nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

Mebius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It seems that TWLMenu++ is setting the donor ROM path at DONORTWL_NDS_PATH, when Bookworm isn't DSi-Enhanced. I don't know why that is.
Try re-setting the donor ROM, or set a different SDK5 ROM as a donor ROM.
Strangely enough bookworm seems to be the only rom that's possible to set up as a donor rom. The "donor rom" option doesn't even show up with the other roms even though some of them are SDK5.
Is there a way to manually correct the donor rom path?

Last edited by Mebius,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strangely enough bookworm seems to be the only rom that's possible to set up as a donor rom. The "donor rom" option doesn't even show up with the other roms even though some of them are SDK5.
Is there a way to manually correct the donor rom path?
Yes, just change "DONORTWL_NDS_PATH" to "DONOR_NDS_PATH".

Reactions: banjo2

Torka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Trying to run NetHack 3.6.6 sends me into a black screen. Got older versions working but they seem to freeze as soon as the run starts.

Kcacc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see no reason why those hacks wouldn't boot.
Unfortunately, you're out of luck.

v0.43.2 fixed my problems with Pokemon Blaze Black 2 completely! It seems I may have been right thinking my overly large (1tb) microsd card causing problems with random reads was correct, since for curiosity sack I turned off Async and the problem came back. Thank you!

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.44.0
Hotfix has been released here.

Included in TWiLight Menu++ v21.1.0

What's new?
  • .nds/.srl files within the currently launched one, can now be booted!
    • This allows Pokémon Gen 4 to proceed to the Wii connection menu.
What's new? / Bug fix
  • Partial Cloneboot support has been implemented.
    • As this is partial, it only works in some games (tested and working in Mario Party DS and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games).
    • The guest console will require a patched Download Play mode, in order to avoid crashing on the Nintendo logo.
      DS/DS lite users can install FlashMe.
      Flashcard/DSi/3DS users can follow this guide.
      The requirement will (hopefully) be removed when full Cloneboot support is implemented.
Improvement
  • FAT table cache read/write speed have been improved, so games may boot slightly faster.
    • FAT table cache size is now stored.
    • This does not affect B4DS mode users.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed a regression which made some DS⁽ⁱ⁾Ware not boot.
  • Chances of the 3DS returning to the HOME Menu when either soft-resetting or exiting the game to TWLMenu++ have been lowered.
    • This may not affect some O3DS models, which always return to the HOME Menu as a result.
Known bug
  • When Pokémon Gen 4 attempts to connect to the Wii, it'll crash on white screens.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.44.2

Included in TWiLight Menu++ v21.1.1

Bug fixes
  • Cloneboot is now fully fixed!
    Now you can play with other DS/DSi/3DS console users, in the single-card mode of any DS(i) multiplayer game (and without the need for a patched DLP app), without the guest console crashing on the Nintendo logo!
    • If you've dumped your trimmed ROM using either GodMode9 or a previous version of GodMode9i, please redump using v2.7.0, in order for cloneboot to work.
  • WarioWare: Snapped! now boots!

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cloneboot is now fully fixed
afb.gif
I'm so happy sniff in the end you did it Robz :lol:
So how did you manage to make it pass the checks?
IIRC the binary was modified so the signature wasn't valid.
More importantly, do we need to trim our roms again or a trusted dump will work just fine?
Also sorry for all these questions, do games that reboot like new Super Mario Bros now?

I'm so happy we can finally ditch flashcards...

Last edited by Valery0p,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afb.gif
I'm so happy sniff in the end you did it Robz :lol:
So how did you manage to make it pass the checks?
IIRC the binary was modified so the signature wasn't valid.
More importantly, do we need to trim our roms again or a trusted dump will work just fine?
I got it fixed by unpatching the first 16KB of the ARM9 binary after game boot, and then removing the check for when reading the first 32KB of the ROM, which was the last thing needed to remove for cloneboot to work in v0.44.2.
Turns out that only the first 16KB of the ARM9 binary is sent to the other console from the host console's main RAM, and then both the rest of the ARM9 binary and the full ARM7 binary are sent from the ROM itself.
The 32KB check was intended to fix some AP issues, but unfortunately, was contributing to the cloneboot issue, so that's why it got removed.

The new GM9i version takes the RSA key at the end of cloneboot-compatible ROMs into account when dumping trimmed ROMs now, so if you've used GM9i to dump your trimmed ROM before the new version, you'll need to dump your trimmed ROM again with the new one.
Trusted dumps will still work fine.
If you used other ROM trimmers, then depending on which one you used, then cloneboot will or will not work.
Also sorry for all these questions, do games that reboot like new Super Mario Bros now?
Yes. Soft-resetting has worked for a while now.
There was another related issue I managed to fix for v0.44.0, so that Pokemon Gen 4 could access the Wii connectivity menu.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm so happy we can finally ditch flashcards...
Not yet.
Certain games such as Pokemon Dash and Golden Sun Dark Dawn still don't boot via nds-bootstrap.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.45.0

Included in TWiLight Menu++ v21.2.0

Bug fixes
  • Infrared (IR) features now partially work again!
    • As always, a DS game card with a built-in IR port is required.
  • Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver will no longer crash on black screens when trying to load save data.
  • The traditional patching method is now used for the DSiWare title, Castle Conqueror: Against, in order for it to boot.
Known bugs
  • Pokéwalker still doesn't connect.
  • Due to the fix applied for Castle Conqueror: Against, the game will not save, and the help menu will crash the game.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.46.0: Screenshots are here!

