Need Help - I don't Want This to Happen Again...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Defiance, Feb 20, 2008.

Feb 20, 2008
  1. Defiance
    OP

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Well I was downloading a Wii Iso, Twilight Princes, and it was in the uTorrent like usual. I already had Mario Galaxy and Battle Revolution downloaded too. Anyway, my cable company sent an e-mail saying they found me downloading the file and was going to shut down the internet! [​IMG] This was about 2 weeks ago, but I think I realized why I got caught. I didn't put the Encryption one because I was trying to make it go faster. [​IMG] I know now to keep it on, but is there anything I can do to make sure I don't get in trouble again? Someone recommended me PeerGuardian and it seems to be working, but I can't be sure. I'm even afraid to download DS backups. [​IMG]

2. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    PeerGuardian and InvisibleBrowsing are good choices.

3. quadomatic

Member quadomatic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Using private trackers would help

4. Melchizedek

Member Melchizedek GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Can this happen using Usenet?

5. Tweaked

Member Tweaked GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I have no idea what the hell a private tracker is.

I just rely on big name torrent sites, if anyone could tell me about private trackers and how to go about applying for membership would be awsome :]

6. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    When you use torrents the bittorrent client does give out your IP address. Even if your using peerguardian, they could still find you. All peerguardian does is block any known IPs that could be the Nintendo and so on from connecting to you. These people arn't stupid and will use alternative IP addresses that peerguardian will not block. Even if your using private tracker their is an element of risk. Nintendo themselves could easily get invited to the private tracker, just like anyone else. Using torrents these days, you may as well just send you name and address to them.

To make it safer its better to use the newsgroups. This way, no ones connecting to you and you pretty safe. The only guaranteed way of not being caught is to not download anything illegal. Your lucky its only your internet connection thats being threatened, it could be a lot worse and you could be sharing a cell with bubba.

7. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Usenet is a lot safer bet. First of all you arent having to share your IP with potentially hundreds of other users over an insecure connection. Secondly, you can get SSL usenet.

8. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

HTTP downloads for the win I think.

9. Defiance
    OP

United States
    What's a newsgroup do?

10. Xenon312

Newcomer Xenon312 Newbie

Estonia
    Is it just me, or does this thread just look like the question "How do I pirate safely?"
    Technically discussing about warez vaguely like this does seem to bypass the forum rules, but I'd still close this topic.

11. rightguardsport

Newcomer rightguardsport Advanced Member

United States
    I would recommend not downloading anything for a while. There are multiple Anti-P2P companies out there constantly looking at IP with heavy bandwidth usage. Odds are your IP is on their watch list so I would lay low for a while. Check out the peerguardian forums for more info on this subject.

12. Defiance
    OP

United States
    Wow, this pretty much doesn't help. Most of you people pirate like 50 games, and I've only done like two. Ironically Zelda was one of the ones I actually owned. And yet I get in trouble, wow this sucks.

I'm sorry, I'm just really depressed now, I'm really into this hacking/modchip stuff and now I have to let it all go...

13. Shadowhawk22

Newcomer Shadowhawk22 Member

Canada
    Go sign up with a video game rental service, buy an LG drive, and copy them that way. At least then you are supporting the rental companies who support the game dev's. Or, maybe you could buy the games you really love, and feel content? :-P

14. quadomatic

United States
    Yeah, I recommend that if you've gotten in trouble downloading, that's probably a sign that you should stop downloading.

15. rightguardsport

Newcomer rightguardsport Advanced Member

United States
    I guess you can say its just bad luck. Your IP was randomly scanned the day you were DLing Zelda. I know it sucks but the best thing for you to do is to not download. You don't want to lose your internet service or even worse, get sued. If you do decide to continue downloading, I would strongly recommend using Peer Guardian. Its not 100% safe but then again, no illegal activities are.

16. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The newsgroups/usenet has been mentioned here a few times. Have a look through the forums or google it. You also have to pay for usenet but theirs no uploading and you can download at your internets full speed.

I also agree with what rightguardsport said, don't download for a while. They will be keeping a very close eye on you.

17. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    do you think they'd find this topic?

If so, whoever's reading this; you have the most annoying job in the world, you should quit.

18. Defiance
    OP

United States
    Any other suggestions? [​IMG]

19. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Big companies have been known to pretend to be release groups releasing games and catch people's IPs through torrents and other p2p.

20. quadomatic

United States
    This is yet another reason why private trackers are great. You won't have these sorts of problems on private trackers.