Hardware My OG 3DS (stock) won't boot

PuNKeMoN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all I'm sad to report that my OG 3DS with Ambassador Program freebies and many many legit eShop games won't boot. I'm hoping there's a fix before I call the Nintendo hotline to do some non warranty work.

I hadn't used it for a while and when I finally picked it back up I noticed that the touch screen wasn't calibrated properly.
I found a tutorial that implied it could just be a screen protector jammed in the case. To verify, the video recommended using the notepad to see where the pressure was coming from. After doing so ,the L,R, Dpad, and Circle Pad and ABXY all ceased to respond, as well as the touch screen. The only thing I could then play was the notepad.
So I carefully disassembled the unit to verify there was no damage and put it back together.
That's when it stopped booting entirely. Tried 2 different batteries, both with AC adapter plugged and unplugged. Unit attempts to power on, makes a popping sound like it always did on boot, and then just turns off. No broken connectors, no damage to the unit. No reason for this.

TL;DR
Boots for a second with no graphics displayed before immediately shutting off, battery is good and unit was undamaged.
Keeping in mind it is completely stock, is there any way to revive it? Even for just long enough to do a system transfer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

PuNKeMoN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you had an NNID you can recover your legit games by getting another console and calling Nintendo to do a transfer.

It won't be that simple for me, I had the shell replaced after it was damaged so the motherboard is original and the serial number on the shell doesn't match the serial number I registered which is tied to my NNID. If only the old mynintendo website was available I could easily get the proper SN. I have consoles registered as far back as the first GBA.

I submitted a ticket and I received an email from NOA stating that they can't help me and that I need to call Nintendo of France for assistance. :wtf: Which is stupid. I live in the US and my consoles are all US. I've never had this kind of trouble with Nintendo customer service.

Maybe moisture got inside? Try opening it and letting it dry for a couple days.

God, I wish that were the case. Worth a shot, I suppose.

Nintendo no longer repairs the o3DS. Popping noise means damaged flex cable, most likely top LCD, speaker assembly, or camera.

It always made the popping noise, for the 6 years I've owned it and this is the first time it ever failed to boot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-