Hacking NDS Rom Renamer?

sumpm1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I like to keep my roms neatly named. I have used Offlinelist, and Rominator, but neither of them helps much with strangely named roms. Needless to say, the names that these roms have are a mess, and if I extract the .nds files from the archives, sometimes the names are very non-specific. Is there an easy way to keep the roms named correctly?

Thanks

E-Vix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
For me offlinelist does that perfectly. It renames both the .zip as well as the .nds that is in that .zip. You do have to enable the built in rom renamer in the options menu though or it won't work
wink.gif

sumpm1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Vix. I did use the renamer, but it only works for certain files. So perhaps these other files are not the correct size according to the dat file. Without breaking forum rules: there are many files by different release groups, and they are the only that I have found.

E-Vix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
In theory it should work with any ROM whichever group released it. A ROM is an exact dump of the contents of a game cartridge, and unless the releasing group changed things inside the ROM they should all be the same.
What list did you use as a source for Offlinelist? I use the list from www.advanscene.com as it's updated on a daily basis. Out of all of the rom's I've downloaded (all 1698 currently released) I only had to redownload about 5 of them because they weren't being recognised by Offlinelist.
If I were you then I'd give it another go, and if you have a ROM that isn't being recognised by Offlinelist with the Advanscene Romlist then I'd suggest redownloading it from a different source.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Just to let you know, with Rominator, even with non-official dumps (such as bad dumps, or trimmed games), they will still be recognized by Rominator, as it does not judge an NDS by it's CRC, but rather by the header. This is one downside with OfflineList: The games must be 100% good dumps, can't have trimmed ones
smile.gif

sumpm1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will have to give the Rominator another go then. I couldn't get Rominator to recognize one of my roms, which made me give up on it pretty quickly.

sumpm1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright hankchill: I realized after reading your reply that you are the author of Rominator. Very nice work, I commend you. After you told me that Rominator will recognize non-oficial dumps, I tried Rominator again. I couldn't get it to recognize any of my roms. Then I went to File--> Check for Updates and realized that I needed to update my database. That was the missing link for me. I now got Rominator to rename some roms....SWEET!!! It even worked with VERY strangely named roms. You are the man!! No need for offlinelist now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.