My son wants a 2DS or 3DS.....and I want a flashcard

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Pacific, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Pacific
    OP

Pacific Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2007
    Netherlands
    Hi Guys,

10 years ago I bought a NDSL with a real R4 flashcard. Still simpel to use. My son is playing it, but he wants the newer games, so for his 7 th birthday he is collecting money to by a new 2DS or 3DS. I want to buy him a flashcard so he can play the games. Still know where to get them ;)

So which card is easy to use, just software and the roms on it, with the new FW on the 2/3DS and still has support and where to buy online in China or Europe?

PS still great that this forum still exists

2. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    The easiest way I can think of is 2DS/3DS + Newest Sky3DS + R4i Gold.
    The console shouldn't be a problem. For the flash card, I recommend this site: http://www.nds-card.com/index.asp

3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    OP, are you aware of the CFW for 3DS? I A9LH'd my 14 year old's 2DS, and gave her FreeShop to give herself any games she wants, while hiding any CIA tools and Luma payloads, so she can't break things on the system.

SG6000 likes this.
  4. munchy_cool

munchy_cool GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    If you have a store nearby, take him to the store and make him play the 3ds ..the 3ds is meant for kids above 7(which your son will be) but it does give some people headaches so you may want to check out on that before getting him a 3ds.

5. nechigawara

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    If he able to collect money to buy 3DS himself, I don't think he's under 7.
    The one who bought the 3DS is his son, not him. I don't think the son would be happy if father hacked his console without his son permission.
    Also giving flashcard a gift is a lot more easier. If his son willing to install CFW, he would come to ask his father about this or install it himself.

6. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    I agree, but even kids above 7 can get a headache with the 3d on 3ds. Just wanted him to know about it as its for a kid.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The 3D effect can be disabled with parental controls.

LinkSoraZelda likes this.
  8. HyperT

HyperT GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2016
    Check the OP, it's for his kids 7th. Wouldn't be too hard to imagine a kid getting 100-200 in cash for birthday from relatives.

Plus I doubt a 6/7 year old has any knowledge on cfw / console hacking.

OPs options.
    Simpliest - 3ds on any firmware & sky3ds(+) - use like with ds
    Easiest mod - 3ds on 10.7 or below - mod to install cfw/a9lh - might have some work to get to better fw i.e. 9.0 or above
    Harder mod - fw on 11.x - would require a system transfer from another 3ds or a hardmod

And with any of the above the r4 may work but will definately work with cfw

Last edited by HyperT, Dec 21, 2016
    dimmidice likes this.
  9. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    I assume you meant "wouldn't be too hard?"

HyperT likes this.
  10. RivenMain

RivenMain Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2016
    United States
    Just cause the kid is 7 though doesn't mean he won't want to go online with it.(pokemon wonder trading) If he did with a sky3ds and didn't have headers it would risk the 3ds being banned. Also 80$ cost on the flash cart you could have someone hard mod a 3ds for maybe half that not sure what people charge, but then the father could have a way to back up the 3ds incase he ever updated and lost a9lh he could downgrade and reinstall.

11. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    oh yeah, forgot about that :P

12. Pacific
    OP

Pacific Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2007
    Netherlands
    Probably it will be a new 2DS and he will mariokart against his friends. I am not sure I will install a CFW on it maybe later. So I will go with the sky3ds+

13. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you're considering installing CFW at all it's best to do it right away. Once the system is updated it becomes harder to hack, requiring a second already hacked 3DS to do so.

14. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    unless he gets one which is on 10.7 or less and doesnt update it :D

15. nechigawara

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    In my country, children getting money enough to buy 3DS is hard unless their families are rich. I totally forgot about his mention about his son age. :P
    He should have a discussion with his son about this first, like I mention, the one who buy the console is his son, not himself.

16. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Any 7yo would probably be excited at the idea of free games, so that shouldn't be much of a problem :P

17. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    When I was 7 I knew nothing about CFW and all ..all I did was play games on arcade machines ;)

18. nechigawara

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    I agree, but he has to talk to hime first. Some children don't like people messing with their things (Like myself 10 years ago).
    And some children don't like to wait, A9LH taking time to install, and if he got 11.0+, it will take more times.
    When I'm 7, I can only looking my rich relatives playing GB. I start playing games with PS1 after one of my relatives move on to PS2 and give his console to me.
    I start buying my own consoles when I'm in University & doing my part-time jobs.

Last edited by nechigawara, Dec 21, 2016
  19. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    Well I always played games on arcade machines from 1992-2001, then on a PC from 2001-2007, PSP from 2007 - 2009, then stopped gaming, got a PS3 in 2012 and been on that. Got a PSP again a few days back :)

20. nechigawara

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    Arcade is hard to find at my times. And most of them are expensive too. I start PS1 then NDS, both of them with pirate games.
    Then PC with pirate one, and slowly change to Gabe slave, then PSP, N3DS and Vita. Last 3 of them mostly play legit games.