Gaming NDS Motherboard circut / chip question

Crudeone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, hopefully someone smarter than me can help me out. My son dropped his NDSL on a tile floor and it stopped working. I took it apart and found that a small chip broke off the motherboard and I am not 100% sure what i am looking at. I think it is a surface mounted inductor but I am not sure. The chip that broke off sits just under the L2 Inductor and looks just like L5 and L6. All the chips have a 100 stamped on them. If it is an inductor what size inductor is it and where can I get one.

I have a picture of the area in question, I just don't know how to upload it to this post

Thanks
Crudeone

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
A picture can be uploaded to photo services like Imgur.com or Uppix.net

Other than that, I believe the best thing you can, and probably should do is replace the motherboard if it's broken by a fall.

Dealextreme might possibly carry these, but I am unsure what price they go for....
Use the Shoptemp shops, and it that fails, Google.

Crudeone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the pic info, Here is the pic.

r8Gq1.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not so hot at IDing surface mount stuff from simple pictures (letters by and large can mean anything the board designer wants) but that looks like a 10 Ohm resistor (100= 10^0- 101 would be 10^1=100 Ohms, the dot is to allow it to be read (not that 001 means anything)).

I can not tell if that is a broken trace (although you seem to still have a bit if so) or broken "feet" from the resistor- you get to clean it when replacing it) but it looks like you got lucky.

I would not suggest doing it long term but a simple solder bridge might see it spring back to life.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest NOT bridging the traces. It appears to be a voltage step up converter. Try searching Mouser or email the guys at sparkfun to see if they can help you get the part.

tiggerlator

Trophies
XP
Country
It is indeed an inductor, a coil of wire basically. bridging it probably will not work, but i would say would not do no harm to try.

smd-power-inductor-97.jpg

Crudeone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok' that for verifying that it is an inductor does anyone know what size it is and where to purchase? I think the 100 means that it is a 10uh inductor but what should the specs be for the amp/mA rating?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only people who turn green need to see a doctor.