Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that.

I am curious what it is.
Measuring at a frequency like that makes it sound like an inductor of sorts. The apparent mass of wound wire when they go pop also attesting to that, not to mention some of those pictures making it look like an air core winding.

I did a search for "Charger Filter Regulator" intending to see about such things and top results were for Nintendo gear, and as such it is a fairly meaningless term. There do appear to be cheap ones online ( https://www.fasttech.com/product/2109600-em10-electromagnetic-charger-filter-regulator-for for a multi pack and http://www.retro-video-game-repair....regulator-for-nintendo-ds-ds-lite-dsi-dsi-xl/ for an individual) but that is online and I am not wondering if we can't just find something in a real world electronics shop, failing that I wonder if it can't just be bridged -- if you just have a fairly well regulated USB port instead and charge via that then the inductor is of limited use.

diegopalacio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I found this in an old thread:

"I found someone on a forum identify it - its real name is a 600 MegaOhm Common Choke [the DS Lite's EM10] (- It cost me about $2 for one) . I understand its purpose is to protect the circuitry from variations in the input power supply. Some people just remove it and short the terminals.

Knowing its made made it much easier to find local suppliers. I ordered one from RS Components and 24 hours later (ie now) have installed it. It is charging as I type this. Really pleased with RS's service".

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Small m is usually milli, which is 10^-3, and if it was a 600 MegaOhm (mega is 10^6) then at 5V you would only get 0.00000833333333mA passing through it. To charge up a 850mAh battery would then take over 11000 years.

diegopalacio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Small m is usually milli, which is 10^-3, and if it was a 600 MegaOhm (mega is 10^6) then at 5V you would only get 0.00000833333333mA passing through it. To charge up a 850mAh battery would then take over 11000 years.
Thanks for the clarification. I suppose that the piece could be 600 milliohms. At least, now we can say that the EM8 is a wire wound SMD common mode choke.

cowboy619

Trophies
XP
Country
I found this in an old thread:

"I found someone on a forum identify it - its real name is a 600 MegaOhm Common Choke [the DS Lite's EM10] (- It cost me about $2 for one) . I understand its purpose is to protect the circuitry from variations in the input power supply. Some people just remove it and short the terminals.

Knowing its made made it much easier to find local suppliers. I ordered one from RS Components and 24 hours later (ie now) have installed it. It is charging as I type this. Really pleased with RS's service".

Hey! Have you got a link from RS Components? Also keen to order some EM10. Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    More than i have. I have a bible and a Chiltons book about my truck.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I have a bible too
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He thinks hustler magazine is a bible
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and as I previously mentioned, I don't like reading books online bc it feels more like reading some document (although that's what books essentially are)
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 wish Taylor Swift did a meet and greet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's okay if you're a fan of hers that's your taste
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty have you seen the cholate factory movie? the one with Gene wilder, and the johnny Depp one?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, I only watched the johnny depp one and for some reason the tom and jerry version of the gene wilder one
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa what type of truck do you have? Chevy or a Ford? I member
    according to Hank Hill that was one of the most important decisions a man made when getting a truck
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Chevy Silverado
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, I never watched king of the hill
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    When it's low on gas he just dumps a gallon of bud wiser inside it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh that be wasting it, I'd drink it and walk.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have your homes plumbing system connected to the factory
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That would be cool. I'd get drunk when showering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You did that in elementary
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty you could get the basic idea watching a few episodes
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to buy a battery for my truck last week, freaking $280. I remember when batteries used to be like $50.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa where did you buy it from? Autozone? Autozone has their stuff overpriced, Sams club and walmart is cheaper
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa the 50$ lifetime warranty ones, yall had it good
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta buy new windshield wipers pretty soon least they're cheap so many different brands these days
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Costco actually, Its a Diehard battery.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Heard ceramic is the material to go with now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But mine has 5 hamsters in it...Top of the line.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: But mine has 5 hamsters in it...Top of the line.