OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
36.gif
Every time I see a translated screenshot, I feel like kissing each and every one of you.

Ryusui

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
watercrown.info
XP
Country
United States
Nagato said:
Edit 4: Ok, this is what it looks like inserted.
9DexB.png

Nice. Good to see my work looks good on screen.

Still...I think the page on the right should be moved up a bit, so it's centered vertically on screen. Want me to do it, or will that break something?

I also gotta ask: you've written up a dedicated ripper/inserter for these graphics, right? You have no idea how useful that would be for Death Note: The Kira Game. Could you take a look at it sometime and maybe see if you can adapt your tools to my purposes, or provide some source code so I can roll my own? Graphics are in two formats: the regular "GBA-style" 4bpp sprites and, believe it or not, nsbtx textures. IIRC, the cell data for the sprites is also stored in a separate file from the graphics data and palettes, if that's a problem - the sprites are "*_g.xap" while the cell data is "*_a.xap."

aibaby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this very fast translation~ Been following this thread lurking about ^^

Nagato said:
Ryusui said:
Still...I think the page on the right should be moved up a bit, so it's centered vertically on screen. Want me to do it, or will that break something?
I already went through and aligned everything after that image was taken.

This is what it looks like now:
NDaCy.png

All of the source code is in the tools folder on the SVN. Feel free to use it. I'm not really interested in writing any more graphic code than I need to so if there's anything different then I don't really want to make tools for it. The code on the SVN also makes a few assumptions about the formats to work for Nanashi no Game because I started to get lazy.

Edit: Just checked out the Death Note game you mentioned. There seems to be a small problem with parsing somewhere but I'm not sure where. I'll look into it. But if you extract the ncer/ncgr/nclr files from the xap files it should work fine.

Edit 2: This game uses a lot of features not implemented and has a few other related files that my tools don't deal with. It might actually take a bit of work to get things working properly. I hate dealing with graphics so you can implement anything required if you want.

One look and he figures it out. Nagato is a GOD.

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoever said it was impossible was an idiot, and that should be obvious. Even with no ARM knowledge it was obvious at a glance how the text worked, so it would have just been a matter of fixing it. Good job on hacking in VWF support and building the tools, seems impressive.

I also made a sample of a potential font for the RPG sections, hand-designed over the last hour or so.

It's loosely based on an internal font from the first game:
nanashi-internal.png

Here is the font I designed. It's a 200%-sized PNG, but I drew it as a 2bbp CHR file that you can easily convert to the 4bbp format DS games use (probably). If you're interested I'll upload it later.
newfont.png

It tries to be somewhat consistent with the graphics from the first and second games; none of the graphics there are 2x1-brushed, so these aren't either, and there's no old-school slanty exclamation points.

It should also mesh a little better with the fonts outside of the RPG scenes as well.

More to the topic, I'm disappointed that most of the screenshots and progress information seems to be hidden behind some SVN somewhere.

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nagato said:
Thank you for the font but pretty much everything is already finalized. I saw the font included in the archives already but I felt it wasn't very nice looking so I went with something more typical for an old school RPG.
I guess that's your decision, but to be honest the Dragon Warrior font and such really doesn't fit with this game, especially when you consider the differences between DW/FF and this one. Reusing an edited font tends to be a bad idea, which is really taken to the extremes in the translation of The Portopia Serial Murder Case.

QUOTEThe project isn't really an open project so keeping most everything private should be expected.
I don't really see the point of this at all, especially with claims about how the project is "100% translated" and yet we have no actual information past the first part of the first day. The Mother 3 blog was a lot better about this sort of thing, where you could see actual updates even when there was obviously more going on behind the scenes. (And it begs the question of why discussion of private matters are being held in a public forum, but I digress.)

It's also kind of irritating if only because I was one of the first people to examine the innards of the game and not being able to follow the progress ... bleh.

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's mostly from reading through the parts of this thread that you have revealed in and being put off by some of what I see.

I want more information because I want to at least be confident that I or others can point out possible flaws or improvements instead of getting a "finished" project that doesn't do the original justice.

That is doubly important in a game like this, where mythos and culture-specific wordplay are a big thing. For example, just how are you going to handle ?? It makes its appearance several times in the game (arguably the character you will end up seeing most often, even if you don't realize it!) and yet so far there is no discussion about it.

The same goes for other instances of text throughout the game, and the translator's insistence on having the final "creative" say is not reassuring whatsoever. How will you handle obtuse connections or things that don't translate well? The LP worked because it could simply pop up a subtitle afterwards to explain what was going on, or divulge the second meanings of phrases, but you don't get those liberties in a translation.

duckmouth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Xkeeper said:
I want more information because I want to at least be confident that I or others can point out possible flaws or improvements instead of getting a "finished" project that doesn't do the original justice.

Sounds like you should do your own version then chief.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
duckmouth said:
Xkeeper said:

Seconded. If you're THAT anal about it, then why are you even in this thread complaining when you could be using the time to make your own superior translation?

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
duckmouth said:
Xkeeper said:

Seconded. If you're THAT anal about it, then why are you even in this thread complaining when you could be using the time to make your own superior translation?

Simply because I do not have extensive knowledge of ARM and the hacking required for it, and (of course) all of the resources for it are private.

I guess I didn't realize that wanting to see a quality translation was such a problem for you people. Is that really how you take all criticism?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Whoa... How the HELL do you know they haven't discussed that specific kanji you took as an example? And how the HELL do you know that this won't be quality, just because YOU don't get to play with them.

You provide a font long after they've inserted their own font and made it work, and get mad when they don't want yours... get out of here.

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issac said:
Whoa... How the HELL do you know they haven't discussed that specific kanji you took as an example? And how the HELL do you know that this won't be quality, just because YOU don't get to play with them.

You provide a font long after they've inserted their own font and made it work, and get mad when they don't want yours... get out of here.
I'm not angry about the font. Can you not see that? I simply made a note about it and moved on. Get the stick out of your ass.

And if you think replacing a font is hard... hahaha. You're an idiot.

As for the rest... How can anybody know that? This game is extremely complex in terms of the wordplay it uses. The translator has already made a point saying he has the final say in how things are edited because he doesn't want people touching his gospel, and already from what has been posted it's obvious some things have been lost.

I don't care about playing it now (and haven't, actually, since this thread started!). I just want to see progress information, details, screenshots, whatever. Something other than vague "Well, we're done with 100% of the translation!" and still seeing nothing but screenshots of the first area.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Xkeeper said:
I don't care about playing it now (and haven't, actually, since this thread started!). I just want to see progress information, details, screenshots, whatever. Something other than vague "Well, we're done with 100% of the translation!" and still seeing nothing but screenshots of the first area.
It's funny how you think they have to actually show you/us the progress.
wink.gif
Hell, you probably think they have to keep working on it and release a patch as soon as they are finished, right?
Well, guess what. NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU WANT. Stop bitching around if you don't even care about playing the game. I mean, why the fuck do you visit this thread then? To take a look at pictures of the progress? What for?! So you can steal work or what.
You know, it's funny how there are always idiots annoying persons like you, making demands, wanting translation teams to work like you want and probably killing the whole project with your attitude. Oh wait, who am I telling, I mean it's not like you actually care, right?
wink.gif

Back to topic: I for one am really looking forward to the release, but take all the time you need. Those that aren't named Xkeeper got plenty of patience.
smile.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Seriously, XKeeper, if you came in here just to stir up crap, expect your posts to be removed soon.

Cut it with this attitude, or you might even face a suspension.

Criticism is always welcome, bashing everything and everyone (especially a translator/hacker's hard work) is not.

Feel free to open up another thread and create a better translation, if you feel like you could be doing oh-so-much better.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Translators always have the final say on what they want to do with their project. They can chose whatever font they want or anything, even to make it closed. They also don't' have to report on anything at all. They can also leave the project all together. Be lucky that anyone deiced to spend there own time translating a game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU