Not open for further replies.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
was it me that said u have to use GIMP? i think i didn't mention anything about GIMP.

Posts merged

Ferrariman said:
lol @ Gimp.

Open Source does not mean automatically better then closed source.
nope, but can mean people can support the software
mellow.gif

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dter ic said:
was it me that said u have to use GIMP? i think i didn't mention anything about GIMP.

Posts merged

Ferrariman said:
lol @ Gimp.

Open Source does not mean automatically better then closed source.
nope, but can mean people can support the software
mellow.gif
Guys, stop talking about about Gimp and Photoshop. It was just an example. The point was that there are reasons to use commercial software even if there are open source alternatives. For you, getting a free Linux distro might be fine, but most people won't go through the trouble and will pay premium to get a great experience out of the box. I'm not saying Mac users are stupid or lazy, but they are geared towards user experience. Sure, Linux can be tweaked here and there to look and even feel like a Mac, but part of the user experience is setup, and Mac users certainly have a simpler process than Linux. Linux is geared toward more power users, perhaps like you and I (although that is changing). Don't get me wrong, I love Linux and I think you make a fine point, but I think its ignorant to say that there's no reason to get a Mac because of Linux. I don't mean to offend, but even as someone who hates Apple, I'm still trying look at this through all perspectives.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BakuFunn said:
Perseid said:
Here's why jailbreaking is very bad and should be a deal-breaker for most people: Apple can take it away forever with one OS update. If you rely on a jailbroken phone for your day to day iPhone usage, what happens if Apple finally figures out a thing or two about security, and all your apps go away never to return?

Better to go with Android, which doesn't have to be hacked to perform like an actual device should.
This is why the DSi is also incredibly horrible: because if Nintendo smartens up and requires software updates that will combat to the fullest flashcarts, then if you rely on this DSi as your primary handheld entertainment device, what happens when it's updated and renders your flashcart unusable? Say goodbye to your saved games?

Did I hit a soft spot?

No. A game system isn't meant to do anything beyond play games. Smartphones are small PCs now and I should be able to expect the same freedom from an iPhone as I would a computer.

ImperialX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This seems like a good reason to bump this thread. Discuss:

Have fun. *Sits back and watches*

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

EDIT: It seems that in my absence this thread has moved to an Android VS iOS debate too. Let me just say one thing about Android - you're a fool if you think Android is open. It's not.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ImperialX said:
Choose a tech blog or news source of your choice that isn’t specific to Apple news. Then, pick a post that introduces a new Apple product, and scroll down to the comments. The ratio of comments flaming it to those praising it will definitely be 4:1, at the least.
That's because a lot of people are right. There's a lot more people who prefer iPhones to Android phones, but you find them all playing FarmVille and not talking on message boards.

ImperialX said:
Apple is the tech world’s most flamed company. Regardless of how good or bad the product is, it will always be criticized by the majority. What’s ironic is, most of Apple’s products, speaking from a purely unbiased sense, are excellent products. This point can be proven by reading critical reviews on any quality tech site and consumer reviews on Amazon. In fact, Apple has been ranked number one in customer satisfaction for years in the United States.
"Most flamed?" As if. Apple does not rule the word. "Satisfaction" is normally looking, not if it's good or not. FYI, Samsung is a much bigger company.

ImperialX said:
Technologically, Apple has been responsible for multiple breakthroughs. Some examples include introducing the GUI on a personal computer and the Multi-touch interface that uses the finger as an input device. In terms of design, Apple is consistently pushing the borders. The original 1984 Macintosh was the first all-in-one computer that can be lifted with one hand. All modern laptop designs are based off the original PowerBook, which pushed the keyboard up, forming the palm rest and creating room for a trackpad. The MacBook line’s unibody architecture (which has now been expanded to the iPad) is what leads to some of the thinnest and lightest enclosures in the industry, while maintaining incredibly long battery life.
Holy shit, are you high or just retarded? Everything you said was wrong.

The first GUI based computer was made by PARC in 1973. Multi-touch technology was started in 1982 by the University of Toronto. "Lifted with one hand" is highly debatable; that's like saying "the coolest looking thing," it totally depends on your view. Same goes for the design, that depends on your view. "Incredibly long battery life?" No, just no. Go underclock a i7 system to 1GHz, and you'll get great battery life. The only thing I see right here is the "thinnest and lightest" part. Apple products do look good.

QUOTE(ImperialX @ Jul 17 2010, 11:24 PM)
Even without involving personal preferences, denying Apple as one of the most advanced technology companies cannot be justified. Without Apple, this World will be vastly different, and almost definitely not a better one. With this fact established, let me ask the main question of this rant. Why do you hate Apple so much?
So now Apple is way smarter then NASA, IBM, Sony, etc? That's bullshit. Competition always moves things along better, that's basic economy 101. I don't hate Apple, I hate dumb ass people like you who think Apple is god.

I'm not even going into the rest for now, I don't have the time. All I'll say is this: you can install OSX onto a Windows based computer if that matters to you.

Baboo77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow!! Reading this thread almost feels like the old SNES vs Sega Genesis wars that were once waged in school yards across America. It's quite entertaining, really. I'm still kind of divided on this one. I own both Apple and various PC products and I enjoy them all. They all have their weak and strong points.

PC's are great gaming platforms, easily upgraded (relatively speaking), cheaper than Apple and you got way more choices when it comes to software and OS's. You can also get one really cheap if you cant afford the big riggs. For someone who really knows their way around a computer, PC is an awesome versatile tool but is a little less reliable and more complicated that its competitor.

Apple has a completely different approach. Which is, lets make a high quality product that will cost more but works really well, is reliable, and lets keep it simple enough that even a retard can use. So far they have been very successful cause, well, the world is full of retards. They are dominating the phone market cause they made an app for that and Androids suck. Apple is also the first to have any real success with tablet computers. Dis the Ipad all you want, but after I figured out how to work with it I realized how useful it really is. Their stuff looks cool and it just works. You buy it, plug it in and play, no hassles, no fuss. The only thing I don't like about apple is how they lock you into itunes and how itunes doesn't work with any product that isn't Apple.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a product and what you want to do with it.

Velveteer

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
"Incredibly long battery life?" No, just no. Go underclock a i7 system to 1GHz, and you'll get great battery life. The only thing I see right here is the "thinnest and lightest" part. Apple products do look good.
The Unibody Macbook line actually does have brilliant battery life. They run (at the bottom end, excluding the Airs, etc) 2.4GHz Core 2 Duos, which are hardly low-clocked ULV CPUs. The Li-Polymer batteries do get better performance for size, but the other half of the battery life comes from the power management in OSX. The battery life is not at a performance cost and it becomes a legitimate selling point.
QUOTEI don't hate Apple, I hate dumb ass people like you who think Apple is god.
You do have a point there. People that worship the company are far too common. I'm talking about the people that feel the need to have a Steve Jobs poster above their iMac, which is sitting between a Macbook Pro and an iPad. Which they show everyone by taking a photo with their iPhone and mentioning that their iPhone is not in the photo because they used to it take said photo. They buy thing because they are Apple. I can see the appeal to having multiple items of the same brand for completeness sake (eg. I have a Razer keyboard, mouse and mousepad, because they go well together), but it's when people take it too far that I can't stand it.

Sure. I like Apple's products. But there's a difference. I have a Macbook, which I bought because it fulfils my needs (slim, good battery, sturdy, etc). Here's the difference. Phone? Nokia. MP3? Sony.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
tl;dr

Reasons I don't like apple:

1. FOXCONN
2. Price
3. Has to be within Apple's shiny world
3I. "It just works." the only reason for that is because of their "shiny apple world".
4. "No viruses"; not true.
The whole issue with the iphone 4 service. (First denied it was a hardware problem, then claimed that it wasn't just them, then said "Just don't hold it that way"...In one sentance he singled out left handed people.)

I actually own an Ipod Touch 2G, of course I debranded it with brasso and jailbroke it.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arctic said:
I don't really give a shit about this, because I've already proved my point. If you still think Apple is good after this then you'll always think that.
My opinion of Apple remains unchanged, but the fact that your entire post is comprised of generalizations in addition to your resort to liberal swearing has definitely changed my opinion of someone.

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Apple products. I think they are far superior to PCs, and OS X is far superior to Windows.

That being said, the prices are freaking ridiculous.

joelozy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this has already been said before (too lazy to read through 15 pages), but Apple did not invent the GUI or multitouch. Xerox invented GUI, which then was stolen by Apple and Microsoft, and multitouch was in place long before Apple introduced the iPhone, although they were the first people to get it right. Apple takes an segment of the market that is already established, improves it, then charges more than the competition. For example, tablets existed long before the iPad (even though they all sucked), but Apple was the first to have a hit with them.

Seriously, they are overpriced. Let's compare a top of the line laptop to a sucky $500 Acer (like the computer I'm typing on), shall we? No. You have to find a matching product in order to do a fair comparison. Let's take the Macbook 13 inch and the HP Envy 14. They both have backlit keyboards, multitouch touchpads, HD screens, premium design, and a high price tag to match. But they HP has an i5, vs. the Macbook Pro's Core2Duo. Also, the Envy has a Bluray drive. Still, the Envy has a design derivative, and just not as good as the 3 year old Macbook design. If I had a choice, I would get the Envy over the Macbook Pro, because of its much faster processor, even if the battery life takes a hit. Macbooks do not get 10 hours of battery life. Maybe so with the backlight all the way down, and the wifi off, but with normal usage, they get 6-7 hours, which is excellent, but still falling short by 30%+ of the claimed battery life.

There is not reason for the hatred of Apple as a company. They make good stuff, even if they charge more than the competition.

PS: Macs are PCs (personal computers).

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I can't believe I actually read this entire thread. I do agree that Apple products are the simplest to work with for beginners but I think that for more advanced tasks, most people would want to work with other types of products. OSX is decent enough to perform simple tasks with. I have no problems with it being a fashion statement, it's certainly not the most functional, but neither are high heels nor the latest clothes from Paris. Some people just prefer appearance over functionality. But in all truth, I can't help but dislike Apple fanboys since they fall trap to all of the stupid ads and stuff that Jobs tries to feed to them. The company as a whole is also quite annoying. They're good at manipulating their target audience (morons beginners) and they constantly try to demote other products as below them. I actually own a few Apple products and I'm happy with them, I just have to use something other than iTunes. (there are a lot of alternatives for it) Overall, I'm sort of lying on the neutral side.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Okay...Let's just settle this right now...*AHEM*

Apple fanboys/lovers/fetishists/zealots/whatever the hell you want to call yourselves: You like shiny sleek products and simplified UIs. Great. No, really, good for you. Does this mean you need to let everyone know you use a mac? Do you really need to go to Starbucks just so you can whip out your iPhone in a public place while you sip your Latte? I would hope to think not. You/your parents have money. We get it. Now shut the hell up.

Windows Fanboys: For the most part, I really don't see too much fanboyism, as much as anti-fanboyism. Check it out. People DO use OSs other than Windows. No, it's not okay to scoff at them just because if that. Just mind your own goddamn buisiness. It's not like Bill Gates is any better than Steve Jobs. When was the last time you checked how much a Windows license was? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Linux fanboys: Hey, cool, you didn't pay for your OS. I'm happy for you. I really am. Besides using WINE, how many alternatives, GOOD alternatives do you have to mainstream Windows apps? Relatively none. i think it's hilarious that you use WINE to run any and every Windows app known to man, but you have the balls to bash Windows and their users as a whole. I think you can see the irony in that.

Bottom line: Everyone has their own preferences and they all suck in their own special way.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I really am in no mood to see this endlessly perpetual fail argument get reignited.

Or to moderate it.

TwinRetro said:
Bottom line: Everyone has their own preferences and they all suck in their own special way.

That^

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1