My new SLIM PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by zone97, Dec 6, 2007.

Dec 6, 2007

My new SLIM PSP by zone97 at 4:36 AM (1,608 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. zone97
    OP

Member zone97 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have been doing some reading and need some "guru's" to tell me what I am missing.

Hardware Needed...

1> PSP
    2> Extra sony battery (for pandora mod)
    3> Sony Duo Memory stick (under 4 gig)
    4> Needed software.

I perform the pandora mod on the new battery and use it in the PSP, build a bootable memory stick with software I have found? Then what? Is that all, can I then just put ISO's on the memory stick.

1> is the battery used souly for "flashing" the PSP to a different firmware?
    2> will I need a loader of some kind?

Thanks for the help.

2. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    You could just get a Datel TOOL Battery, already pandora-ed.

3. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    I was looking for someone in the NYC area to help me mod it but no one replied. I guess there really isn't anyone around here. I got my PSP just today also and I guess I'll have to buy a Datel TOOL Battery. It's not that bad, it's like 25 bucks + shipping. Most PSP batteries are more expensive than that.

4. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    anyone just getting PSP and pandora type thing: {public service announcement}
    USE THE OPTION TO BACKUP YOUR NAND BEFORE CHANGING ANYTHING, COPY IT (the NAND dump) TO YOUR PC, KEEP IT SAFE. There is some unique data in there that no one but $ony can regenerate (and without it things like UMD are useless), and everyone seems to think "everything will always go perfect, so why care about a backup" and even "it worked well last time, why bother to back it up this time?" Trust me, if you ignore the NAND dumping options, I can almost guarantee you will come to regret it at some point.

filozof:
    http://www.darkmessiah.byethost13.com/freeservice.html
    the names have a forum beside them where you can find/pm the people willing to help. Not that great on USA geography, but I saw at least 1 in there from NJ.

zone97:
    you don't need any loaders for anything if you use a custom firmware on the PSP (though there are some extra bits to use previous PS1 loaders from older firmwares which does help increase compatibility.) I have to say, it's hacked pretty clean.

The battery... well, trying to make the explanation reasonable. The battery keeps info stored internally, including a serial number. If the serial number is something specific, it triggers the first code in the PSP (IPL loader or pre-ipl microcode) to do something different than what it normally does (namely enter service mode), which the chief function being to load a loader from MS instead of the firmware chip (called IPL or initial program loader).

If the right data is written to the memory card before the first partition at a specific spot/sector, in combo with the specific serail it can be run before any other code on the PSP gets started (meaning the only way to actually block it would be to change the hardware internally).

In this way, we are able to boot code on any PSP (just like the service techs), regardless of whether the firmware chip is erased, or regardless of what version firmware is on the PSP (previously, each version of firmware required a special exploit to make homebrew run, and a futher kernel mode exploit before we could modify internal files on the flash chip).

5. zone97
    OP

United States
    Cory1492
    Thanks for all the valuable information... Do you know where I can get all the needed software "not roms/isos"
    I already have the following.

Pandoras GUI 1.5
    an archive called "the files you need" which contain
    -msinst
    -mspformat
    =original pandora
    =despertar v3

I know the first 2 go on the card, dont know the use of the others. Also, whats the biggest duo card i can use for this process? and about how many roms will fit on it? Oh and one last thing, do you have to do anything to the rom itself. Does it just stay as a .cso and get copied to the card..

Thanks again.

Oh, and my firmware is vs 3.60, if that info is needed. Also I found the 3.71 update by dark alex, but couldnt find the "full" rom... Is that needed? Oh and one more thing... Can this unit be hacked WITHOUT the need of another already hacked FAT psp?

Edit: Figured it all out...

1> created a pandora battery from one from the store. (39.99)
    2> used a "kit" called TotalNewbieasyInstallerPandorasMenu
    3> then updated to 6.71 m33-3

copied my roms to the iso folder, put in a UMD, and loaded the roms.. SWEET!!!

Edit: Posts edited together, duplicate deleted. Don't double post. [​IMG] - Ace

6. Dead Ghost

Member Dead Ghost GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    Wait, you need a UMD every time you load a rom from the memory card?

7. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    There is an option to not have an UMD inserted, but is not 100% compatible with all the games and homebrew.

8. Knab

Member Knab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    no you dont just set the option in the recovery menu to no umd

9. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Not NO UMD...Sony N9660 or whatever. The Sony one is basically perfect.

10. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    ooooooo im jealous :-(

11. zone97
    OP

United States
    How do i get to the recovery menu?

12. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    cory1492; dude, you're the best man. I've found this fr0sTy guy that does my PSP for free. Thanks a lot man !!!

13. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Hold the R button during a cold boot. Or if you have the latest firmware the option can be accessed by pressing the select button.

14. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the tip about the select button! Ive always ever left a UMD in the drive, No I dont have to it should extend the battery life a little bit more [​IMG]