nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

Kcacc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any possible way to run Pokemon Blaze Black 2/Volt White 2 on this through TWiLight++?
I have tried every concievable way to get this to work, from using older versions of TWiLight Menu++ and nds-bootstrap loader and older versions of the patch itself, to AP patching the rom and then patching it with the the Blaze Black 2 patch, changing around all of the settings (such as using ds mode, changing the clock speed etc.), to trying the nds forwarder, to trying to ap patch it through the cheating menu, to trying to restore the dsi binaries by unpacking the rom through gm9 myself and inserting back those particular files, but nothing has worked.

It seems as I've invested so much time into this that the sunk cost fallacy has come into effect and I won't be satisfied until I absolutely know that nothing will work.

I would really appreciate help with this. Thank you profoundly in advance.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any possible way to run Pokemon Blaze Black 2/Volt White 2 on this through TWiLight++?
I have tried every concievable way to get this to work, from using older versions of TWiLight Menu++ and nds-bootstrap loader and older versions of the patch itself, to AP patching the rom and then patching it with the the Blaze Black 2 patch, changing around all of the settings (such as using ds mode, changing the clock speed etc.), to trying the nds forwarder, to trying to ap patch it through the cheating menu, to trying to restore the dsi binaries by unpacking the rom through gm9 myself and inserting back those particular files, but nothing has worked.

It seems as I've invested so much time into this that the sunk cost fallacy has come into effect and I won't be satisfied until I absolutely know that nothing will work.

I see no reason why those hacks wouldn't boot.
Unfortunately, you're out of luck.

Reactions: banjo2

Kcacc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see no reason why those hacks wouldn't boot.
Unfortunately, you're out of luck.

Well it's not really that they won't boot at all. What will happen is that I'll get into the game and then some random even will trigger a white screen while the music continues playing, such as entering battle, moving to a new area, teaching a pokemon a move etc. Sometimes I get an hour of gameplay and sometimes I get one minute. Honestly it would probably be less frustrating if the game didn't boot at all.

yugi3oh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

download a prepatched version of the rom hack from google that worked for me

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.42.0

Included in TWiLight Menu++ v20.4.0

What's new?
  • B4DS mode: ROMs up to 8MB can now be loaded into the DS Memory Expansion Pak for faster loading!
    • If an M3, G6, or SuperCard GBA flashcard containing 32MB of RAM is detected, then the ROM size limit is 32MB.
      • You'll need to launch the DS ROM via TWLMenu++ for this feature to work.
  • B4DS mode: You can now press SELECT+Down to lower sound volume range to half. Press SELECT+Up to revert back to normal.
  • You can now have DSiWare read TWLNAND contents (or just `photo` folder) from the SD card.
  • Pre-set default settings are now implemented, if some aren't detected in `sd:/_nds/nds-bootstrap.ini`.
Improvement
  • The main arm9 code (first run when nds-bootstrap is booted by .nds loaders) has been recompiled as ARM code instead of THUMB, so boot speed should be improved a bit.
Bug fixes
  • By correcting and adding the remaining device list entries, DSiWare titles that read photos taken by the DSi or 3DS camera will now work properly (ex. Hidden Photo (DSiWare version), Sparkle Snapshots, etc.).
  • Fixed nds-bootstrap exiting out, if running from a Slot-2 flashcard.
  • Fixed local WiFi being locked to 0 bars, so local multiplayer now works again.
    • As a result, WiFi should no longer crash the game or cause an error, if running on DSi without Unlaunch.
    • Once again, this does not mean that cloneboot support is fixed. When it eventually does get fixed, it'll be stated in the changelog.
Bug fix & Regression
  • The top & bottom main screen options no longer work properly, with the game once again changing where the main screen is set.
    • This is done to hopefully fix unexpected issues (such as corrupt graphics and/or random freezes) when running DSi-Enhanced games in DSi mode.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

slimeballsol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-snip-

Well it's not really that they won't boot at all. What will happen is that I'll get into the game and then some random even will trigger a white screen while the music continues playing, such as entering battle, moving to a new area, teaching a pokemon a move etc. Sometimes I get an hour of gameplay and sometimes I get one minute. Honestly it would probably be less frustrating if the game didn't boot at all.

Did you ever find a solution? I am in the same exact boat as you down to the letter. I have scoured the entire internet and people are being so flippant about this issue. "just google xyz", "uSe tHe SeArCh bAr" and are completely ignoring how big of an issue this is. As if people who aren't trying to play obscure rom hacks don't know how to use friggin google. Something isn't right.

