Hacking MyMenufy 2.2 - Help! Black Screen... of death?

bfandango

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm relatively new to all this and was trying to soup up my Wii tonight, apparently have bitten off more than I can chew.

I softmodded my wii last week using bannerbomb on a 4.0 system and got the homebrew channel installed. WiiGator's backup loader is amazing! The Homebrew Browser is also pretty great, really saves a lot of time and lets you try out a bunch of the excellent homebrew work people are doing.

Well. I saw a neato video of a guy with a spawn theme on his Wii and decided this should be the next thing to try, so I searched and found MyMenufy 2.2 and threw the DOL into my apps folder, then downloaded this awesome looking Death Note CSM and threw that on the SD card. Click-click, installed the CSM, returned to the homebrew channel and rebooted.

Black screen.

What do I do next? I'm getting the feeling I may have missed a semi-important step here.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

- fandango

bfandango

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll post info here as I read and learn more.

Looks like I was supposed to install SoftMii before putting on the CSM. Can anybody confirm, was that the error?

When I did the softmod I installed HackMii which contained BootMii beta 2 (v0.9.) From what I read about BootMii, I should be able to get the wii to skip the system menu and go right to the homebrew channel. Maybe if I can get in there I can restore the out-of-the-box APP file for the system menu, or install SoftMii?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

- fandango

bfandango

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On second look I don't think I have BootMii, I might have skipped that step during the HackMii install
wacko.gif
Had no idea what it was at the time, and this guide told me to skip it so I did. Ah, the benefits of experience.

When I hit the power bar I get a little flash and an instant black screen. So, probably bricked.

Well, I could always try the SaveMii, and if not hey I've probably been playing too many video games since I got this working anyhow.
cry.gif
Please let me know if there are any other options, but otherwise thanks for your help guys.

- fandango

-> I'll probably email the guy who wrote the guide I used and suggest he not instruct people to leave out the BootMii install... seems like it would have kind of saved my bacon here.

FirenXe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
bfandango said:
On second look I don't think I have BootMii, I might have skipped that step during the HackMii install
wacko.gif
Had no idea what it was at the time, and this guide told me to skip it so I did. Ah, the benefits of experience.

When I hit the power bar I get a little flash and an instant black screen. So, probably bricked.

Well, I could always try the SaveMii, and if not hey I've probably been playing too many video games since I got this working anyhow.
cry.gif
Please let me know if there are any other options, but otherwise thanks for your help guys.

- fandango

-> I'll probably email the guy who wrote the guide I used and suggest he not instruct people to leave out the BootMii install... seems like it would have kind of saved my bacon here.

Maybe you installed BootMii as IOS....... which is useless if u can't load Homebrew Channel..

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any guide that recommends you not installing Bootmii when you can, I recommend Staying has far away from that guide has possible. Just my two cents

bfandango

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Agree, it really seems like this problem could have been avoided that way. Caveat Emptor though, I can't really complain as I could have done way more research before I dove into this.

muck chucker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
check if you have preloader press the on button on the wii and press and hold the reset button in straight after see if anything comes up

icefireicefire

GBATemp Fails.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just get a savemiifrii and put in a disc with a new update on it (newer than wath was installed). that will fix you (if you are on 4.0 just wait for 4,1)

READ THE FUCKING WIKI AND INTSALL PRELOADER NEXT TIME!

bfandango

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the advice icefireicefire.

When i turn on the Wii I do get one blink of the drive LED. Does that mean I installed BootMii? If so, has anybody got a copy of armboot.bin and ppcboot.elf?

WiiThoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that's right, but if bootmii is installed, those files should already be on your SD card...

bfandango

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
UranusKiller said:
QUOTE said:
READ THE FUCKING WIKI AND INTSALL PRELOADER NEXT TIME!nice and clear, still those stupid people won't ever learn.
For a start how can one not remember installing bootmii ?

Well, when you find out you can softmod your wii, and you have this nice handy step-by-step tutorial about it, you follow the steps. I'm actually not that stupid although I was definitely careless and I take responsibility for bricking the thing. Now that I've read and learned a lot more I would do it all very differently. So that's how.

Posts merged

QUOTE(WiiThoko @ Jun 6 2009, 01:18 AM)
I'm pretty sure that's right, but if bootmii is installed, those files should already be on your SD card...

I did clear the card at one point so I might have deleted the files. This is a 1% chance but I figured I'd give it a try - anybody got the files handy?

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff