Hacking Need help skinning

jbullfrog1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am having problems creating a solid a nice looking logos.bmp file for the skin.

I downloaded mavis's template: http://www.mavisxp.com/ds/r4/iconguidebmp.bmp

and then I edited it, arranging my icons into the middle row, and then deleting the grid.

I saved this file as 'logos'

I then took my 256*192 background .bmp file, and pasted it on top of 'logos'.

Here is my problem.

When I paste the background onto the template, it covers up the icons I just perfectly arranged!

I think this problem can be solved by the "bring to back" function. However, is there an easier way to arrange the icons perfectly and have the background in the back where it should be?

BTW, I am using Microsoft Paint Program. Is there a better freeware program I should use?

Thanks for the help Skinners!
shy.gif

Sorry for being such a n00b!

Kurai

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To use Microsoft Paint will be a pain, 99% Of the people that make skins here use Adobe Photoshop, you can grab a trial off of there site and make it a real copy with a crack. But with Photoshop it basically has layers, so you would put your background image underneath the Icons. I suggest you should get Photoshop if you want to do Skinning
smile.gif

You can't really make skins with Microsoft paint lol >.

jbullfrog1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I downloaded GIMP, but could you give me instructions on how to use it to skin?

How do you create the layers on top of one another?

slowness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've never used gimp but it looks like a clone of photoshop lol judging but the screenshots at the site
just look at your layer panel where on the left of the small list should have an EYE and opacity is how well you see that layer(makes things transparent).

the thing people want you to do is put the lines in the front layer (should be right click on the list and theres options to do so hopefuly) and use those lines as guides to where you place your *icon* pictures like layering legos or something. and after that just delete the guideline layer and you should have your picture completed.

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
you'll also find some useful tutorials and guides on it's website about how to use layers and stuff.

photoshop and gimp are easy once you get used to them, they're nothing compared to someting like 3dsmax or XSI (3d modeling tools in general), you can learn to use them by yourself, just dont give up on them quickly.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you'll also find some useful tutorials and guides on it's website about how to use layers and stuff.

photoshop and gimp are easy once you get used to them, they're nothing compared to someting like 3dsmax or XSI (3d modeling tools in general), you can learn to use them by yourself, just dont give up on them quickly.
/agree. Reading is the key. Starting off with PS/Gimp may seem difficult, mainly because you're bombared with so many options (at least compared to mspaint)
tongue.gif
Read tutorials, check examples, and just fuck around with everything. You'll learn a few tricks and it'll all start to become easier because it's really not hard at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff