Gaming My modded Wii means I don’t even care about the Switch

LiverFox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I missed out on Wii and GameCube as a child because all I played was Starcraft and Warcraft, and I feel like now I’ve discovered a treasure trove I didn’t realize existed.

Anyone else feeling rather patient about getting a Switch with so many amazing options on the Wii/GameCube? I’ve got to have at least 50 games I still want to play

A Link to the Past is next on my list, thank you WiiWare!

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I missed out on Wii and GameCube as a child because all I played was Starcraft and Warcraft, and I feel like now I’ve discovered a treasure trove I didn’t realize existed.

Anyone else feeling rather patient about getting a Switch with so many amazing options on the Wii/GameCube? I’ve got to have at least 50 games I still want to play

A Link to the Past is next on my list, thank you WiiWare!

Don't forget the WiiU, lotta good stuff on there, too, definitely more than Wii. OF course it plays the Wii stuff too, and throw Nintendon't on there and it's a better gamecube in a lot of ways.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Don't forget the WiiU, lotta good stuff on there, too, definitely more than Wii. OF course it plays the Wii stuff too, and throw Nintendon't on there and it's a better gamecube in a lot of ways.
The WiiU is like the "Ultimate Gamecube", something the Switch will never be, no mather how much mutilated cubes they use as docks, or the Gamecube adapter support or its hypotetical GC Virtual Console.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The WiiU is like the "Ultimate Gamecube", something the Switch will never be, no mather how much mutilated cubes they use as docks, or the Gamecube adapter support or its hypotetical GC Virtual Console.
agreed. With Native hdmi support and just as moddable as the original wii, the wii u is the way to go. .

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
wait until you discovery the stuff you missed out on in the ps2. Most of it doesn't hold up as well as the wii but playing older games is much cheaper on the pocket - if you can find the gems. Ensure you get No More Heros 1 and 2.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Modded Wii and PS2 means I've been not caring about the current generation for the most part, and I'm not even joking.
It's incredible the amount of stuff you can play with that combination. And how little space they take.

A con would be that buying stuff has become a bit harder as time passes, but oh well, it is to be expected with all the oportunistic people on the retro-collecting community desperate to turn profits. And stores are usually left with shovelware for both, although you find things from time to time.

That said, Switch seems to be a pretty sweet device; I'm playing the waiting game for the inevitable redesign; I have way too many things to play already, anyway.

I hope you find and enjoy many of those classic games and obscure gems on both libraries, there are quite a few!

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Modded Wii and PS2 means I've been not caring about the current generation for the most part, and I'm not even joking.
It's incredible the amount of stuff you can play with that combination. And how little space they take.

A con would be that buying stuff has become a bit harder as time passes, but oh well, it is to be expected with all the oportunistic people on the retro-collecting community desperate to turn profits. And stores are usually left with shovelware for both, although you find things from time to time.

That said, Switch seems to be a pretty sweet device; I'm playing the waiting game for the inevitable redesign; I have way too many things to play already, anyway.

I hope you find and enjoy many of those classic games and obscure gems on both libraries, there are quite a few!

funny I have a wii and a ps2 too! thinking about getting a ps3 just to play persona5

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
When I think about it is probably the best combo I can think. GC + Wii plus PS1 + PS2 covers so much great stuff that I care about, and let's not even talk about virtual console and emulation through the Wii. You have decades of videogames with that; if you enjoy old stuff like me at least.

About the other part, with old systems it may be better to try to get one before they start to be hard to find one in good shape (even if it can be a bit of a pain having in mind revisions and such). Although if its just to play one game it may not even matter much!

The_Green_Nerd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well as long as you don't care about graphics you are fine.... But then again Metroid Prime 3 looks gorgeous on the Wii! (component cable needed of course).

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The standard Wii2HDMI is pretty much component with HDMI output, so yes, you can play at 480P just fine, just choose it on the Settings Menu. I have one of those, and the image quality is very similar (HDMI seems to be a tad brighter). The only big difference, and this will probably vary depending on the TV, is that HDMI seems to take longer to show picture again after a resolution change, while with component is much faster.

But that's only a problem with games that can't be played at 480P, and only happens for a few seconds so is not much of a deal. What you need to be careful about is if it adds input lag on your TV, on mine (which is not anything special) does not, but I've seen some pretty bad cases on friends' houses.

And newo is right, 480P (or Progressive Scan) can make a HUGE difference in most games. Not only the image quality is sharper and clearer, 480P does away with interlacing, which can be quite annoying with, for example, fast moving games. With interlacing, the image you see is separated into two groups of horizontal pixels, and only updates one group at a time, which can be easily seen in 30FPS games. With Progressive Scan, it updates the entire image, cleaning everything and making it look nice in motion.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way. It might be obvious, but 480P also makes emulation done on the Wii look much better, not just Wii/GC games.

Last edited by Maeson,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: hi