zone97

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have been doing some reading and need some "guru's" to tell me what I am missing.

Hardware Needed...

1> PSP
2> Extra sony battery (for pandora mod)
3> Sony Duo Memory stick (under 4 gig)
4> Needed software.

I perform the pandora mod on the new battery and use it in the PSP, build a bootable memory stick with software I have found? Then what? Is that all, can I then just put ISO's on the memory stick.

1> is the battery used souly for "flashing" the PSP to a different firmware?
2> will I need a loader of some kind?

Thanks for the help.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was looking for someone in the NYC area to help me mod it but no one replied. I guess there really isn't anyone around here. I got my PSP just today also and I guess I'll have to buy a Datel TOOL Battery. It's not that bad, it's like 25 bucks + shipping. Most PSP batteries are more expensive than that.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
anyone just getting PSP and pandora type thing: {public service announcement}
USE THE OPTION TO BACKUP YOUR NAND BEFORE CHANGING ANYTHING, COPY IT (the NAND dump) TO YOUR PC, KEEP IT SAFE. There is some unique data in there that no one but $ony can regenerate (and without it things like UMD are useless), and everyone seems to think "everything will always go perfect, so why care about a backup" and even "it worked well last time, why bother to back it up this time?" Trust me, if you ignore the NAND dumping options, I can almost guarantee you will come to regret it at some point.

filozof:
http://www.darkmessiah.byethost13.com/freeservice.html
the names have a forum beside them where you can find/pm the people willing to help. Not that great on USA geography, but I saw at least 1 in there from NJ.

zone97:
you don't need any loaders for anything if you use a custom firmware on the PSP (though there are some extra bits to use previous PS1 loaders from older firmwares which does help increase compatibility.) I have to say, it's hacked pretty clean.

The battery... well, trying to make the explanation reasonable. The battery keeps info stored internally, including a serial number. If the serial number is something specific, it triggers the first code in the PSP (IPL loader or pre-ipl microcode) to do something different than what it normally does (namely enter service mode), which the chief function being to load a loader from MS instead of the firmware chip (called IPL or initial program loader).

If the right data is written to the memory card before the first partition at a specific spot/sector, in combo with the specific serail it can be run before any other code on the PSP gets started (meaning the only way to actually block it would be to change the hardware internally).

In this way, we are able to boot code on any PSP (just like the service techs), regardless of whether the firmware chip is erased, or regardless of what version firmware is on the PSP (previously, each version of firmware required a special exploit to make homebrew run, and a futher kernel mode exploit before we could modify internal files on the flash chip).

zone97

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cory1492
Thanks for all the valuable information... Do you know where I can get all the needed software "not roms/isos"
I already have the following.

Pandoras GUI 1.5
an archive called "the files you need" which contain
-msinst
-mspformat
=original pandora
=despertar v3

I know the first 2 go on the card, dont know the use of the others. Also, whats the biggest duo card i can use for this process? and about how many roms will fit on it? Oh and one last thing, do you have to do anything to the rom itself. Does it just stay as a .cso and get copied to the card..

Thanks again.

Oh, and my firmware is vs 3.60, if that info is needed. Also I found the 3.71 update by dark alex, but couldnt find the "full" rom... Is that needed? Oh and one more thing... Can this unit be hacked WITHOUT the need of another already hacked FAT psp?

Edit: Figured it all out...

1> created a pandora battery from one from the store. (39.99)
2> used a "kit" called TotalNewbieasyInstallerPandorasMenu
3> then updated to 6.71 m33-3

copied my roms to the iso folder, put in a UMD, and loaded the roms.. SWEET!!!

Edit: Posts edited together, duplicate deleted. Don't double post.
lecture.gif
- Ace

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the tip about the select button! Ive always ever left a UMD in the drive, No I dont have to it should extend the battery life a little bit more
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, sadly I dont have any tips