Misc NDS Wifi USB thingy?

Sigma83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo has that USB wifi thing that you plug into your USB slot if you don't have a wireless router. Does this usb plug actually generate a wifi signal/ access point? So I could use the DS browser or msn or irc at home where I do not have a wireless router?

Thanks.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it does just that....creates a WiFi hotspot for your DS to connect with. But you must at least have broadband internet, dial-up won't work. ASnd you must have the PC on for it to continue working.

Intruder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Do all usb wi-fi adapters are suitable for use with DS?
I found this --->
compex wireles g network adapter iwaveport wlu54g usb adapter
and I don't know if it will do the job...

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dial-up actually works for lower latency games like Animal Crsooing. I played with a friend who lives so up north that 56k is the only solution. And she was using a Official Nintendo usb dongle with her dial-up 56k. There was some lag when entering houses but it was perfectly playable.

chalupa

Trophies
Website
nandatoe.tk
XP
Country
United States
the wifi usb did not work on dial up for me. when i got broadband i gave mines to a friend. it works fine for his ds and wii but homebrew cant use it.

Mortenga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bought the nintendo dongle thingy the other week.
Has a really good range on it.
My PC is upstairs and I can sit on the sofa downstairs after closing all the doors before me and still have good signal.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have the Nintendo dongle and it works, kind of..
I have to say I bought it when the Wii came out primary to check the various channels and updates, but I never got it to work as it should.
I found out later on that it works flawlessly with the DS, in fact my brother became addicted to Mario Kart once more after owning it for more then a year, however with the Wii I had problems to find the signal, I had to reinstall the drivers several times(there where 4 to choose from) and still every now and then my Wii can't establish a connection, even though PC and Wii are in the same room a few feet apart from each other.
From my experience, I get an unstable unreliable connection with the Wii, but as I said before a rock solid DS experience.
And I visited the Nintendo support site many times and I tried any possible trick, like disabling firewall or antivirus(heck, I don't have one) and manually configure access point.
Anybody else experiencing this kind of problems ?

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the Nintendo USB dongle and it works just fine for me, be it with the DS or the Wii. But both are in the same room as the PC. I don't think it has a wide range but i never really tested outside of the said room.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
so basically I could use any usb wifi dongle (e.g. from ebay for about £7) and I'll be able to play online?

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
so basically I could use any usb wifi dongle (e.g. from ebay for about £7) and I'll be able to play online?

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im pretty sure the nintendo wifi will only work with wii/ds not standard wifi equpiment?

true it does normaly out of the box only support nintendo DS/Wii , but if you use the hacked drivers and set it up as a softAP you can have anything use it.
Also some homebrew wifi apps dont seem to work unless its treated as a softAP not the NWFC.

i found the hacked drivers and info on how to set it up at Tutorial - Make Your Nintendo Wifi USB Connector A SoftAP

i havent had a problem with my nintendo usb wfc since i used the hacked drivers.

the only down side is the range.
the range sucks i cant go more then 10 feet away before it loses connection.

i would have rather gotten a wifi router for the same amount lol.

jim327

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have the Nintendo USB WiFi adapter and it works fine most of the time for the DS Lite, but since getting a Wii I have been leaving it on for long periods of time and it keeps overheating and switching itself off!?
I am now thinking of replacing my wireless router (which is not compatible with DS or Wii) so I can have access to WiFi without leaving on my PC for the Nintendo dongle.
Anybody know of any good ADSL Routers that are compatible that are still on sale in the UK?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1