or else i end up in a black screen (i put it in when i see the postloader booting screen).

my setup is still r58, sm4.3e.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hee , i might try that too, thanx @PizzaPino... for the work around...i think my hdd has init problems too..and also delaying neek2o doesn't help much either..i tried a few nswitch testversions from OverjoY with different delays, but they wont work on my hdd.

Greetz Etheboss

obcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It looks like nswitch isn't able to get kernel.bin from your hardisk.
It will try to get that file from sd afterwards which could explain why it works with the sd card inserted.
I have seen issues that were much alike with scummvm. When the program dol was on the harddisk,
the program couldn't acces it's config files on the same harddisk.
When the program dol was on sd, everything worked fine. I think I managed to get it running, but I really
need to look it up in the sources again to find out how.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9w_UTPpHjg