Hardware My suggestions for the WiiU

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've had a launch day WiiU. I love it, but that's not to say there isn't faults that could be easily fixed. The more I think about it, the more I think the WiiU could become awesome. I've actually been thinking of sending this letter to Nintendo corporate's email.

Online: The online is fun. MiiVerse makes the games such a blast. It's great to live in this day and age with the internet, and know that I can still go ask for help without spoilers.

But one thing that bugs me is the notifications. When someone comes online, the home button flashes. Same when someone sends me a message. It's not good enough. When I'm playing a game, most of the time I'm looking at the TV. One thing I think Nintendo needs to address in a FW update, is say when someone sends me a message, show the notification on the screen. I mean the other day I was playing Sonic Racing, someone sent me a message, I didn't know I had it until hours later.

Chat: I think this is one thing we can all agree on, we need a mic. I don't mean a mic that plugs into the GamePad, I mean an actual mic that we can use that plugs into the console or something. I know there's a mic out there that runs off the console, but that only works if the game allows it. We need a dedicated headset. Something to get the community for online gaming booming. I mean when I play Sonic Racing online, I'll be honest, I might as well just play single player, because it feels the same. There's no communication to make me feel I'm playing someone other than CPU's.

A mic that runs off the GamePad is okay, but if the GamePad dies and say I'm playing CoD using the Pro Controller, then shit, I'm screwed. A reasonably priced headset (say $20.00) would suffice more than enough. I mean, I have a wireless Stereo headset for my PS3. It uses a USB dongle. It works on PC just fine for playing Steam games, I would love to use it on the WiiU.

A way to downvote on MiiVerse: I've noticed on MiiVerse that a lot of people will do anything for "Yeah's". It's dumb, it causes clutter and everything. There should be a way to clean it up. I know they have it so that the better ones are kept, but it isn't good enough. There are so many "Yeah if you love xxxxxx" or something like that, thus making those the "best" messages". I know there's a report, but I think that's only for like vulgar stuff.

Can you guys think of anything else?

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right, I'll get right on that. *slams hands against keyboard*

In all seriousness, the only things I can think of to improve the Wii U beyond just general upgrades to the online services is DVD playback and playing the vWii mode through the gamepad. I mean, it already has a built in sensor bar...

As for DVD playback, it would be nice to have, but possibly something even better is having video in ports on the Wii U so we can just plug in our own. It would open up possibilities like DVD playback on the gamepad. Watching TV on the game pad. And if you're really crazy, getting a second Wii U so you can have a gamepad act as the top screen and another gamepad act as the bottom screen (silly idea, will never happen obviously).

Obviously there would need to be a USB TV tuner and applicable software on the Wii U for that to work. DVD playback could be had with a simple software update though!

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I think DVD playback is a cool but somewhat obsolete feature, I rarley play DVDS or blurays anymore unless i go to the redbox, and even then Everyone and there mother has a DVD/blurayplayer or ps3 which can be used to play said content while playing gamepad games.

Wii U has support for paid video services, and can play lots of movies from streaming video sites or even MP4s from a server set up on your private network but what wii u really needs is a dedicated Media player Channel for Music, Movies (comon it allrady plays mp4s and AAC audio), and photos.
The 3DS even has this(wii had photo channel), to a extent and id love to be able to plug my 3DS sd card into Wii u to play music on it while viewing my photo library or watch videos i took on my 3ds or phone.

I agree the wii U should have optional on screen notifications.
The wii u does need a more Mic options, but i Kinda like the whole you can just use that headset you got with your phone thing. yet as mentioned this is not practical if not using the gamepad, it would be even better to be able to plug in my 100$ PS3 set just as you mentioned it works plug and play in PC or mac so its not sony proprietary, just a regular usb headset with special functions built in for ps3, so adding USB headset support would be a epic win.

On the topic of down votes everyone always wants this feature on all social networks, i did at one point, but its never there because it adds Negativity to the mix, as the saying goes if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all (or in this case your not even making an effort to say anything), because criticism just causes resentment and rarely changes that persons mind(you might even be reading this thinking im wrong simply because im criticizing). So try to think "positive" on this one.
Though I must say I agree that people just trying to get yeahs is a little silly, God did not grant everyone with the gift of Intellect, and we just have to get used to it or you'll die trying to fight it.

Back on topic I think nintendo could improve the whole your whole hard drive has to be dedicated to Wii U, yet I do see nintendos reasons for this.

3DS Reverse remote play, Play 3DS games on your Wii U how cool would that be, connect the 3DS to wii u Wirelessly using a special 3DS app, then play 3DS games using your TV and gamepad as a dual screen device. This would also be cool in reverse but less practical due to 3ds resolution/control schemes.

Wii U multi user video/voice chat, could even make Miiverse style hangouts. Ps3 lets multiple users Video/voice chat at the same time i believe I've been in one with up to six people.

V Wii gamepad play/video output I thought Wii U was going to do this since the game pad has a sensor bar and a stand to use it as a screen.

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
When your GamePad runs out of battery, plug it for charging !

Pip'
you could just buy a 3x battery like the nyko powerpak just released it fits inside the battery compartment
But better yet (and on topic) nintendo should have made a battery that fills up the battery compartment like this nyko one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I havent finished watching it so no spoilers pls