nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Occasionally (1/3 game boots) getting a 20 pixel buffer on the bottom of each screen where it repeats the last 20 as if it's stretching tiled. Not a big issue, but annoying none-the-less. This is the latest release on o3DS, latest nintendo update, LumaCFW.
This is a TWL_FIRM bug, not an nds-bootstrap bug.
To fix it when it occurs, wake the system from sleep mode.

Ciseka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Robz8 I have 4 questions (My english is crappy):

1.Sonic Rush Adventure crashes at the last scene of the game, when the credits come. Can you fix this maybe?
2.Is it possible to fix the Minigames in New Super Mario Bros DS?
3.Will sometime in the near future more games have Multiplayer compatibility, like Mario Party DS, Mario 64 etc. ?
4.Can you reduce the Lags in Animal Crossing Wild World if its possible (and the Mega Lag when you open the Inventory)?

Pixellc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anybody figured out how to get Sailing in Etrian Odyssey 3 to work? The game seems to run perfectly fine but trying to sail at the port hangs on a black screen.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Robz8 I have 4 questions (My english is crappy):

1.Sonic Rush Adventure crashes at the last scene of the game, when the credits come. Can you fix this maybe?
2.Is it possible to fix the Minigames in New Super Mario Bros DS?
3.Will sometime in the near future more games have Multiplayer compatibility, like Mario Party DS, Mario 64 etc. ?
4.Can you reduce the Lags in Animal Crossing Wild World if its possible (and the Mega Lag when you open the Inventory)?
1. It should hopefully be fixed in the next version.
2. Yes. The reboot functions will need to be patched. It is currently unknown how to do it.
3. The issue is that cloneboot isn't working. That will need to be fixed.
4. The lags will be reduced in the next version.
Has anybody figured out how to get Sailing in Etrian Odyssey 3 to work? The game seems to run perfectly fine but trying to sail at the port hangs on a black screen.
Sounds like an AP issue.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope. Haven't looked into the save issues.
All right no problem I will wait patiently for a fix or do you know if older versions of bootstrap have this issue? Keen to continue my attempt at finishing every Dragon Quest game in order lol.

Also I think I mentioned it months ago but Geometry Wars Galaxy does not work the graphics are all scrambled on bottom screen and top screen shows nothing been like that for every version of bootstrap I have tried.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Ciseka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. It should hopefully be fixed in the next version.
2. Yes. The reboot functions will need to be patched. It is currently unknown how to do it.
3. The issue is that cloneboot isn't working. That will need to be fixed.
4. The lags will be reduced in the next version.

Sounds like an AP issue.

Kk thanks, im looking forward for the next versions :). And i want to say that Animal Crossing Wild World also has very long loading times and objects like trees and buildings are despawning if you are far away, and Sonic Rush Adventure has graphical bugs in Cutscenes...

Last edited by Ciseka,

Syuein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I just remembered last night it was around 10th november last year (2 days give or take) when I got Tales of Innocence to work with intro.
Now I don't know whether it was updating nds-bootstrap or nds-bootstrap-sdk (I updated both of them that day) but one of them made it work.
Odd thing is though, 2 days before I updated them the intro didn't work.

Now if only someone could confirm it so that a fix could be implemented into future versions..

P.S. A friend of mine ripped the game just for me about 2 years ago. Said it was good, so I though I might give it a go since I'm a sucker for RPG games. I just applied the translation patch.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On both 7.2. and 7.3 Giana Sisters will not run at all after the white "loading... screen completes, it just stays with a white screen forever. I think this was working as recently as 7.1.

On Super Princess Peach I also noticed that on my N3DSXL the music pauses briefly when loading new areas as the screen goes black after emptying a pipe, but on the N2DSXL the music plays without interruption. I'm fairly sure I have the same version, settings, and rom for both. I even changed SD cards on the 3DS and got the same behavior. This is far from a deal breaker but I'm just curious if there's any explanation for this difference.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I saw that the GitHub repo has a DMA tree repo for NDS BootStrap, and I was wondering if there is an ETA on the release of ndsbootstrap with the DMA code applied, or a beta build of it that we can test?
I'd like to try out the games that do not work due to that DMA issue.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i havent looked at this much in along while as i stoped playing alot of DS gamesin favor for when i did, with emulation (deSuMe/melonDS) but now that my old AK2i is dead (random gibberish for CHIP ID/FF for HW ID) i wanted to ask, @Robz8 is there a way yet to launch DSiEnhanced games in DSiMode? (say for Pokemon Black/White/White2/Black2) as if it was possible to use DSi Mode WPA for Wifi lil easier n secure then having to have a second router/AP in Wep/Open with just mac filtering.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i havent looked at this much in along while as i stoped playing alot of DS gamesin favor for when i did, with emulation (deSuMe/melonDS) but now that my old AK2i is dead (random gibberish for CHIP ID/FF for HW ID) i wanted to ask, @Robz8 is there a way yet to launch DSiEnhanced games in DSiMode? (say for Pokemon Black/White/White2/Black2) as if it was possible to use DSi Mode WPA for Wifi lil easier n secure then having to have a second router/AP in Wep/Open with just mac filtering.
Nope, not yet.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bummer, thanks for the quick response, for these games since no wi do haveto keep an eye out for AP Patches, do the pokemon DS Games need AP Patches to work under NDS-Bootstrap? or is it just the Gen 5 games (B/W 1 &2)
Just the Gen 5 games and Conquest (and afaik, Typing Adventure).

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.17.1

What's new?
  • The arm9 side of cardEngine can now be set to be loaded in a cached region of the main RAM, instead of an non-cached region.
    This gives a bit of speed-up for some games, but makes some games not work.
    TWiLight Menu++ (starting with v7.4.0) already determines which games set ce9 to be loaded into cached memory region, so you won't need to set it manually.
  • Color mode option added. Only works with the custom loading screens for now.
    Can be set in TWiLight Menu++ settings (starting with v7.4.0).
@maorninja Done. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gfuel.com/products/goth-gf-collectors-box?utm_source=Klaviyo_campaign&utm_medium=email&ut...