NEED HELP W/INTERNETS!!!

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to help my girlfriend log into her online college account. If you would be so kind as to take the time to read this and offer any suggestions or solutions, we would be very grateful. This is a very confusing matter for a number of reasons, so let me bullet point what encountered for easier reference:

- Girlfriend was able to access her eCollege account about 2 weeks ago from her laptop (Win98, severely outdated, although she does use Firefox)

- About 2 days ago, she attempted to login again and Firefox directed her to a blank page with the "Page Is Taking Too Long To Respond/Problem Loading Page/Connection Timed Out" error. It's been giving her this error ever since.

- At first I though maybe it was the eCollege's server that was down for some reason but I checked the site while I was at school (showed up fine) and later that day she was able to login to her account via a local internet cafe. Came home later that day and tried to access site from the laptop again... still unresponsive.

- Talked with eCollege's Tech Support team. No help at all.

Now here's the progress I made TODAY:

- This situation oddly reminded me of how some public schools block certain sites (i.e. Facebook, Myspace, Youtube, etc.) from being viewed on their network by students. No idea why eCollege would block my girlfriend's home IP Address, but it was the only theory I had to go on.

- Tried using a Proxy Server website, remembered that I could use those back in high school to get around blocked sites by concealing my IP Address.

- By typing in the eCollege website into the Proxy Server redirection, the main page of eCollege was finally accessed (and oddly enough, rather quickly). Girlfriend successfully logged in using her information and reached her course list page.

- Now this is where it gets confusing again. I thought I had solved the problem but once any link located on the course page is clicked on, I receive an error from their system claiming I'm trying to access the pages through an erroneous way (wrong starting page, etc.). I'm guessing this is due to the Proxy Server website I used...?

This is my dead end. I have no idea how to get any further then the course page (the page displayed immediately after logging in). I'm not all that well on the details of Proxy Servers or how they work... are they not supposed to be used to access much information after a login into a system? I also tried disabling my firewall and aside from using Firefox, also tried IE7 and Opera. Also, I know this sounds like n00b-speak but could it be due to the fact that her laptop runs on Win98... (additionally, her laptop is a reallllly old Thinkpad, 2GB harddrive). Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated seeing as she has multiple assignments waiting to be turned in to her professors. Once again, thanks for your time and input 'Tempers!
happy.gif

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All websites I throw at it work normally. This has never happened on her laptop before and I believe she even downloaded a soundtrack (Justin Timberlake, omfgsaveme!) last night. Internet is fully functional ('cept for that one site).

Qpido

Call me Q.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
That site must've somehow blocked her out :|.

I wish I could be of some help, but in my life problems seem to solve themselves most of the times.

Hope you find your answer soon.

Q~

RedIce

Trophies
Website
zer0z.deviantart.com
XP
Country
well, my suggestion is rather simple, but try to clear out any and all internet history/temp files.
hey, something there might be fucking up with the authentification system and cookie checking and such, might work, might not. do it mannually thru explorer too, just to be safe.

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, my suggestion is rather simple, but try to clear out any and all internet history/temp files.
hey, something there might be fucking up with the authentification system and cookie checking and such, might work, might not. do it mannually thru explorer too, just to be safe.
Argh-ies! Tried it, even went as far as to defrag the compy... with no avail.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, yes