Gaming My Japanese Coach - What's Your Opinion?

KittyGirlDS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the record, "Midori no kutsu" is green shoes!

I just got my supercard yesterday, can't wait to check it out, even if I've already had 3 years of Japanese class XD

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
KittyGirl > Is that Tommy February you're using as an avatar?

The game sounds like the first month of Japanese 101.

If I had shown this to any of my exes (or the girl I am seeing now) I'd get laughed at and potentially dumped (well, not dumped, but very much laughed at).

Though be careful about learning Japanese from someone of the opposite sex - every foreigner in Japan knows at least one guy that speaks like a high school girl because that's where he picked up his Japanese, or some girl that speaks like boku-zoku because she dated one of them. I got caught once or twice for using a ちょう more than a normal, heterosexual man should (one woman asked me if I taught at a girl's high school). It's all fun and games til you bust out a 楽しいわ somewhere.

ZzzZilla

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
I sure hope someone who unlocks all the lessons will post a save file. I just want to see the extent this title goes to, but can't stand having to repeat a game 5 times in a row just to get to unlock the next lesson.
I mean, they'll let me skip the first 10 lessons, but not any thereafter no matter how well I do? Serious oversight (in all the Coach games, I believe).

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Novelsito said:
ichi
ni
san
yon
go
roku
sichi
hachi
kyuu
juu

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

there's no si in the japanese language.
unsure.gif

Tigerstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mimirochefort said:
Novelsito said:
ichi
ni
san
yon
go
roku
sichi
hachi
kyuu
juu

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

unsure.gif

There is if it's Romanized using the Kunrei or Nihon systems. The kana "?" gets Romanized as "shi" in the Hepburn system and "si" in the Kunrei and Nihon systems (among numerous other differences).

Mei-o

Generic Asian Kid™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's okay I guess, the only reason I downloaded this is for the kanji since I've been putting it off for too long, it could be very helpful for beginners who know zero about japanese though.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
kikuchiyo said:
Though be careful about learning Japanese from someone of the opposite sex - every foreigner in Japan knows at least one guy that speaks like a high school girl because that's where he picked up his Japanese, or some girl that speaks like boku-zoku because she dated one of them. I got caught once or twice for using a ??? more than a normal, heterosexual man should (one woman asked me if I taught at a girl's high school). It's all fun and games til you bust out a ???? somewhere.
Did you mean "bousouzoku?" I've never met a foreigner girl who spoke like that, but I imagine that would be jarring to hear. Hell, it doesn't sound right even when a male foreigner talks like that (especially an ALT).

I've had a few male friends throw in one too many "?'s," "??'s," and "??'s" at the end of their sentences. I even heard a guy say "???" once. The worst part is that Japanese girls don't correct them because they think the mistakes are "cute."

funsohng

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
idk, i started it, and aced the first test. that's all i did
but it does show u a lot about like basic words u need to know, like numbers and all.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in the beginning section of the hiragana (the vowels, + the k's and g's), it's gotten progressively more difficult to memorize the words and characters (thankfully I have a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Conversational Japanese" sitting around). Overall, I'm finding it to be a pretty good learning tool if you're only wanting to get started learning the language.

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tigerstar said:
mimirochefort said:
Novelsito said:
ichi
ni
san
yon
go
roku
sichi
hachi
kyuu
juu

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

unsure.gif

There is if it's Romanized using the Kunrei or Nihon systems. The kana "?" gets Romanized as "shi" in the Hepburn system and "si" in the Kunrei and Nihon systems (among numerous other differences).

oh is that so> i see..

abc2390986

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
So how many people think this game is helpful in improving Japanese skills?

Actually I want to learn Japanese, but I don't like to the Japanese class in my university.

It is enough if this "coach" could teach me some basic skills in Japanese.

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
abc2390986 said:
So how many people think this game is helpful in improving Japanese skills?

Actually I want to learn Japanese, but I don't like to the Japanese class in my university.

It is enough if this "coach" could teach me some basic skills in Japanese.

It's not very good for teaching you the language from scratch.

But it's a great one in helping those who are currently studying the language or those who might have forgotten some.
yaynds.gif

canli

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The game is a great help for me to learn Japanese. I'm at lesson 18 and I'm lovin' it. 10 words by lesson to improve your Japanese is a good idea.

acks45

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
blastimpulseee said:
aznvienna said:
think u could play a ds game with this?
ohmy.gif

Unfortunately not. This game helps you memorize and learn how to pronounce words, but no so much when it comes to reading and writing. However, I haven't gotten very far in the game yet, so there may be more that does indeed go into the japanese characters.
hes right about not being able to play a game with this however he is wrong about just colors and days and stuff like that there is a lot of words in here, it would be better for a vocab builder than a standalone teacher... it does teach basic grammer( at least where i am at lesson 37). the game also teaches begginner kanji later on. you dont do that without a basic knowledge of sentence structure because kanji change pronunciation depending on how they are used.
i think its good so far but i would like to see more of the lessons.

i guess i better get on that.

p.s. sorry for double post i thought someone had posted here since my last post and now that im done typing all that i dont want to go back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.