Hacking NBA Jam Wii & System Menu Update

sixteenbuttons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry in advance for the noobish nature of this question...this is actually the first topic ive started so i apologize if it goes in some noob section instead of here....anyway.

hello all... this morning i went and purchased a retail copy of NBA Jam Wii....

Kind of to my suprise the game shipped with a system menu update. My Wii is currently running system menu 4.2u and i have the latest Homebrew Channel installed (v1.0.8, on IOS 58, which i installed using an clean IOS 58 installer)... i have not updated the shop channel or anything else.

I checked on WiiBrew and it said having the latest homebrew channel is a "workaround" for the 4.3 update. Does that mean if i install the disc update the homebrew channel will not be effected?

i have been waiting to play this game since i heard about it ... and was wondering if it was safe for me to update via the disc update? or, should i download priiloader or something that blocks disc updates? if i should just block system menu updates, what homebrew should i use to do so?

i know its lenghty post and a lot of questions, but any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. if theres any more info about my wii you need, let me know and i will provide it. Thanks in advance.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
updating to 4.3 may stub your cIOSs, but it is definitely easy to recover from since u will still keep the latest HBC

but I would still recommend installing priiloader and enabling some system menu hacks

If u need help downloading this and/or need a more details guide on how to do this. Download ModMii, run the "ModMii Wizard", and the questions, and follow the custom guide that will be built based on your answers

sixteenbuttons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks xFlak... i unfortunately cannot run ModMii Wizard because i am on a mac
frown.gif

i guess i just want to make sure running the update off the disc wont brick my wii.

all i really use HBC for is emulators and mplayer... so if the latest system menu update doesnt affect HBC, none of the Homebrew i use should be affected, right?

dn_angel000: is it necesarry for me to install IOS236 rev4 before starting the update off my retail disk? wouldnt that just be modified by the official update?

thanks for your help so far everyone...

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
emulators, mplayer and WiiMC would not be affected by an update

its not necessary for u to install IOS236 at all, even if some cIOSs get updated, your cIOS250 will remain intact for sure

edit: u should still install priiloader and enable some SM hacks

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since Nintendo updates install new versions of IOSs (including IOS36) IOS236 won't b overwritten so u won't have 2 wory about installing the TBR over and over again!

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dn_angel: You didn't even bother to read xflak's post I take it? You don't have to reinstall the trucha bug as long as you have at least 1 cISO installed. It doesn't have to be 236, there are lots of other cIOS install slots that work fine as well
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🚽 [flush] [walks in without washing my hands] Hi guys 👋 :)