ROM Hack Need some help doing a translation...

CharAznable

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So yeah, I'm wanting to do a menu translation for Steal Princess. This is my first attempt at a translation, so I'm a little lost. I've dumped the text with WindHex, but the resulting file is over 200MB, and nothing I've tried (EmEditor, Notepad++) can open it. Should the dumped text file be this big?

Tempus35

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SeraphisCain said:
So yeah, I'm wanting to do a menu translation for Steal Princess. This is my first attempt at a translation, so I'm a little lost. I've dumped the text with WindHex, but the resulting file is over 200MB, and nothing I've tried (EmEditor, Notepad++) can open it. Should the dumped text file be this big?

I don't know about the editor, that is I use editplus and it opens almost anything. As for the file the size of the file is how much ram you will need free to open it. So you need 200+mb of free ram to open it. Also if the game you are talking about is a nds game, how did you go about finding the text to dumb etc. That is from what I know nds files are like an archive of many other files, so you have to open that archive then get the text file.

CharAznable

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I realized that, and unpacked the game with NDSTool. I found what I'm fairly sure are the files containing the game's text, but now I'm facing a whole new set of problems.

CharAznable

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The files are in .DAT format.

EDIT: If you're gonna look in the ROM itself, the files I believe to be the text files are in \data\mess\JP\.

CharAznable

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's a bit of English, yeah. I'm just trying to figure out what to do now. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for in these files, even after viewing them in S-JIS.

Tempus35

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say myself never have hacked text files out, I know the goal is to change the one language to the other through hex, which can be a pain when it comes to byte sizes etc. Why is there English in the hex though if it isn't suppose to be in English.

CharAznable

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not sure, really. =/

There's not all that much text in the game, though. I wouldn't think that even a full translation would be all that hard. There's five or six worlds, and only one or two story sequences in each one. However since I don't actually know all that much Japanese, I'm not going to attempt any more than the menus and possibly item names.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure that the information you are looking for isn't in the mess/jp folder. i've opened messitem.dat and messenemyname.dat up and it seems way to small to hold any extensive listing of items and such.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 999.... Apple.... Can I just use 999 dollar bills and light them on fire?