ROM Hack NDS Games with Voices! (U) and (J)

Kouta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyway, has anyone had any success with Rune Factory? I might look at it, I know it involves moving a lot of files tho... In like, a mess that's a complete dir or something? Still, I do hate the english in the game. Some girls sound utterly retarded
tongue.gif

Rune Factory doesn't like being repacked. At all. I even tried unpacking and repacking without editing any of the files and still it will not work... guess we'll all have to settle for the silly English voices.
frown.gif

Ribonizer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I noticed that as well, it seem to indeed just fail to boot whenever anything in it has been moved... Really strange... Could it have a sort of checksum check?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Kouta NDStool (what DSlazy uses) is not great with some roms and flash cart combos. Deufeufeu posted a simple fix at one point that worked for some people, unfortunately I do not have a copy to hand.

The the DS file system is well documented however so you could just stick it on the end and repoint:
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#dscart...roromfilesystem
Remember to alter the rom size in the header as well if you extend the file.

You might be able to trim the soundfile (do it properly rather than just hacking off the end and reinsert with NDSTS:
http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/tools.htm

If you need the DS sound file specs a lot of the threads about DS soundfiles I have posted in have a couple of links and guides that should help (expect an edit later but I have to go out in about 2 mins).

calvin_0

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
well i dont have the data file with me now, but try looking for the file which control the font....it should have a file like that

yup...to solve the font problem, just replace the font_jp.bin in the japanese version with the english version (under the same name)....if that doesnt solve, you may need to replace the font_pal.bin as well.

OuterRem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to ask an incredibly stupid question. Are you changing the actual game on the cartridge so that it plays on your DS with undubbed sounds. Or are you modifiying a ROM file so that it has english text and japanese sounds, to play on a DS emulator?

Before you crucify me, I just want to point out that once I know this, I can probably make the adjustments I need. But I honestly can't imagine how you read the DS cart from your computer. Do I have to make hardware modifications to the DS to do that?

OuterRem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a mixture of both.

Modify a ROM, then copy it over to a flash cart (R4, M3, G6, etc) and play it on a DS.
So the fact that I actually own Luminous Arc (EN version) really has no bearing on if I modify the game, because I'll be loading a ROM I 'acquired' onto a 1+GB SD card that I load using that EvoDS device?

Or do I somehow RIP the ROM off of the actual game and place it into the SD card, so I can modify the SD card version and play it off of that from now on?

Regardless, anything to get rid of Vic's voice. He's a nice guy, I've met him, but no, he can't be the reason I give up on Norio or Aya's voices.

calvin_0

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
well i recently just undub Bleach DS...and i'm still trying to undub megaman ZX....

have anyone succeeded undubed MegamanZX?

Hypershell

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had moderate success with MegaMan ZX. The problem is that there is no english replacement for the vocals, so pretty much the only way to do it is to "fool" the japanese game into displaying english text, rather than trying to work the other way around.

My GBATemp thread is here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=55928

The biggest issue is that non-story-relevant NPC text, as well as the disc database, will crash when file-swapped in that manner, so I had to leave the japanese files in for them. But the hack removes the japanese font, so you get a garbled mess. Still, sub-quests and story-relevent text is all readable in english with japanese voices. If I'm ever feeling adventurous enough to edit the garbled files by hand, it may be conceivable to fix them. But it would be difficult.

Also some japanese text in the form of images are still there, and the credits and sub-quest titles are garbled for unknown reasons. But the game is stable, at least. I would presume that whatever images are left to edit are in the overlay folder, but they're only named by number, so unless there's some app that can actually display their contents, there's not much I can do there.

calvin_0

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
ya. as i though the worst....totally remove via programming.....

btw i tried doing text injection too but without much success >.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only!.. It doesn't make a bit of difference guys. The balls are inert.

JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THIS!

Stop it. DON'T OPEN THAT DOOR!

calvin_0

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
@Kouta NDStool (what DSlazy uses) is not great with some roms and flash cart combos. Deufeufeu posted a simple fix at one point that worked for some people, unfortunately I do not have a copy to hand.

The the DS file system is well documented however so you could just stick it on the end and repoint:
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#dscart...roromfilesystem
Remember to alter the rom size in the header as well if you extend the file.

can you please tell me where to find the address that hold the cart size? i dont really understand the link that you provided......thanks.

TripDyke

Trophies
Website
bichan.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Luminous Arc was my first undub, I did it yesterday with no problems. All I did was look through the data folders, took an educated guess that the strm folders were the audio, and copied the Japanese strm folders over the US strm folders. It worked great and I can now play this game with the sound on!
biggrin.gif

Psyren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can build one yourself. Take the strm folders from the japanese version and place them into the US version and rebuild the .nds file.

have you undub Lunar Knight?

if you have, can PM me the link? thanks.

Read how to do it, don't be lazy.

My issue with all of this (not trying to be lazy, of course) is the fact that I work and only own a Mac. While I have heard of a few programs (mostly ones like the DS TrimDrop), I have yet to find programs coded for the Mac that will allow someone to do this themselves.

That's why I have a small issue with not being able to do this myself. By all means, if you all know of programs that can help me do this myself I would love to see them, otherwise, I have to resort to asking for these completed ROM programs, not because I'm lazy, but because I cannot do these myself with my current computer and operating system.

My current wants would be to get a completed Lunar Knights, both Rockman ZX games, Megaman 5 TL, etc. If anyone knows of a set of programs that might be able to help me out, I would be very appreciative!

Thornberry

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to replace the Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary japanese voice files with the english Puyo Pop fever voice files?

I know that some of the Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary characters weren't in Puyo Pop Fever, but for the characters that were in Fever, is it possible?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-