Hardware Need help identifying a label on a motherboard component

Jared96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So maybe this is the right place to post this?

Anyways, my brother asked me to look at his laptop after it had been out of commission for a while now. Upon opening it up and realizing it got super hot in one area near the CPU, i noticed it was clearly burnt/fried from what looked to be some sort of short circuit. The label for the component is 'PQG1" and there is an identical part labeled "PQG2". I kinda just want to know what it stands for and what it actually is. Tried searching around google with no luck so thought id just try here. Thanks in advance with any help.

Jared96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, ill get some in a few minutes, getting things cleaned up so nothing gets lost. And i already know that the motherboard will be needing replaced, but this is just my curiosity now

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
1IRLY1R.jpg

What do the chips themselves say? Looks almost like a power circuit.

Edit: It could be fixable...

Jared96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do the chips themselves say? Looks almost like a power circuit.

Edit: It could be fixable...

It would almost make sense if it was a power circuit as it did happen after it was unplugged from its charger and then powered on, my brother had said it actually had a little puff of smoke even. As for the writing on the chips themselves, just a string of letters and numbers, "6932AGA3H1D". Thanks for adding the image, wasnt sure how too, but now i do and should have just looked harder haha

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
It would almost make sense if it was a power circuit as it did happen after it was unplugged from its charger and then powered on, my brother had said it actually had a little puff of smoke even. As for the writing on the chips themselves, just a string of letters and numbers, "6932AGA3H1D". Thanks for adding the image, wasnt sure how too, but now i do and should have just looked harder haha
Any spacing that you skipped on there?

With the image, you will still need to upload to imgur or something.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you guys dumb? It's an IC capacitor. It's blown, and odds are where it resides it powers the processor. Looks like it got hot and burnt the processor. Then it grounded the capacitor and blew it. You could pick those up at radioshack once upon a time. But, at this point it would probably be worthless. You should be able to follow at least one of the traces to see where the supply power goes. If it's to the processor then throw the whole thing in the trash.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Are you guys dumb? It's an IC capacitor. It's blown, and odds are where it resides it powers the processor. Looks like it got hot and burnt the processor. Then it grounded the capacitor and blew it. You could pick those up at radioshack once upon a time. But, at this point it would probably be worthless. You should be able to follow at least one of the traces to see where the supply power goes. If it's to the processor then throw the whole thing in the trash.
I never knew caps came in plastic packages like that. What are the extra six pins for?

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never knew caps came in plastic packages like that. What are the extra six pins for?
The component that is smoked is a power IC. The components next to it are mini capacitors. And actually taking a closer look at that board the pqg1 is feeding the plg1 circuit. If you look to the left on that pic you will see two more labeled pqz1 and pqz2.
These are referred to as Charged IC capacitors. They aren't capacitors really though. More like mosfets.
contribution+of+19V_5V_3V.JPG

I knew I would find a pic somewhere.
Pic is from here. http://adiedkhazbook.blogspot.com/p/httpwww.html

Last edited by FaTaL_ErRoR,

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
The component that is smoked is a power IC. The components next to it are mini capacitors. And actually taking a closer look at that board the pqg1 is feeding the plg1 circuit. If you look to the left on that pic you will see two more labeled pqz1 and pqz2.
These are referred to as Charged IC capacitors. They aren't capacitors really though. More like mosfets.
contribution+of+19V_5V_3V.JPG

I knew I would find a pic somewhere.
Got it, that's what I was thinking before you said the IC was a cap. My bet is on a power regulator for the CPU.

Jared96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer, I am dumb when it comes to something like this actually, I don't really know anything about circuitry which is why i came here to ask.
But anyways, my guess would be most likely it has to do with the graphics and not the actual CPU as the computer would still boot but the screen would go black after it getting hot in that area and would still be able to hear it running. I'd assume if was the CPU, it wouldn't boot at all?

Thanks for answering my question though, my curiosity was just getting to me on this one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...