My thoughts on Semi-Piracy

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's just be honest, if it wasn't thanks to piracy then a lot of media would have been lost.

Now, corporations are looking to stream their movies and shows rather than sell them on Blu-ray/DVD. I mean, it's still an option, but eventually they'll stop and go all-digital.

Have fun with that digital "ownership."

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the letter of the law as soon as you obtain an illegal distribution of the game what you are doing is illegal... If you can somehow purchase said PS5 game make a backup yourself then alter said backup so it will play on PC or another console of your choosing and there would be nothing illegal against that action ...

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the letter of the law as soon as you obtain an illegal distribution of the game what you are doing is illegal... If you can somehow purchase said PS5 game make a backup yourself then alter said backup so it will play on PC or another console of your choosing and there would be nothing illegal against that action ...
You'll own nothing and you'll be happy. (:

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
All piracy is good, actually.
Based Laina
1659549724163.png

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
While its great to say that TMNTC might be a great example of a collection that can be released with good intent and goals, its an unfortunate reality that most of this you can't say that for shit like Sonic Origins or even Nintendo's Mario 3D Collection which put little effort into the collection while trying to sell it to you at a much higher price. Then you get the wonderful shit like Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy: Definitive Edition which did the wonderful practice of scrubbing all classic versions off of Steam to push this out and it becoming a massive shitstorm of awful remastering. The same also happened to Warcraft 3 as well with reforged.

The only surefire to stop these games from being ruined and lost is to pirate and preserve. Because its sure as shit that they don't care about these games when they want to George Lucas this shit in the worst way possible for the intent of profit among all else.
Mario 64 (one of the 3 games in the 3d collection) can be bought in the wii u virtual console, it is included in nintendo switch online and there is the physical copy of the 3d all star collection. Mario Galaxy can be bought on Wii U (or used with the physical 3d all star collection). The only game "missing" is mario sunshine and I'm sure that nintendo will sell/rent it again when they have a system powerful enough to emulate Gamecube.
How many people here actually do real efforts to preserve the games? I'm sure that museums try to keep their games (and maybe backups) as safe as possible, but putting 300 retro games next to the other 300 retro games on the microsd of your retro handheld isn't preservation. I'm pretty sure that there are museums where you can play the original versions of GTA 3, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas.

For one, these games are not so much sold anymore as they are "accessible" via paying an online subscription for the privilege of playing a few of those games. Pay even more to play some N64 and Genesis games. You do not keep these games if you decide to cancel the service.

Also do not rely on the belief that publishers want to make the classics available when they can try to shit out crappy remasters and half-baked collections at high cost but with worse coding than the original games had. If anything Piracy needs to be encouraged more because we are reaching a point in the industry that games have become as shitty and broken/awful as they were prior to the original video game crash of 1983. The only difference now is that these companies still get money regardless of how shit their games are because dumbasses keep buying them and being caught off guard that the game that was advertised in pre-rendered trailers was not in fact the game they bought. The industry needs to fall apart again so it can learn from itself and be better than it was before.
There are legal means to play a copy of the older nintendo games and the creators probably get a share of the money that is beeing earned that way. It's a valid option to access the games. You can say that you don't want to accept it but then it's clearly piracy and not "semi piracy" or something like that. The situation is even better with the genesis games: buy the collection on steam and get direct access to the uncompressed roms.

I don't think that this discussion will lead to much but I want to say one last thing: you have no right to have/access any games. It's the same with other art forms like movies or pictures. You can access them if the person that made them gives you the permission (often attached to you paying money), but it's not necessary. You have no right to play a game if the person or company owning the rights doesn't want you to. There are more and more companies selling old games and even giving access to the actual ROMs (SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics, many Piko interactive releases etc). Support them if you want this to change. Don't buy stuff from publishers that you don't like. It's as easy as that.

• Haha
Reactions: Kopimist

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think that this is a valid argument in the current times. First of all, we don't know if/when a game gets rereleased. We get new compilations all the time. Who would have guessed that you can buy the NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Gameboy and GBA castle vania games in 2 collections a few years ago? Disney rereleased some of their nes, snes, mega drive and gameboy games etc. Who knows which games will get such a collection next? We will get a teenage mutant ninja turtles collection at the end of the month.
Secondly, this argument is often used for nintendo games in general where it isn't true. Old Nintendo games are still beeing sold through nintendo switch online and the 3ds and wii u virtual console. It may not be in a way that the customer wants, but many of the old nintendo games can still be bought or rented today.
Valid points and they’re true, which is why I know it’s flimsy ground whether you wholly oppose or support piracy either way.
Nintendo might offer many games in some form but there are still plenty that they don’t, and they’re not the only company with a back catalogue that’s largely inaccessible. Couple that with frankly piss poor attempts to remaster old titles and it’s hard to feel sorry for them. Especially when you get cases like Mario 3D All Stars which was just emulation sold back to consumers for an eye watering premium.

Edit: looks like I was beaten to the punch with the Mario example.

