Need advice on resetting after first modding attempt

lnunc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, sorry if this already being discussed. I tried my hand at modding a used japanese 3ds (old version) and due to many dumb mistakes such as accidental card corruption the device is really janked up. I still have the luma and godmode9 menus on the 3ds itself but can't run them since the sd card had to be reformatted. Needless to say I am stuck. Is there any possible way to "factory reset" the device or remove the already installed extras so I can start from the beginning and try again? Or is it just not worth the effort? Any advice would help, thank you.

zeldaxlink64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, sorry if this already being discussed. I tried my hand at modding a used japanese 3ds (old version) and due to many dumb mistakes such as accidental card corruption the device is really janked up. I still have the luma and godmode9 menus on the 3ds itself but can't run them since the sd card had to be reformatted. Needless to say I am stuck. Is there any possible way to "factory reset" the device or remove the already installed extras so I can start from the beginning and try again? Or is it just not worth the effort? Any advice would help, thank you.
Reinstalling CFW after removing it is completely unlikely to fix the issue.

Could you describe as many of the dumb mistakes that you made? Card corruption, as long as it isn't a hardware issue with the card itself, can probably be fixed by reformatting it, but you will need to be more specific re: the others.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What exactly makes you think your card is screwed since it was reformatted? Make sure its FAT32 and go to the restoring cfw page of the 3ds hacks guide.

lnunc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Could you describe as many of the dumb mistakes that you made? Card corruption, as long as it isn't a hardware issue with the card itself, can probably be fixed by reformatting it, but you will need to be more specific re: the

Could you describe as many of the dumb mistakes that you made? Card corruption, as long as it isn't a hardware issue with the card itself, can probably be fixed by reformatting it, but you will need to be more specific re: the others.

So I finished adding the CFW guide and then tried to do a region change following the guide. Found out the card that came with the 3ds was too small to hold the files needed for a region change and tried to do a card transfer. I removed the card without ejecting by accident which corrupted the card. I reformatted the card and was able to get the base 3ds files onto the card I am using by putting it into the 3ds. I tried to use the recover CFW guide, but it really did not help anything. I am able to access the rosalina menu, the godmode menu but not the luma menu. and any applications like homebrew launcher also fail to load, it gives me a long code of errors and just says "an exception has occurred". So basically if I had not tried to do a region change it would probably be ok.

zeldaxlink64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I finished adding the CFW guide and then tried to do a region change following the guide. Found out the card that came with the 3ds was too small to hold the files needed for a region change and tried to do a card transfer. I removed the card without ejecting by accident which corrupted the card. I reformatted the card and was able to get the base 3ds files onto the card I am using by putting it into the 3ds. I tried to use the recover CFW guide, but it really did not help anything. I am able to access the rosalina menu, the godmode menu but not the luma menu. and any applications like homebrew launcher also fail to load, it gives me a long code of errors and just says "an exception has occurred". So basically if I had not tried to do a region change it would probably be ok.
OK, try using a new SD card and be absolutely certain to follow every step of the empty SD guide again, and then attempt a region change.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I removed the card without ejecting by accident which corrupted the card.
PC recovery software is usually helpful at that point, but it's much too late for that now.

and any applications like homebrew launcher also fail to load, it gives me a long code of errors and just says "an exception has occurred"
Usually Homebrew Launcher failing to load means you didn't copy boot.3dsx to the card, as required by https://3ds.guide/restoring-updating-cfw .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto