Hardware My wii is starting to slowly brick/SD card corrupting

xxRAG3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I started modding my wii a while back using Crash's guide. It's been working fine, but now problems have started to arise. The wii has a hard time reading disks (especially burned ones, but no need to drag that in here). It also has a hard time reading games on my 16 GB card. It now takes a full minute for the 3 pages of them to load. Also, they are starting to get corrupted or show up as corrupted one time and noncorrupted at the next. Finally, all of the emulators on my SD card autocrash, but I think thats because of the browsing/shop app.

Anyways, I think I was going to do the following
1. Copy any games I might want to save to the Wii from the 16GB SD card
2. Copy those games onto a 1GB SD card, which should work well (it hasn't failed me yet!)
3. Wipe Wii using that wipe feature
4. Restore games to wii.
5. Format 16GB SD Card, use it for OpenPandora.

Are there any problems that can arise with that.
Also the following:

1. If I wipe my wii, do I have to re softmod it, I'm only doing it for the wad support, since its already hardmodded (and cioses and whatnot)
2. Do I still have to get rid of these 'tickets?' I heard I might have too many installed or something.
3. Do saves retain after being moved from SD Card to SD Card?
4. Would wiping/formatting the 16GB fix problems with detecting and corruption? (it has already had these odd problems detecting, which I've been trying to fix, with no avail.)
Any other thoughts/opinions would be cool. Thanks!

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not sure about the weird symptoms you're having, it sounds to me like there might be a fault with your SD card, and it sounds like you need to use the official Wii Cleaning Kit on your drive, but don't use the Wii format option in the settings. There are too many stories of people using it and getting bricks or "the system files are corrupted".

xxRAG3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I'll try this out. There's nothing wrong with the wii though? I plan on switching from my 16 GB to a 1 GB, since I don't need 15 Gigs. How do I clear all the stuff VC and Wiiware save internally?

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. If you use the Wii's delete function, the Wii still remembers that you 'downloaded' it, so that you can download again without 'paying' for it again, if you ever need to.

Using AnyTitleDeleter can remove the leftovers. Be sure to read the readme for it though, and don't delete anything you don't know what it is, since it will also let you delete important system files, which can leave your Wii bricked.

xxRAG3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ozguy said:
More than likely you removed your SD card without using the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option in Windows at some point, and now part of the file system is corrupted.

Running chkdsk on the card should fix it. See my guide below.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=176...p;#entry2215533
Well, thanks for the guide, i think.

It did absolutely nothing. Upon typing in chkdsk h: /f it said
cannot open volume for direct access.

I suspect its because the card has a hard time being detected. Some computers it has no support, some have partial (you need to get around it. For example, when I put it in, and it prompts me to check it for errors, I have to quit out of the box or it gives me a 'there is no H' error.

Anyone else?

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
It did absolutely nothing. Upon typing in chkdsk h: /f it said
cannot open volume for direct access. I suspect its because the card has a hard time being detected. Some computers it has no support, some have partial (you need to get around it. For example, when I put it in, and it prompts me to check it for errors, I have to quit out of the box or it gives me a 'there is no H' error.
... Your SD card wouldn't happen to be a cheap off-brand, would it? This all sounds like the way my old, old floppy discs would act up back in the day. If I had to guess, I'd say it sounds like your problems are all in that 16GB card... But I don't know.

xxRAG3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SD Card is a 16GB Sandisk SD card.

I think the problems are a part of the 16GB microsd card, but I'm asking is there a way to fix the detection? the corruption?

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure nothing else if using the card at the time you try to run chkdsk.
Ie. Don't have any explorer windows open, or music managers, etc that may be trying to access the card.

Basically the error you are getting means that some other program has requested access to the card.
Also if you have currently shared that drive letter, you will need to unshare it first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can