Hacking N3ds 10.3 EMUNAND testing

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. There is no telling what this guy is asking people to do in a PM, not to mention that most people with a downgraded N3DS are new users who are likely to make mistakes. Plus, why is he asking people to PM him rather than posting in the thread for all to see. All of these things worry me and are why I cautioned against doing it without a hardmod.
I figured it was so he could help ensure people who aren't that competent with this stuff wouldn't try it. Either way, lacking information is never good. Main thing I'd want to see is if it's actually a complete upgrade or not, that if it actually boots newer games without anything extra.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure that's something similar to people downgrading and showing 9.2 while actually not successfully downgraded. You probably created some kind of Frankenfirm that shows 10.3 while actually not being 10.3 so unless you have current >9.5 games running without firmware spoof, I don't really believe you achieved anything noteworthy.

Yeah, I suggest the same.
My first thought was that he might have updated certain titles only and not a full FW update.
Best bet would be that he posts the steps here so that experienced users can give their feedback.

Until he proves that he can run games without spoof AND enter eShop w/o spoof too, I say dont risk it.

I am thinking he probably accomplished something similar to what @Ninoh-FOX did with his semi-updated 10.2 a few months ago. If I remember correctly, he actually did manage to get some titles working that weren't before, though I am pretty sure any title with a 9.6+ kernel requirement would still need a spoof.

Plus there is the fact that the user would then have a frankenfirmware which makes it nigh impossible to troubleshoot any issues they encounter after that.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured it was so he could help ensure people who aren't that competent with this stuff wouldn't try it. Either way, lacking information is never good. Main thing I'd want to see is if it's actually a complete upgrade or not, that if it actually boots newer games without anything extra.

The thing is, there are only three ways to avoid the 3DS logo hang on newer titles. Update your NATIVE_FIRM (and thus the kernel), spoof your kernel version (what I think gateway does) and spoof the kernel requirement in the exheader of the game.

Since N3DS users cannot install the 9.6+ NATIVE_FIRM, it will never allow booting of retail carts of newer games.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can be bypassed easily.

inb4 using cryptofixed .3DS with Sky3DS.
*facepalm* not you too. .3ds doesnt need cryptofix you goof

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It can be bypassed easily.

Not so much. You can bypass the update check with NTR, but it still hangs on the 3DS logo unless you use gateway.

Reactions: Mrrraou

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
*facepalm* not you too. .3ds doesnt need cryptofix you goof

Not so much. You can bypass the update check with NTR, but it still hangs on the 3DS logo unless you use gateway.
oh well, maybe, I don't know how it works for the N3DS. I don't have one. But anyway, the required firmware could be edited, and ran with a Sky3DS with signpatch.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I can run Triforce Heroes on 9.5 too so... I remain skeptical in this scenario even if I have a N3DS.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh well, maybe, I don't know how it works for the N3DS. I don't have one. But anyway, the required firmware could be edited, and ran with a Sky3DS with signpatch.

I actually personally tried it with my retail copy of TFH the other day. Booted rxTools, popped the cart in and got a "you must update" message. Same thing running FMP. Loaded up NTR and the update message went away but it hung on the 3ds logo so.

But yeah, he could easily have a patched rom in a sky3ds cart. Except tfh has the new ap check so idk.

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I actually personally tried it with my retail copy of TFH the other day. Booted rxTools, popped the cart in and got a "you must update" message. Same thing running FMP. Loaded up NTR and the update message went away but it hung on the 3ds logo so.

But yeah, he could easily have a patched rom in a sky3ds cart. Except tfh has the new ap check so idk.
Sky3DS+, you know.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK the only way to bypass the cart encryptation is with Gateway mode.
Is there a way to repack/spoof a 3DS file?
Its not an encryption. Its literally a few bytes in the exheader that check the installed kernel version. GW somehow spoofs this automatically. Likely by spoofing the installed version.

And yeah, you can repack a 3ds file with a spoofed exheader but why bother since they can only be used with gw and sky3ds.

I can run Triforce Heroes on 9.5 too so... I remain skeptical in this scenario even if I have a N3DS.

You can run a cia just fine. I know for a fact you cannot load up the retail cartridge and play it without gateway.

Sky3DS+, you know.

True.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: