Hacking My SD was formatted, any hope of restoring custom firmware?

jackgilliver1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I have royally messed up here, if anyone could lend some help it would be much appreciated;

Long story short, my SD card became corrupted whilst using it with a 3ds running AL9H Luma custom firmware, version 11.2.0-35E.
I was able to recover the drive but it is completely formatted with nothing on it. I (stupidly) decided to format the 3ds as well, thinking I could start the whole process from the top, however whenever I put the SD card in the 3DS and start it up, it comes up with Luma settings. Upon booting up past Luma settings, it says the SD card cannot be accessed.

I followed the well put together guide at https://3ds.guide , so I have backups of the 'files9' folder etc.

Is this 3DS recoverable, or is it dead forever? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you.

jackgilliver1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got that file on my pc yh, where can I put it on my 3DS SD card and what do I do with it? (sorry I am really inexperienced with the hacking scene) :(

jackgilliver1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, ive put arm9loaderhax.bin onto the root of my SD card and im back in Luma3ds configuration , am I in the right place to reinstall? In the origanal tutorial you have to go to a URL on downgraded version 2.2 or whatever to install it?

Thank you very much for helping me out, I'm just very lost on what to do

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, ive put arm9loaderhax.bin onto the root of my SD card and im back in Luma3ds configuration , am I in the right place to reinstall? In the origanal tutorial you have to go to a URL on downgraded version 2.2 or whatever to install it?

Thank you very much for helping me out, I'm just very lost on what to do
If you already have the luma configuration screen then a9lh is installed. It does not go away with a format.

All you have to do now is setup your payloads and inject FBI into the health and safety app again.

jackgilliver1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright so im going to basically do this step:

1. Create a folder named payloads in the luma folder on your SD card
  2. Copy Hourglass9.bin from the Hourglass9 .zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card and rename Hourglass9.bin to start_Hourglass9.bin
And then inject FBI into the Health and safty app?

If so great! Ill do that now

jackgilliver1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you already have the luma configuration screen then a9lh is installed. It does not go away with a format.

All you have to do now is setup your payloads and inject FBI into the health and safety app again.

Hi,

Ive got as far as injecting FBI into the health and safty app. When opening FBI and going to the folder SD I get an error message:

Failed to open file listing archive.
Result code: 0xC8A04572
Level: Status (25)
Summery: Invalid state (5)
Module: FS (17)
Desc: <unknown> (370)

I presume this is happening due to not having a 'Nintendo 3DS' folder on the root of my sd card.
When you put a new sd card into a 3ds , it configures it by adding this folder full of stuff.

Seeing as the 3ds wont configure my SD card, saying 'it cannot be accessed' am I buggered? Are these
'Nintendo 3DS' folders console specific? Or could I put someone else's folder on the root of
the SD card and bypass all this trouble?

Many Thanks

Last edited by jackgilliver1,

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You don't need to inject FBI yet. If you have the arm9loaderhax.bin file on the SD card, then booting up the console normally should get you to Main Menu - which is when the folder will be created. However, it is worth noting that the console should boot without that file as well because in the guide you set-up it so that it can boot without an SD Card. I'm assuming you did your A9LH installation ages ago?

Worry about injecting FBI into H&S after you get the console to boot up to main menu. Formatting the device and SD card does not get rid of A9LH. Simply by placing the right files back onto your SD card you WILL get into main menu so if you're not - you're doing something wrong.

If and when you do get your console set up again, be sure to read the 3ds guide A9LH part in order to make it work without an SD card as well. It just involves copying the arm9loaderhax.bin file into the console's NAND from where it can then boot.

Last edited by Distrance,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
speaking of that, I'm backing up my 88GBs on my micro sd from my new 3ds to one of my external hdds in case it fails. ALWAYS have a backup in case something like this happens. I foolishly didn't until I realized it. though, most of my externals r full or close to it due to usenet and rss feeds. I had to delete the games' folder on one of my external drives to make room for this backup. ;)

jackgilliver1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to EVERYONE for their help, Ive got everything up and running again.

It ended up being that the SD card was still partially corrupted, meaning it would not communicate with the 3DS properly at all.

Swapped it with a new SD card and everything is working great

Thanks again everyone! :)

Reactions: Quantumcat

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to EVERYONE for their help, Ive got everything up and running again.

It ended up being that the SD card was still partially corrupted, meaning it would not communicate with the 3DS properly at all.

Swapped it with a new SD card and everything is working great

Thanks again everyone! :)

backup that sd card in case it gets corrupted too. u'll be happy that u did if something like that happens. u'll lose all games. even if u backup using a NAND backup, all games stored on the sd card will be lost after that NAND backup was made. that's what I just did. 88GBs. after u get the system to where u like it, back up ur sd card as a precaution.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If your SD card has so much data that you can't back it up anywhere, backup the files Decrypt9 makes, and also back up your saves regularly with JKSM. Then the worst that will happen is that you have to reinstall the games, but you'll get everything else back.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Not sure if actually needed, but I like to be safe so if i were you I'd make a new NAND backup onto the new SD card .. There may be a chance that your current nand backup is/was corrupted given that it was made on a corrupted SD card.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-