Reactions: Technicmaster0

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario 64 (one of the 3 games in the 3d collection) can be bought in the wii u virtual console, it is included in nintendo switch online and there is the physical copy of the 3d all star collection. Mario Galaxy can be bought on Wii U (or used with the physical 3d all star collection). The only game "missing" is mario sunshine and I'm sure that nintendo will sell/rent it again when they have a system powerful enough to emulate Gamecube.
How many people here actually do real efforts to preserve the games? I'm sure that museums try to keep their games (and maybe backups) as safe as possible, but putting 300 retro games next to the other 300 retro games on the microsd of your retro handheld isn't preservation. I'm pretty sure that there are museums where you can play the original versions of GTA 3, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas.

For One, that is not true for the Wii U/3DS eshop anymore. Secondly, The Switch Online versions of these games were so absolutely abysmal in their emulation process from Nintendo that it put most people off for months before they were able to get it going in a way that was actually playable. Thirdly The "All Star collection" is anything but when the only title on there that was put any effort into was Galaxy which is still partially being run in an emulator, with the remaining other two games being ROM's put in Nintendo's own emulators. Also no Galaxy 2 which in that case alone puts people off. Hell speaking of forgotten Mario games, I would *LOVE* to see Mario 64DS get a remake/re-release. Perhaps not as nostalgia baited as 64 classic but it gives so much more to do with the game and added multiplayer that the OG simply lacked. It removes nothing from the classic experience, it only adds more to it and it seems to have been forgotten in the eyes of Nintendo.

Also you seem to have overlooked the fact that Sunshine is in 3D All stars, also The Wii is built on the technology of a buffed version of the Gamecube (With some going out of the way of calling the Wii the "Doublesuffed Gamecube" or "two gamecubes taped together" Which if the Switch can emulate that, then there is no excuse for the GC not having games be emulated on there. It's not a limitation of hardware on Nintendo's end here to emulate these. Its just not of interest to them.

As for digital preservation efforts. I put a heavy deal into it. Not so much games as even the more rare games I have others have seemingly had the opportunity to get it preserved long before I did, and that's fine. That is the way it should be. Me? I put in efforts to preserve lost/nearly lost or insanely obscure documents/files/programs and manuals for various forms of hardware of the past. Your UNIX machines, enterprise hardware, weird Operating systems and programs that were exclusive to them, obscure pieces of hardware and technology in general which the information online barely scratches the surface on and god help you if you are trying to restore/repair/operate one when the information to it is lost to time because no one cared or the few that did have one themselves never bothered to because they were lazy or just want to gatekeep knowledge from others. Or the very few that cry out the fear of potential copyright on abandonware long forgotten by companies that may not even operate anymore while also showing off their rare shit that they refuse to preserve for others because it will make them feel less special if everyone else had access to the same things they did.

I preserve because knowledge is something that belongs to the world at large and it deserves to not be lost. To everyone that want's or needs it. Not to just the few that are privileged enough to have it only to discard it and lose it because they can't find the same appreciation to it that others do. Its not some sort of mindset of being a hero or a pirate or whatever bullshit. I just don't want things to get lost to time just as much as others do. I am even going out of my way to build a book scanner eventually so I could physically scan my out of print books/manuals to put online. I spent time and a lot of money trying to get access to some of these materials for my restoration projects and I am not even 2/3's of the way complete yet. But sure enough I want others to not go through the same shit I had to in hunting down out of print nearly lost/obscure materials and paying a premium for them because of how "rare" it is. Everyone deserves better than that.

There are legal means to play a copy of the older nintendo games and the creators probably get a share of the money that is beeing earned that way. It's a valid option to access the games. You can say that you don't want to accept it but then it's clearly piracy and not "semi piracy" or something like that. The situation is even better with the genesis games: buy the collection on steam and get direct access to the uncompressed roms.
The system of creators and royalties and all that shit is not substaintial or even used to most or any of the gaming industry. Its not the same as the Recording Industry in that a song you made may have royalties you may benefit a cut of each time its bought or used in a commercial way (and that is of course if your record label just does not outright screw you over in the contract) Games typically only see profit gain share for those who worked on it upon initial release, but after that it typically defaults as the property of the publisher or developer studio and not solely the creator/creators of the game itself. Indy games follow a different method but they are not under a large studio or publisher and have more legal control over their creations in that sense. Most games on the other hand typically just profit the publishers that own the rights to them as most creators don't have rights to said games or characters when they produce said game in said studio or publisher via contract. They might be your ideas, but they were put to reality via their hardware, their software, their time and their money. It becomes theirs at the end of the day, you will just be lucky enough to have your name in the credits and have initial profits of sales cut if even that.

Want a good example of this? The Halo series was made by Bungie, was in production before MS bought them out and made it a Windows/Xbox exclusive. When Bungie wanted to split and become their own entity again they did so while giving MS the rights to the series and its franchise. Bungie sees nothing of Halo money anymore, no matter if there's a new game or a remaster/remake of the classics. Its owned by Microsoft and they profit off it alone.

You want to support a creator? There are many different ways to do so, hell I would rather send a creator the full price of a game and just pirate it myself then go through "the legit path" because aside from the bullshit that presents itself such as DRM or other bullshit, they get a lesser cut of the money that way. If you want to do this because of moral grounds then just give the guy money directly. Because screw the publishers.

I don't think that this discussion will lead to much but I want to say one last thing: you have no right to have/access any games. It's the same with other art forms like movies or pictures. You can access them if the person that made them gives you the permission (often attached to you paying money), but it's not necessary. You have no right to play a game if the person or company owning the rights doesn't want you to.

Alright, you want to play dirty with this logic here and I can play too. The thing about rights is its not so much a matter of law being a solid, unflinching script of directives of legality as it really is anymore a matter of "who happens to have the deeper pockets and better influence" in the situation. It's always been that way, and especially now in recent times the legal system has been skewed to try and suppress even the idea of making mods for games such as when T2 tried to sue GTA modders because they were making their own remaster mod for the classic games which they put a great deal of effort into only for it to be put through hell because it just so happen that Rockstar was thinking of releasing their own remaster of these games, and this inoffensive mod to the classic games here would have totally hurt their prospective sales, especially if it ended up being that the mod was far more competent and faithful than the shitstain of an "official" remaster they released to the world. Its a wonderful thing when the fans seem to care more about something more than those who simply hold the rights to it. The difference being that fans do it out of love where as rights holders simply don't care or do it out of money.

If people like you ran the earth with no one standing against their ass-backwards mindset we would have nothing preserved in our world. Art would be locked away by private collectors or destroyed, Movies would never have released on any format and the only way you could ever watch them would be if they happened to have a showing of it in theaters again, and that is if they decided to not destroy it because they did not like it or remake it as something newer and more modern while making the original no longer accessible by any means because it no longer holds the vision of the right holders anymore. Media would basically hold no relevance of purpose anymore because it would mean nothing more to us than it would mean to those that are simply profiting off of it. The very essence of history and creativity will perish because the act of preservation gets in the way of those simply wanting to profit out of life at the cost of everyone else.

If that is the world you want to live in, then you need to really reconsider your purpose here. Because I know for a fact that not too many people like a corporate bootlicking mouthpiece.

There are more and more companies selling old games and even giving access to the actual ROMs (SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics, many Piko interactive releases etc). Support them if you want this to change. Don't buy stuff from publishers that you don't like. It's as easy as that.

Ah yes, Repackaging the same ROM's over and over again in cheap plastic that does a subpar job of emulating the original experience while also occasionally making them limited to increase the potential of sales (mainly to scalpers) because of the panic of artificial scarcity and FOMO driving everything else in making sure these things just don't sit in stores and not make sales. I think it would be more convenient to just get the original console and either some of the games I like or perhaps a flash cart to get close to the original experience as much as possible. Or if neither there's always the PC that can do it all, and sure they can sell classic roms on there too, as long as its not DRM controlled or its inferior in its coding compared releases. Once again I have to make reference that the Sonic Origins collection should have been a dead simple release that they still somehow fucked up doing despite everything because they were worried more with presentation and getting it out during a profitable timeframe rather than making sure the shit worked as it is meant to. While also delisting any of the other games online prior to release just so no one else has a legal means of purchasing a better version of the classic games elsewhere and now instead have to be forced to purchase this collection if you want to legally play classic Sonic games on your modern hardware. Again anyone that supports this and thinks this is a good thing really does not speak for the most of of people.

You know what people want?

-Give us a means to access and (actually) own games of any generation (With means to access the actual ROM for a reasonable price and no DRM bullshit)
-Give us a means to play it via a modern means available to anyone (PC perhaps?)
-Make it available for everyone, everywhere, no restrictions to country or censor bullshit
-DON'T Give us half assed ports/remasters if you can't do it yourselves. (if you can't make an emulator yourself just sell the rom's and let the community build an emulator then)
-Don't give us things you think we want but do not want: Be communicative and transparent with your community on what they want.
-Allow the use of mods with no asterisk of trying to make a for profit market for it.
-Make all DLC available and obtainable (either at extra fee or as its own "complete" release or made free if not being maintained anymore)
-Lay the fuck off of fan projects. (rather than DCMA'ing them, learn from them and why they might be popular? Perhaps it could make your next official game actually better!)

I am sure there is a few more or less in that list. I could have mentioned game creation tools for various engines that may be abandoned or are intentionally obscured. Perhaps releasing abandonware games as free and with Open Source intentions to allow fans to create their own continuations/scenarios since the holder cares so little for it that it would probably cost them more money to try to make it a product themselves again then to just give it to the fans to do whatever they want with it.

The point is that People don't simply pirate just because they don't want to pay money for a game. There are multiple reasons, for multiple people, everywhere. There are people in countries out there that can't get access to any form of media without having to pirate it because its the only way they can access it in their country given restrictions and censorship. There are people that can't get access to said media anymore because its not available anywhere else legitimately which leads to pirating it. Both of these alone make up a large chunk of pirates in general.

Preservationism is the attempt to make sure that something that is abandoned, old and obscure is not lost. That it remains accessible to anyone who wants to access it. If there are entities against that then they need to act upon themselves to offer the means and promise to offer that nothing of theirs is abandoned or lost and can always be available for anyone who can obtain it in a reasonable way. If they can't or refuse to, then they give up that right to argue their side in all of this. It becomes our responsibility and right to preserve it for everyone if they can't be bothered to do it themselves.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
For One, that is not true for the Wii U/3DS eshop anymore. Secondly, The Switch Online versions of these games were so absolutely abysmal in their emulation process from Nintendo that it put most people off for months before they were able to get it going in a way that was actually playable. Thirdly The "All Star collection" is anything but when the only title on there that was put any effort into was Galaxy which is still partially being run in an emulator, with the remaining other two games being ROM's put in Nintendo's own emulators. Also no Galaxy 2 which in that case alone puts people off. Hell speaking of forgotten Mario games, I would *LOVE* to see Mario 64DS get a remake/re-release. Perhaps not as nostalgia baited as 64 classic but it gives so much more to do with the game and added multiplayer that the OG simply lacked. It removes nothing from the classic experience, it only adds more to it and it seems to have been forgotten in the eyes of Nintendo.
At the moment the Wii U and 3DS eShop can still be used. Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Mario 64 and Mario 64 DS are available in the Wii U eShop today.
Also you seem to have overlooked the fact that Sunshine is in 3D All stars, also The Wii is built on the technology of a buffed version of the Gamecube (With some going out of the way of calling the Wii the "Doublesuffed Gamecube" or "two gamecubes taped together" Which if the Switch can emulate that, then there is no excuse for the GC not having games be emulated on there. It's not a limitation of hardware on Nintendo's end here to emulate these. Its just not of interest to them.
I don't know much about the inner details of the gamecube emulation on the switch, but I can imagine that the emulator had to be heavily tweaked for the game. The game itself was modified for sure because the ROM included in the collection is lacking the cutscenes (but it includes the audio). Emulators made by nintendo often have game specific configurations, one example beeing the N64 emulator. The next gen console by nintendo will probably be better in handling gamecube games.
Alright, you want to play dirty with this logic here and I can play too. The thing about rights is its not so much a matter of law being a solid, unflinching script of directives of legality as it really is anymore a matter of "who happens to have the deeper pockets and better influence" in the situation. It's always been that way, and especially now in recent times the legal system has been skewed to try and suppress even the idea of making mods for games such as when T2 tried to sue GTA modders because they were making their own remaster mod for the classic games which they put a great deal of effort into only for it to be put through hell because it just so happen that Rockstar was thinking of releasing their own remaster of these games, and this inoffensive mod to the classic games here would have totally hurt their prospective sales, especially if it ended up being that the mod was far more competent and faithful than the shitstain of an "official" remaster they released to the world. Its a wonderful thing when the fans seem to care more about something more than those who simply hold the rights to it. The difference being that fans do it out of love where as rights holders simply don't care or do it out of money.
This thread is about some constructed thesis of semi-piracy by the creator of the thread. I'm not discussing about my opinion or something like that but about what's legal and what's not legal. You can always find ways to pirate something and you can be fine with that for yourself, but that doesn't mean that it's legal.
Regarding the law: it's always a balance. There are laws beeing made to protect the holders of intellectual property and there are laws beeing made to protect the interests of consumers. One example of the latter one are the cookie website banners that are required in europe. They give you a way to protect your data (to some degree).
I don't know what the result of that T2 thingy is/was or if there is a decision yet, but it's not set in stone that T2 was in the right. It's a legal question that would have to be decided by a court, not by you or me.
I'm pretty sure that there are fans among the rights holders, too. It's not just black and white.
If people like you ran the earth with no one standing against their ass-backwards mindset we would have nothing preserved in our world. Art would be locked away by private collectors or destroyed, Movies would never have released on any format and the only way you could ever watch them would be if they happened to have a showing of it in theaters again, and that is if they decided to not destroy it because they did not like it or remake it as something newer and more modern while making the original no longer accessible by any means because it no longer holds the vision of the right holders anymore. Media would basically hold no relevance of purpose anymore because it would mean nothing more to us than it would mean to those that are simply profiting off of it. The very essence of history and creativity will perish because the act of preservation gets in the way of those simply wanting to profit out of life at the cost of everyone else.

If that is the world you want to live in, then you need to really reconsider your purpose here. Because I know for a fact that not too many people like a corporate bootlicking mouthpiece.
Why do you attack me now? Movies are beeing released in other formats because there is a demand and people are willing to pay for it. We wouldn't have blu rays of movies if no one bought them, espcially when it comes to older movies that were released on VHS originally and got a proper treatment for the BD rerelease. Even if no cinema plays them.
Ah yes, Repackaging the same ROM's over and over again in cheap plastic that does a subpar job of emulating the original experience while also occasionally making them limited to increase the potential of sales (mainly to scalpers) because of the panic of artificial scarcity and FOMO driving everything else in making sure these things just don't sit in stores and not make sales. I think it would be more convenient to just get the original console and either some of the games I like or perhaps a flash cart to get close to the original experience as much as possible. Or if neither there's always the PC that can do it all, and sure they can sell classic roms on there too, as long as its not DRM controlled or its inferior in its coding compared releases.
The releases by piko and the sega classics come with the rom files on PC. You can buy the digital versions, copy the rom files to a flashcart and play them on real hardware. I've done that. Iridion II is pretty fun on real hardware. There is no artificial scarcity for the sega games (idk if piko did something like that or not). Another example for a collection that contains the clean rom files without tempering is the atari vault. But I don't think that atari 2600 games have aged well.
You know what people want?
Yes. Everything for free, at least many people in this forum.
-Give us a means to access and (actually) own games of any generation (With means to access the actual ROM for a reasonable price and no DRM bullshit)
-Give us a means to play it via a modern means available to anyone (PC perhaps?)
-Make it available for everyone, everywhere, no restrictions to country or censor bullshit
-DON'T Give us half assed ports/remasters if you can't do it yourselves. (if you can't make an emulator yourself just sell the rom's and let the community build an emulator then)
You get that with the PC versions of the atari vault, the sega mega drive & genesis classics and many piko releases. You get the actual ROM file but also an emulator to play that rom if you don't want to set it up yourself.
Some things like censoring or removal of logos might be required by law tho.
-Allow the use of mods with no asterisk of trying to make a for profit market for it.
The sega mega drive & genesis classics collection has steam workshop support for mods and fan games.

Reactions: xoINARIox

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the moment the Wii U and 3DS eShop can still be used. Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Mario 64 and Mario 64 DS are available in the Wii U eShop today.
They already removed the means to add and use debit/credit cards, the only way you can get them on there is if you already purchased it prior to the stopping of sales or if you still have a balance on your account of money that can be used on the shop still. This is literally the most common and direct way anyone would buy anything from the eshop, and most people in their right mind typically don't hold balances on their accounts since money not used always sits when it could be used for something else instead. The only other way to get these games now is using eShop cards which will stop this month and then the only way after that will be download codes that can only be used until March 2023. After that, there is no other way to, and even suggesting that its a good idea now to do so when these services are in the process of shutting down is absolutely insane. Its like going to a closing down department store and asking for an extended warranty from the store, its ass backwards logic.

Also, another thing to point out is these games are only limited to the WiiU/3DS. You are not legally able to export the roms or the saves of these games you bought. The way Nintendo intended this is once that Console is dead, say goodbye to your digital games you spent money on. Oh if there was some brilliant way to somehow make it so you could actually own the games you purchased digitally and ensure that it will not simply leave you once the console is destined to the dust bin. Perhaps tying games to an account and making it still accessible on their later consoles would be nice. Or perhaps legally allowing you to export your own saves and games you spent money on would be nice. I am sure though that Nintendo is just such a small company they could clearly not make this happen in their power. Perhaps they need the help of someone like Valve or CDP to make that work. Or perhaps its not supposed to work...because why let you keep something you already paid for once only to lose access to it again when instead you would be foolish enough to open up your wallet to them again to buy the same classics over and over again.

VC died because it was not a viable means of profit to Nintendo, not when you can instead just sell a premium online subscription service instead and put even less effort into it than you did before with VC, you do not even get to own the games this time! Isn't that wonderful?!

I don't know much about the inner details of the gamecube emulation on the switch, but I can imagine that the emulator had to be heavily tweaked for the game. The game itself was modified for sure because the ROM included in the collection is lacking the cutscenes (but it includes the audio). Emulators made by nintendo often have game specific configurations, one example beeing the N64 emulator. The next gen console by nintendo will probably be better in handling gamecube games.
Knowing Nintendo it was probably an issue with space, rendering said scenes or it was too low quality to find worth scaling to the Switch. GC Emulation has come far enough, and there are emulators you can get running on the Switch for GC and below. Hell the new Steam Deck can run circles around the Switch and even emulate Switch games well enough to the point that Nintendo had to start pulling the DCMA hammer out again on videos showing it working.

As for a Next Gen console, I am not holding much hope in that being a sustainable reality for Nintendo at the moment. Their track record with console releases average around 5-6 years apart with the longest outlier being 7 between the original Famicom and the Super Famicom. We are on year 5 with the Switch right now and there is still no solid indication that Nintendo is cooking something up in the back in terms of new hardware.

If this was the case, would there be a need to push Gen 9 of Pokemon out so soon then?
What about BOTW 2 using the same scaled down graphics?

These games would have been delayed for another year before they would be announced/shown off with the announcement of a new console. Instead they were announced so far ahead or shown off ahead to the point that its clear their intent is its going to be a Switch game, not a next generation release.

If there is going to be a Switch Successor its not going to happen anytime soon. Between Nintendo figuring out how to reinvent the console again and make it worth jumping towards over the current console while figuring out and ironing issues out such as Joycon Drift in the last generation its going to be a challenge for them to make happen, more so if they can make the previous generation compatible with it. There's also the reality that they might not be able to improve upon the design and they can be stuck in development hell on making one. Especially with Iwata no longer at the helm of all this its going to be a tough call if Nintendo will be able to deliver or not on another console. But given how the heads of Nintendo are now with things I would not doubt the abstract possibility that if they do make another console its going to be something extremely user unfriendly such as using Cloud streaming for all your games or something that would make the concept of piracy a real bitch to make possible on a Nintendo system when they control all the ins and outs of said games on their end. Or they can just say fuck it and make their own digital game service for the other consoles on the market and just make money on the games alone from that point forward.

This thread is about some constructed thesis of semi-piracy by the creator of the thread. I'm not discussing about my opinion or something like that but about what's legal and what's not legal. You can always find ways to pirate something and you can be fine with that for yourself, but that doesn't mean that it's legal.
Regarding the law: it's always a balance. There are laws beeing made to protect the holders of intellectual property and there are laws beeing made to protect the interests of consumers. One example of the latter one are the cookie website banners that are required in europe. They give you a way to protect your data (to some degree).
I don't know what the result of that T2 thingy is/was or if there is a decision yet, but it's not set in stone that T2 was in the right. It's a legal question that would have to be decided by a court, not by you or me.
I'm pretty sure that there are fans among the rights holders, too. It's not just black and white.
The problem "with the T2 thingy" is that it does not matter if its a matter of legally wrong or right. The beautiful thing about how corporate entities and legal structures work is that you can basically throw a lawsuit at anything and their option is to either comply with their requests or to take them to court. Most of the time they comply because those being served with the lawsuit/DCMA do not have the means\resources\money to take them to court and fight this out to ultimately see who is right and wrong. Most people served with this shit are too small to be able to fight against a corporate entity that have several lawyers at their resources that if you did take them to court, even if you were in the right the process could be drawn out by months or years and most normal people can't afford a lawyer for that long, especially a good enough lawyer that can go up against a team representing a company. Most of the time when it comes to grey area legal bullshit people comply because they have no option but to. Its Using money and the threat of vague law enforcement to bully people into compliance. This is nothing new nor is it simply exclusive to video games. Hell there's a whole subset of assholes that use this system to bully companies out of money or block products from release. They are known as Patent Trolls, and Apple was a pretty goddamn big one a few years ago.

A lot of these lawsuits won't hold up when presented to the right people that actually understand the law and how it applies to the situation of the lawsuit. But most people can't afford to fight it even if they wanted to. That is how our legal system works today.

Why do you attack me now? Movies are beeing released in other formats because there is a demand and people are willing to pay for it. We wouldn't have blu rays of movies if no one bought them, espcially when it comes to older movies that were released on VHS originally and got a proper treatment for the BD rerelease. Even if no cinema plays them.

That was never always the case. The companies would have to allow said movies to release on format if they wanted to, they cared less about if people would be willing to pay or not.

For instance with Disney, they did not want to release anything on Home Video, as they thought in doing so would "Rob the magic of the movie in its presentation and its intended viewing" Which in that case they would release the same old movies they made every couple of years in theaters to generate profit as it was the only way you could watch said movies. They would even try to sue Sony in the creation of Betamax because its ability to record which pissed off Disney and other studios over this very ability and attempted to stop this technology from progressing/entering the normal home.

These videos here go into detail on the matter of Physical formats and movies/TV more.

Also did you know that Nintendo tried to kill off rental shops because they did not want people renting video games in the US? They were able to make this so in Japan and was pushing hard to make it so in the US, but the US told them to kindly fuck off on their request.

I could also go into detail with the music industry, but BOY OH BOY that is a massive clusterfuck of a universe of problems in itself that dwarfs anything up above. Mainly because they were able to get away with a lot of screwed up shit, including the delay of digital music technology by a decade or more.

Companies use and abuse Copyright law to extremes because if people actually owned the things they bought, it means they can't make more money on it in the immediate future unless they actually have to try making something new, and good.

The releases by piko and the sega classics come with the rom files on PC. You can buy the digital versions, copy the rom files to a flashcart and play them on real hardware. I've done that. Iridion II is pretty fun on real hardware. There is no artificial scarcity for the sega games (idk if piko did something like that or not). Another example for a collection that contains the clean rom files without tempering is the atari vault. But I don't think that atari 2600 games have aged well.
A valiant effort but limited on scale of their reach and release to do anything more than that. Wish more companies would do this but this is a rare example of something promising.

Yes. Everything for free, at least many people in this forum.
A lot of people don't mind actually giving creators money for a good product. Hell, even I do this if I am able to. If I find an album I enjoy enough I'll buy it, hell I'll buy it on vinyl if it exists and its good for that format. Same for movies, art/comics, etc. If its something I enjoy enough, I have no qualms about wanting to support the creator for their work.