The above screenshots are taken straight from real hardware, without a capture card or an emulator!​

Included in TWiLight Menu++ v21.3.0

What's new?
  • (@Pk11 and @Robz8) You can now take screenshots of DS games!
    • Screenshots will be saved to `screenshots.tar` in `sd:/_nds/nds-bootstrap/`.
    • Due to hardware limitations, only screenshots of the main-set screen will be taken.
    • Limit is 50 screenshots. After reaching the limit, you cannot take any more, until you delete `screenshots.tar` in `sd:/_nds/nds-bootstrap/`, where it'll be re-created on next boot.
    • To take screenshots:
      • Open the in-game menu.
      • Select `Screenshots...`
      • Select the VRAM bank, in case if the screenshot looks incorrect.
    • This feature cannot be used in B4DS mode.
  • You can now step 1 frame, while in the in-game menu (by pressing R).
    • Useful for getting frame-perfect screenshots!
Improvements
  • (@Pk11 and various) Updated in-game menu translations!
  • The `Date modified` flag for the `.sav` file is now updated, when booting the game.
  • The in-game menu button combo now does nothing in DSi mode, since it's already inaccessible.
  • Asynch card read is now disabled in DSi mode, regardless of settings.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed some DSi mode compatibility on DSi consoles (at the cost of card data cache size).
  • (@Pk11) Fixed where the in-game menu would sometimes be blank.
Known bugs
  • Screenshots of ActImagine/MobiClip videos contain only black screens.
  • Screenshots of moonshineDS will only contain half the screen on either horizontal side.
  • The frame-stepping feature will not always work properly.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.46.1
Hotfix (v0.46.2) released!

68747470733a2f2f6d656469612e646973636f72646170702e6e65742f6174746163686d656e74732f3238333737303733363231353139353634382f3837343933313534303938363033363232342f73637265656e73686f7433312e626d705f2e706e67

The above screenshots are taken straight from real hardware, without a capture card or an emulator!​

v0.46.1 included in TWiLight Menu++ v21.4.0

Improvement
  • (@Pk11 and various) Updated in-game menu translations.
Bug fixes
  • (@Pk11) Screenshots of ActImagine/MobiClip videos are no longer blank!
  • Slot-1 will now remain disabled, if a DS game card with IR features isn't detected.
    • Fixes bug where waking from sleep mode causes the console to power off, when running a ROM of a game with IR features.
Known bugs
  • (Fixed in v0.46.2) Screenshots of ActImagine/MobiClip will still appear blank for a few games (ex. Mega Man ZX, Infinite Space).
  • (As of v0.46.0) Gen 5 Pokémon Games freeze when taking screenshots and don't advance a frame on R-button press.

BessieBess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this is the right place to put this. I'm having an issue with Harvest Moon Tale of Two Towns. For some reason, they all get stressed during festivals and such. This didn't happen when I was just playing from my DS cartridge normally on my 3DS, only on the copy I dumped myself and now using nds bootstrap loader. Is there an issue with the auto patcher now? I thought I saw it on the compatability list? I have the anti piracy bypass code active but maybe it doesn't help... my game ID was different than everyone else's for some reason. But I remember buying it new a long time ago from a gamestop so it can't be bad? Any help is appreciated :)

Edit: I feel like I should add the title ID is bkue 067e5e05. This title ID wasn't even in the cheat database so I had to rework it myself. The cheats work, but maybe this title ID isn't in the autopatcher or something. It seems a couple other people have the same ID in different countries, US, Canada. It's very confusing to me

Last edited by BessieBess,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this is the right place to put this. I'm having an issue with Harvest Moon Tale of Two Towns. For some reason, they all get stressed during festivals and such. This didn't happen when I was just playing from my DS cartridge normally on my 3DS, only on the copy I dumped myself and now using nds bootstrap loader. Is there an issue with the auto patcher now? I thought I saw it on the compatability list? I have the anti piracy bypass code active but maybe it doesn't help... my game ID was different than everyone else's for some reason. But I remember buying it new a long time ago from a gamestop so it can't be bad? Any help is appreciated :)
What's the TID shown on your side? If the TID is different, then that's likely why the auto-patching won't work.
You'll need to modify the ROM to have it contain the correct ID.

Reactions: banjo2

BessieBess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the TID shown on your side? If the TID is different, then that's likely why the auto-patching won't work.
You'll need to modify the ROM to have it contain the correct ID.

The title ID is bkue 067e5e05. That is the one I had to use with r4cce to get the game recognized. Is that not a good ID?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1