I have downloaded 12 copies of volt white and attempted to patch my own additional 5 copies, I keep running into the same brick wall as you. This is a big issue and no one is taking it seriously. Nintendo has pulled it's trump card I fear, and people are not paying this enough attention.

Last edited by x65943, , Reason: don't ask for copyrighted material or where to find it

Kcacc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-snip-

Did you ever find a solution? I am in the same exact boat as you down to the letter. I have scoured the entire internet and people are being so flippant about this issue. "just google xyz", "uSe tHe SeArCh bAr" and are completely ignoring how big of an issue this is. As if people who aren't trying to play obscure rom hacks don't know how to use friggin google. Something isn't right.

I have downloaded 12 copies of volt white and attempted to patch my own additional 5 copies, I keep running into the same brick wall as you. This is a big issue and no one is taking it seriously. Nintendo has pulled it's trump card I fear, and people are not paying this enough attention.

Not really. I tried using a smaller sd card (mine is rather large) and that helped a little bit, but really it just lengthened the amount of play time between crashes. I've made peace with it really. I'm just hoping that further releases with more overall stability may fix the problem.

download a prepatched version of the rom hack from google that worked for me

I did try this as well, but no dice.

Last edited by Kcacc,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.43.0

Included in TWiLight Menu++ v21.0.0

What's new?
  • The method used for the card read DMA alternative has been re-added as a new feature called Asynch Card Read!
    • This should remove some card-read-related lag that even TWL clock speed doesn't completely remove.
    • This is turned off by default, but TWLMenu++ turns it on by default, as it has a blacklist for some games to not use the feature.
Improvement
  • (@Pk11 and various) Updated in-game menu translations.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed where the system language would still be used in some DSiWare titles, such as A Little Bit of... Nintendo Touch Golf, regardless of set language setting.
  • Fixed slowdown in Tony Hawk's American Sk8land.
    • The asynch card read feature is required.
  • Jam with the Band now boots!
    • The game may encounter an error after entering your information.
  • The precise volume control feature can now be used if one or both of the card read LEDs are enabled.
  • Fixed NDSBTSRP.LOG not being written to the SD card, if both flashcard and SD card are mounted, and if the game is being run from the flashcard.
  • Some other minor fixes.

Jocelyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason Mario&Sonic at tbe Olympic Winter Games local multiplayer (not download play) doesn't work with Nds_bootstrap but it works with flashcarts, anybody why it can't be played with bootstrap?

Mebius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yep, and they're now released!
this is what you're looking for, and includes the below nds-bootstrap version as well.

v0.33.0

What's new?
  • Remember when we needed a Mario Kart DS ROM for SDK3-4 games to work or save?
    The ROM acted as a Donor ROM, and what that means, is that nds-bootstrap grabs the donor's arm7 binary, replacing the original ROM's arm7 binary, in order for the save patches to work, and there was a few side effects as a result.
    Considering that we implemented more save patches, why am I talking about this? Because guess what?
    The Donor ROM feature is back!
    Why, you may ask? Because there's a few SDK5 games that still don't boot, because the save patches aren't working for those games, and it is unknown why.
    Now that we re-added Donor ROMs, these games will now successfully boot:
    • Anpanman to Touch de Waku Waku Training
    • Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue (Japanese version of Professor Layton and the Specter)
    • Mimi's Party Fun
    • and around 30-ish more... (and no, this doesn't include Golden Sun: Dark Dawn)
    Unlike last time, where you just needed to set Mario Kart DS as a Donor ROM, you can now set a particular SDK5 DS game as a Donor ROM, such as Bookworm, which I recommend!
    (Thanks to @retrogamefan for the arm7 replacement discovery!)
Bug fixes
  • WarioWare: DIY and Jam with the Band no longer shows "An error has occurred".
  • B4DS: Heap is now always shrunk by 16KB for 64MB ROMs or lower.
    Does not apply to users with the Memory Expansion Pak.

Even though I have already set up Bookworm as the donor rom, Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue refuses to boot and keeps asking for a donor rom. I've even tried with the european version of bookworm and it made no difference. For reference, I'm using the latest version of nds-bootstrap and twilightmenu++.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow that really helped, thank you, what does card read DMA for stop playing multiplayer in this certain game?
Our card read DMA implementation is just buggy for now, and doesn't work properly on certain games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Even though I have already set up Bookworm as the donor rom, Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue refuses to boot and keeps asking for a donor rom. I've even tried with the european version of bookworm and it made no difference. For reference, I'm using the latest version of nds-bootstrap and twilightmenu++.
I can launch the game fine on my side.
Please upload "nds-bootstrap.ini" from "fat:/_nds/".

Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password