Hacking Need help clearing up 'code type' ambiguities

SuperUltraDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There doesn't seem to be much mention of the distinctions between the types cheats that are available for homebrew. As far as I've been able to figure out, there are Action Replay codes (AR), Gecko codes, Ocarina codes, and WiiRD codes. Are these different names for the same thing? Which of these formats can the various homebrew applications use (USB Loader GX, DIOS MIOS, GeckoOS, Neogamma, etc.)?

The following links are the only resources I've come across that have good information on the formats:

http://smashboards.com/threads/guide-to-ar-and-gecko-code-writing-for-complete-noobs.336650/
http://vggts.macrosonic.org/where/wiird/gamecube_codes_with_geckoos.htm

I understand that GCNcrypt decrypts the AR 4-4-5 style code to the 8-8 format described on the smashboards link. Then the AR to WiiRD converter turns the AR code into a WiiRD code, or Gecko code (are these two the same? Which apps can use them?).

The other program I've seen is the Cheat Code Manger (can be found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/internetexplorers-melee-codes.327311/). Are there different versions of this? I understand that it generates gct files from raw codes, but I've seen screenshots of this program with the title 'Gecko Cheat Code Manager', and also 'Ocarina Cheat Code Manager' (does this mean Gecko and Ocarina the same?). Are these raw codes in Gecko format or AR format? Can gct files be generated from all the different types of raw codes? In the end it's just assembly hacks right? I'd assume they're all gct-compatible.

I'd appreciate any help clearing this up. I've had a really hard time getting codes to work for SSBM "1.2" (same as 1.02?). I have tried USB Loader GX via DIOS MIOS 2.10 (Ocarina/Gecko??), and in GeckoOS (do I need the USB Gecko device for cheats to work here? If so, GeckoOS is out of the question). I've got a feeling that I'm grabbing codes from all kinds of different sources, and the Cheat Code Manager is generating nonsensical bits in the gct files. Feel free to get technical with me. It helps me understand. I have an EE background; and I've done a fair amount of x86 assembly hacking in some SP PC games.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There are three format:
- Action replay (usually from a private company, like Datel); it's using its own format and need decryption/conversion to be used by another plateform or program.

- Ocarina (Gecko codes, or WiiRd codes are the same). It comes from the name of the device/application used to create them. You need an USBGecko device to connect your Wii to PC, and a debugger (WiiRd) to analyze the game's memory to find cheat codes.
These codes can be applied either on the fly (by using WiiRd while playing, you can enable/disable the cheats, modify values etc.), or can be loaded at game launch from an external file to patch the memory for all the session (always active).

The Ocarina codes can be found in two formats:
1. Readable/editable by humans (.txt)
2. Binary format readable by the console (the .txt converted to .gct).
They are the same things, just that the console need the .gct format if loaded from a file.
You can use the non binary format in Wiird.

.gct can be generated from the Ocarina/gecko/wiird .txt format. Maybe AR converter can convert directly from AR to gct. I never used them so I don't know.

Edit:
as you said you don't mind technical informations, you might be interested in this:
http://geckocodes.org/index.php?arsenal=1
This explains what all these codes means. the first byte is the command, followed by the address, and value.
The default base address (ba) is 0x80000000.

To write value 48000084 at address 80175D3C : 04175D3C 48000084
04 = write 32 bit at address
ba+175D3C = 0x80000000 + 0x175D3C = 0x80175D3C
48000084 = value to write

- There is another less common format, usually used for games which require a lot of codes (like SSBB) because Ocarina is limited to a number of codes, named gameconfig.txt
it contains plain text commands and direct memory addresses and values instead of using a codified structure like AR/Gecko codes.
#Version: 0.1 (01.11.2011)
SUKE01:
poke( 80175D3C, 48000084 )
poke( 80176464, 60000000 )
poke( 8017682C, 60000000 )
poke( 80176B48, 48000090 )
etc.

You don't need a Gecko device to use cheatcodes.
If you are trying to use cheatcode with DIOS MIOS (Lite), you probably miss SD(or usb)/sneek/kenobigc.bin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade