Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

TheBerryBeast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but they dont sell wifi modules for 3ds xl only 3ds even though i think they have the same connector but havent found any confirmation on that.

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all,

I just finished the hardware mod on my 3DS and dumped an image. But how can I verify that it was successful without taking the risk of flashing the image back to the target?

win32diskimager ended with a successful message, 2 different dumps has equal content and file size is always 1.000.341.504 bytes. Opening it with a hex-editor shows "NCSD" at 0x100, a larger area of 0x00 from 0x200-0x012DFF and another lage area of 0x00 from 0x059400-0x23FFFF.

Can somebody confirm that, or has other key values in the image?

BTW: I attached some photos of my solution of the MMC-adapter - perhaps someone find it useful...View attachment 3627 View attachment 3628 View attachment 3629

just dump my new white 3ds xl

win32diskimager ended with a successful message, 2 different dumps has equal content and file size is always 1.000.341.504 bytes. Opening it with a hex-editor shows "NCSD" at 0x100, a larger area of 0x00 from 0x200-0x012DFF and another lage area of 0x00 from 0x059400-0x23FFFF.

same as you but my 2 dump are 988 807 168 bytes ... maybe because im on 4.4 ?

Reactions: yuyuyup

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great. Read this. However, unless I am wrong, you can only read/write raw without way to get keys. Also, has anyone tried to write an older firmware. Term used loosely, lol. Some devices have efuse be to prevent downgrading. One benefit is to revert to use an exploit. One was patched...there was another but I was told this privately. Cannot say type or details at all. Also when updates are applied, there may be security preventing simple flashing to revert.

Did not see anyone confirming they reverted. A guy was trying to do this with Wii U but was harassed into going private and closing his thread:-(

0nethe

Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
someone should make a tutorial about this

I agree !
I want to dump mine too but can't open it. I screwdriver succefully open the first 4 screws on the cover, after that I can't unscrew the rest. I almost f*cked them up trying to unscrew them.
I have this tool
41DUU00ib3L._SY300_.jpg

Can someone recommand me one tool? and where to find it ( Radio shake, Walmart,Home depot ....) ?

lightenup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Did not see anyone confirming they reverted.
I confirmed a downgrade from 6.1 to 4.5. Spzjulien a few posts up confirmed a downgrade from 4.5 to 4.4.

For some extra safety I recommend to also dump the upgraded firmware version before you attempt a downgrade such that it is possible to revert that downgrade.. Just in case Nintendo found some trick to detect and prevent execution of an older firmware version (e.g., by utilizing the presumed efuses contained in the SoC package).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I just wish that we could exploit the injection of CFW into the update partition of ROMs without breaking the signature. >.< Because then we could use something like the Gateway to install the firmware update from the ROM to the system. Hopefully a re-signer will be released, like the PS3/PSP have, so we can make use of such an awesome exploit.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I confirmed a downgrade from 6.1 to 4.5. Spzjulien a few posts up confirmed a downgrade from 4.5 to 4.4.
although, this is only if you have a dump made previously, but without this, it is not possible (yet) to downgrade your 3ds, right?
i don't know if anyone has any firmware update 'files', i doubt it, but, from comparing a dump from 6.1 to 4.5, amongst many people, it might be possible to convert a 6.1 dump to 4.5?

maybe you could copy over someone else's 4.5 files to your own dump, making it 4.5...? is each system file encrypted to your own 3ds? if not, then it sounds possible.

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
although, this is only if you have a dump made previously, but without this, it is not possible (yet) to downgrade your 3ds, right?
i don't know if anyone has any firmware update 'files', i doubt it, but, from comparing a dump from 6.1 to 4.5, amongst many people, it might be possible to convert a 6.1 dump to 4.5?

maybe you could copy over someone else's 4.5 files to your own dump, making it 4.5...? is each system file encrypted to your own 3ds? if not, then it sounds possible.

yeah u can revert your 3ds from your original fisrt dump ... if u got brand new 3ds with 5.1 or more .... no luck Can't downgrade

but if like me u buy 4.4 3ds then u can do what u want, update play new game then downgarde
allway backup firmware before downgrate, but so easy to do ...

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
yeah u can revert your 3ds from your original fisrt dump ... if u got brand new 3ds with 5.1 or more .... no luck Can't downgrade

you are saying that you cannot downgrade if you update past 5.1? why is that?

but what i want to know is, what will have to happen/be found so that i might be able to convert a firmware to a different version, by replacing files?
like, taking version 4.5 files from your 3ds and put them into my 6.1 firmware dump, making my dump into 4.5.
as far as i know, the firmware dump cannot be explored/opened etc? and this is because it is encrypted to each unique 3ds console?

TheBerryBeast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone confirm that you can downgrade from 6.2 firmware because i am going to send my 3ds for repair after a nand dump and they will probably update to this version.

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can anyone confirm that you can downgrade from 6.2 firmware because i am going to send my 3ds for repair after a nand dump and they will probably update to this version.

update to 6.2 1hours ago dump 6.2
then downgrade to 4.5 and reflash 6.2 dump to try it then downgrade again :)

so yes no problem at all

P

pasc

So like... you CAN already dump and write your firmware back ?

dump_process-jpg.3629

Since I don't feel like reading all of this here:

Is there a link to a instruction on how to do this ?

(What is that program loaded in this screenshot anyways?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds