[N64] Locked myself out of my v3 GameShark with a Japanese exclusive

WaffleGM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I went to Japan this summer and brought home a lot of awesome imported games. Among them were N64, and because I prefer to keep my consoles’ hardware untouched, I thought I’d use a v3 GameShark as a converter. It worked fine on all of my games, but when I tried the Japan-exclusive Pocket Monster Stadium (the original, not the sequel that was localized in the US), it wouldn’t work. I recklessly decided to go through each key code and ended up locking myself out on the Banjo key code. Luckily I have a friend who let me borrow his copy of Banjo (my N64 collection is small, which is part of the reason I bought imports), but even that didn’t unlock it. I tried unlocking with every game I had, but nothing worked. The only game with a key code I haven’t tried is Yoshi Story, which I’m looking to buy online. In the meantime or the case that the game doesn’t work either, is there any way I can find out what key code this game has or if there’s another way for me to unlock the GameShark? I’ve never used a cheat device before and only have the Japanese copies of these games, so this would be the only way for me to play them without modifying my console.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I went to Japan this summer and brought home a lot of awesome imported games. Among them were N64, and because I prefer to keep my consoles’ hardware untouched, I thought I’d use a v3 GameShark as a converter. It worked fine on all of my games, but when I tried the Japan-exclusive Pocket Monster Stadium (the original, not the sequel that was localized in the US), it wouldn’t work. I recklessly decided to go through each key code and ended up locking myself out on the Banjo key code. Luckily I have a friend who let me borrow his copy of Banjo (my N64 collection is small, which is part of the reason I bought imports), but even that didn’t unlock it. I tried unlocking with every game I had, but nothing worked. The only game with a key code I haven’t tried is Yoshi Story, which I’m looking to buy online. In the meantime or the case that the game doesn’t work either, is there any way I can find out what key code this game has or if there’s another way for me to unlock the GameShark? I’ve never used a cheat device before and only have the Japanese copies of these games, so this would be the only way for me to play them without modifying my console.
The cheat codes are probably for another revision/different region of that specific game. GameHacking has a bunch of GameShark codes for N64 if you want to try them out first.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cheat codes are probably for another revision/different region of that specific game. GameHacking has a bunch of GameShark codes for N64 if you want to try them out first.
Cheat code is different from key code in regards to the Gameshark. From my understanding, the key code is to unlock the CIC chip at boot up.

So I'm guessing the Gameshark won't boot anymore since they don't own any games compatible with the key code, but that's just a guess.

Unfortunately, the Gameshark is a complete and utter buggy piece of shit. You're far better off just taking the N64's top shell off and playing Japanese games that way. Or stop being a cheap ass just buy a Japanese N64 with the proper cartridge cutout.

The only way to fix this is to reflash the bricked Gameshark with either another Gameshark (piggyback) or reflash the EEPROM chips with a programmer. Could also use a cartreader to flash it, but that's expensive.

EEPROM method: https://github.com/parasyte/n64rd/issues
Piggyback method: http://micro-64.com/features/gsrepair1.shtml
cartreader: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nintendo_64_forever/gameshark-pro-reflashing-t8485.html#p180265

List of key codes:
https://wiki.gamehacking.org/Hacking_N64#Key_Codes

WaffleGM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm guessing the Gameshark won't boot anymore since they don't own any games compatible with the key code, but that's just a guess.
Okay so I just confirmed via the micro-64 CIC list (can’t link because I’m a new user) that Pocket Monster Stadium and Banjo Kazooie share the same key code, but the GS still won’t boot. It stopped working after I tried Pocket Monster Stadium, and none of my other games will boot it, so I’m not sure what other key code it could be looking for. I’ll probably either piggyback or get a hyperkin converter instead, but I’d like to know what caused it if possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.