The problem is that a lot of things in this day and age are not worth that, they are spent with more time and energy/money marketing the fuck out of something and hyping it up to get preorders and potential fans on board before it even releases only for them to be ripped off on something opposite of what was advertised and/or is completely broken. When you do shit like this people lose faith in the system that is meant to exist. It makes people question if its worth the pricetag at all..

You get that with the PC versions of the atari vault, the sega mega drive & genesis classics and many piko releases. You get the actual ROM file but also an emulator to play that rom if you don't want to set it up yourself
Again, wonderful it exists but its still too limited, if you can't meet the first demand, it may as well be as much as a matter of good faith as releasing it on GoG.

Some things like censoring or removal of logos might be required by law tho.
Sure if you want to support a super nanny state country like Australia or hell, China..

The sega mega drive & genesis classics collection has steam workshop support for mods and fan games.
Looking into this because you seem really insistent on this example. Unfortunately while I enjoy the concept it already violated one of the directives of the people who would have found this interesting because apparently Sega pulled all the Sonic games from this collection for the release of Sonic Origins! Once again proving that even in a initial good attempt, greed rules all factors in the end.

Reactions: LainaGabranth

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
They already removed the means to add and use debit/credit cards, the only way you can get them on there is if you already purchased it prior to the stopping of sales or if you still have a balance on your account of money that can be used on the shop still. This is literally the most common and direct way anyone would buy anything from the eshop, and most people in their right mind typically don't hold balances on their accounts since money not used always sits when it could be used for something else instead. The only other way to get these games now is using eShop cards which will stop this month and then the only way after that will be download codes that can only be used until March 2023. After that, there is no other way to, and even suggesting that its a good idea now to do so when these services are in the process of shutting down is absolutely insane. Its like going to a closing down department store and asking for an extended warranty from the store, its ass backwards logic.
You can use eShop cards until the end of this month. Here in europe you can buy eshop cards with paypal gifts. They are also widely available in shops everywhere. It's not much more effort than to use a credit card (and it's far better for privacy).
Yeah, I don't like that VC games can't be bought soon but I try to buy games as long as it's still possible. I will be able to use them as long as the hardware works. Every medium will die at one point. Every cartridge, CD and even steam servers will go down at one point in the future. We all know that there are means to backup Wii U and 3DS eShop titles (but legality of it might be questionable - something that might be okay for someone interested in keeping the games).
We won't have a way to buy Wii games after that but I'm sure that we will get a Wii VC or Wii online service at one point. Not what you want but what works for Nintendo (which is why they do it. I don't like that online thing which is why I have no nintendo switch online subscription).
As for a Next Gen console, I am not holding much hope in that being a sustainable reality for Nintendo at the moment. Their track record with console releases average around 5-6 years apart with the longest outlier being 7 between the original Famicom and the Super Famicom. We are on year 5 with the Switch right now and there is still no solid indication that Nintendo is cooking something up in the back in terms of new hardware.

If this was the case, would there be a need to push Gen 9 of Pokemon out so soon then?
What about BOTW 2 using the same scaled down graphics?
I'm sure that they are working on the next system since a few years. First of all you can't make a new system in a second, it needs a few years of development. Secondly, Nintendo has the hardware staff that designs the new consoles. They have to have something that they are working on. We haven't seen any major new hardware thing by nintendo in a while.
We've seen that switch sales are declining. Something new will come in 1-2 years for sure. The release of a new system might be delayed due to chip shortage tho.
I doubt that nintendo will be the first one to dip into streaming consoles. They simply don't have the network infrastructure for that.
The problem "with the T2 thingy" is that it does not matter if its a matter of legally wrong or right. The beautiful thing about how corporate entities and legal structures work is that you can basically throw a lawsuit at anything and their option is to either comply with their requests or to take them to court.
The people that reverse engineered GTA didn't comply with the takedown notices. They wanted to go to court.
A valiant effort but limited on scale of their reach and release to do anything more than that. Wish more companies would do this but this is a rare example of something promising.
Other companies will follow if these releases are successful. But they won't be successful if no one buys their stuff. Change won't happen if no one does anything and continues to buy things like nintendo switch online. Piracy doesn't solve the "problem".
It's actually a bigger problem because many scene guys dislike piko. There were some licensing problems with a SNES emulator and piko altered some roms to remove copyright symbols that they didn't have the permission to use and other things. But it's still a start and I think that we have to support these things if we want more companies to follow the example. Fingers crossed that "Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration" contains actual ROM images...
Sure if you want to support a super nanny state country like Australia or hell, China..
You simply can't sell something that says that it's Licensed by nintendo if nintendo doesn't agree with that. Yes, altered ROMs are not the real thing but on the other side this example doesn't have a big impact on the gameplay experience.
Looking into this because you seem really insistent on this example. Unfortunately while I enjoy the concept it already violated one of the directives of the people who would have found this interesting because apparently Sega pulled all the Sonic games from this collection for the release of Sonic Origins! Once again proving that even in a initial good attempt, greed rules all factors in the end.
Not a nice move for sure. But I got the collection before that and I got copies of the 3 sonic games on my HDD. They work with normal sega genesis emulators. You will always find a reason why you don't want to buy something. The sega mega drive and genesis classics collection is still a very good deal without the games. It's less than 50 cents per game and that doesn't include discounts.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Who cares if piracy is lawful or not, especially when those laws are made by those crooks that would sell your mother if they could make cash off it.
Pirate everything and don't give a shit. At least when it comes to corporations, do support your fave indie studios.
Also yeah, there's so much stuff that would be lost to time if it wasn't for piracy, and some can't even be saved due to idiots trying everything to prevent said piracy, so... guess fuck that shit.

Reactions: LainaGabranth

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I figured this might be a relevant place for this since it's a piracy thread.. the well-known cracker EMPRESS has had a bit of a tirade in a recent NFO. I don't know if this attitude is typical of the sort of people that are involved in this "scene" or if it's just some sort of personal meltdown, but it might give you pause about wanting to be involved/support..

ÛÛ² Û SPECIAL PERSONAL MESSAGE: Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û This time I have a wonderful message to this Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û pathetic world. According to the ratings, reviews Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û and the exploding popularity of the game titled Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û "STRAY" lately I have come to realize what kind of Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û people are living on this planet today. Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û I would like to tell you that you are BELOW Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û cockroaches. You are a bunch of brain dead zombies. Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û FIRST of all, I have NEVER thought of that I a GIRL Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û will have to teach "Boys" how to be STRAIGHT!!! Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û When I insulted red dead redemptions 2, I never Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û thought people are so fucking egoist and gay losers Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û and would defend it like their lives depend on it.. Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û because *apparently* ARTHUR BURGER is too fucking Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û hot for them, especially when is walking sexy and Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û slowly with his tight clothing across fields. Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û YOU ARE ALL BUNCH OF GAY SLUTS!. Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û But here? ..... nah, this is now "BEYOND" gay. Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û That is NOTHING in comparison. You are all a bunch Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û of "ZOOPHILE" BITCHES. You have overglorified a Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û literal TRASH game and made it break all records, Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û for "WHAT" ASSHOLES ? Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û For a fucking ugly cat rear in your pc screen?... Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û For a trash game with barely any combat?... Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û For a 3 hours game length experience?... Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û And with cheap unoriginal and "bought" assets from Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û shitty online sources? Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û I have seen countless bitches who trashed 500 hours Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û games filled of content for "THIS" 3 hours GARBAGE, Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û and priced at $30. Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û And the most fucked up thing is that those same Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û LOSERS who are literally playing and enjoying Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û garbage product just cause it features a CAT as Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û the protagonist, they also go criticize and make Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û fun of people who are actually picky about the main Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û character's gender in other games and prefer to Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û have FEMALES instead of being homosexual gay Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û faggots who enjoy males in their games. Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û I want to say you all have NO TASTE, NO SOULS Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û NO BRAINS, NO CAPABILITY OF THINKING and the most Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û of all, you are HYPOCRITE BITCHES. You are all the Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û reason why the gaming industry is falling and will Û ²ÛÛ
ÛÛ² Û KEEP falling. Enjoy your ZOOPHILE EXPERIENCE, SCUM. Û ²ÛÛ

PS - I really enjoyed Stray..

PPS - EMPRESS cracks games for money so technically not part of the "Scene".

Last edited by subcon959,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario 64 (one of the 3 games in the 3d collection) can be bought in the wii u virtual console
That kind of purchase is a long-term rental, if Nintendo decides to shut down the online services of the Wii to even re-download it, then it's gone completely. Afterwards, the user's only option is to download a "backup".

Well, the other two options to play it legally are on the N64 or Switch. Nintendo said the 3D All-Stars collection was "limited edition" or something, but it's available for purchase at MSRP.

Anyway, games like TMNT Out of the Shadows which is admittedly kinda shit, it was digital-only although it still deserves to be preserved, and it has been done thanks to folks on the web. I played it on the 360 and found it awful so I never bought it (it could have been amazing if they polished it a bit more).

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you weren't going to buy it, in my opinion, its not piracy.

lets say my friend buys a copy of Spiderman Far From Home. He watches it and is done with it. He gives it to me. Is that piracy?

internet 'piracy' is the same exact thing- someone bought it, they made a copy and are sharing it.

piracy is when there is no choice but to buy something and you make a copy without paying the company money. the sharing part is not piracy.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares if piracy is lawful or not, especially when those laws are made by those crooks that would sell your mother if they could make cash off it.
Pirate everything and don't give a shit. At least when it comes to corporations, do support your fave indie studios.
Also yeah, there's so much stuff that would be lost to time if it wasn't for piracy, and some can't even be saved due to idiots trying everything to prevent said piracy, so... guess fuck that shit.
The only morally correct take. Lawcucks be damned.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @HiradeGirl, https://a.co/d/6oECWAh