N3ds super stable 3d ,how does it work exactly as far as CPU and resource usage?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by weatMod, Mar 27, 2015.

1. weatMod
    OP

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    ok so i have been playing with my N3ds now that i got my CN finally
    and i have noticed that super stable 3d seems to work much better on some games than it does on others

i also have tried my friends US N3ds with legit carts

and i notice that OOT on my fiends US N3ds does not work well with SS 3d at all

it actually works a little better on my AU N3ds with GW

but SS does not work as well with OOT as it does with MM
    the difference is quite noticeable too

so my question is this, how does the N3ds handle the processing of the SS data?

does it have its own dedicated thread or core even that is specifically allocated to SS 3d processing?
    or some other way of allocating a specific set set of resources to handling the SS processing?

or does or can running a game that is more demanding and resource heavy "eat in" to the SS processing and slow it down?
    will more demanding titles cause SS to not work as well?

2. jrebey

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    I don't think the issue is CPU related. It uses the camera to determine your head position. If the light is too low it turns on an IR LED to illuminate your face for tracking (it may just do this all the time).

I've never had a problem with SS3D in either of the games you mentioned. It could just be bad lighting or how close you are holding the 3DS to your face.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Super-stable is kind of a crap shoot, it works best in a bright environment. Sometimes a bright screen in a dark room can momentarily fool it into turning the IR off, which will cause it to struggle to find your face once the light from the screen is no longer shining on as bright. It's just really finicky. I've noticed similar performance in all games, so I think you're just noticing a general variation and attributing it to the games, which isn't really the case.

From what I've read, the N3DS utilizes a quad-core processor, where the OG3DS was dual-core. One of the new cores is reserved for system/face-tracking and one is available for games; this compared to the OG which was a single core for games and a single core for system. In other words, it should not matter what game you play. Even a N3DS exclusive game would be restricted from using the core dedicated to face-tracking

Margen67 likes this.
  4. sneef

sneef GBAtemp Regular

Apr 10, 2006
    United States
    somewhere between emuLIFE and sysLIFE

This right here :teach:

[edit] to clarify, i have an AUS/EUR NN3DS, and a NA/US NN3DS XL, (and a japanese NN3DS but i'm gonna sell it.. it's still un-used), and noticed the EXACT same things.. literally the same, down to the different behaviour in OoT and MM... thought it was my OCD kicking in, but glad to see its not in my head... :) or, i hope it's not.. maybe you're all in my head!

weatMod likes this.
  5. mmn

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
    To answer the question about CPU usage, I'm pretty sure that SS3D is a hardware solution, working independent of the operating system--other than a switch to turn it on and off. So an intensive game wouldn't cause issues.

6. ewin00

ewin00 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2011
    Indonesia
    i feel like im just a beta tester for nintendo for they old 3ds product. but hey does a new 3ds have some framerate issue? you know from the old 3ds you will having that issue for maybe most of the games. like for example fantasy life when youre surrounding by a monster.

7. Kylecito

Kylecito eats warnings for breakfast

May 6, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    That's up to the developers to solve. The specifications are already known so there's no surprises. Take for instance One Piece. The latest Japanese game on the o3ds looks incredible, I'd say better than a Wii game, and runs 60 fps even with 3d on. Now look at Pokemon. The 3d models are so retardedly unoptimized that most of the time 2 pokes on-screen are enough to send the fps plummeting...

Lucifer666, Margen67 and ewin00 like this.
  8. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    2cinematic4u

minexew likes this.
  9. Kylecito

Kylecito eats warnings for breakfast

May 6, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire

Thank god the 3ds isn't powerful enough for lensflares, depth blur and chromatic aberration at the same time

Margen67 likes this.
  10. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    There is depth blur in Pokemon Y in Lumiose City but none of those other effects
    not that it doesn't look terrible on it's own though

ComeTurismO likes this.