NULL

My Japanese Coach - What's Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Raiser, Oct 20, 2008.

1. KittyGirlDS

KittyGirlDS Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2008
    United States
    For the record, "Midori no kutsu" is green shoes!

I just got my supercard yesterday, can't wait to check it out, even if I've already had 3 years of Japanese class XD

2. kikuchiyo

kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

Jan 6, 2004
    United States
    USA
    KittyGirl > Is that Tommy February you're using as an avatar?

The game sounds like the first month of Japanese 101.

If I had shown this to any of my exes (or the girl I am seeing now) I'd get laughed at and potentially dumped (well, not dumped, but very much laughed at).

Though be careful about learning Japanese from someone of the opposite sex - every foreigner in Japan knows at least one guy that speaks like a high school girl because that's where he picked up his Japanese, or some girl that speaks like boku-zoku because she dated one of them. I got caught once or twice for using a ちょう more than a normal, heterosexual man should (one woman asked me if I taught at a girl's high school). It's all fun and games til you bust out a 楽しいわ somewhere.

3. ZzzZilla

ZzzZilla GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2006
    Senegal
    I sure hope someone who unlocks all the lessons will post a save file. I just want to see the extent this title goes to, but can't stand having to repeat a game 5 times in a row just to get to unlock the next lesson.
    I mean, they'll let me skip the first 10 lessons, but not any thereafter no matter how well I do? Serious oversight (in all the Coach games, I believe).

4. MyauChanDesu

MyauChanDesu Kamineko is GOD.

Mar 29, 2008
    Sydney, Australia!
    there's no si in the japanese language. [​IMG]

5. Tigerstar

Tigerstar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2006
    United Kingdom
    There is if it's Romanized using the Kunrei or Nihon systems. The kana "?" gets Romanized as "shi" in the Hepburn system and "si" in the Kunrei and Nihon systems (among numerous other differences).

6. Mei-o

Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Jun 22, 2008
    Somewherewherewhere
    It's okay I guess, the only reason I downloaded this is for the kanji since I've been putting it off for too long, it could be very helpful for beginners who know zero about japanese though.

7. Densetsu

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    Did you mean "bousouzoku?" I've never met a foreigner girl who spoke like that, but I imagine that would be jarring to hear. Hell, it doesn't sound right even when a male foreigner talks like that (especially an ALT).

I've had a few male friends throw in one too many "?'s," "??'s," and "??'s" at the end of their sentences. I even heard a guy say "???" once. The worst part is that Japanese girls don't correct them because they think the mistakes are "cute."

8. funsohng

funsohng Member

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2008
    Canada
    idk, i started it, and aced the first test. that's all i did
    but it does show u a lot about like basic words u need to know, like numbers and all.

9. m3rox

m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 13, 2006
    United States
    WA
    I'm in the beginning section of the hiragana (the vowels, + the k's and g's), it's gotten progressively more difficult to memorize the words and characters (thankfully I have a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Conversational Japanese" sitting around). Overall, I'm finding it to be a pretty good learning tool if you're only wanting to get started learning the language.

10. MyauChanDesu

Mar 29, 2008
    Sydney, Australia!
    oh is that so> i see..

11. ZenZero

ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

Mar 12, 2008
    i got 0 outa 10 - i only new 1 word of japaneese before hand konichiwa!

12. abc2390986

abc2390986 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2008
    Switzerland
    So how many people think this game is helpful in improving Japanese skills?

Actually I want to learn Japanese, but I don't like to the Japanese class in my university.

It is enough if this "coach" could teach me some basic skills in Japanese.

13. MyauChanDesu

Mar 29, 2008
    Sydney, Australia!

It's not very good for teaching you the language from scratch.

But it's a great one in helping those who are currently studying the language or those who might have forgotten some. [​IMG]

14. Raestloz

Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    Isn't it supposed to be Konnichiha? [​IMG]

LoL, nah just kidding, but I wonder why the katakana is konnichiha?

15. canli

canli GBAtemp Regular

Nov 15, 2006
    Belgium
    The game is a great help for me to learn Japanese. I'm at lesson 18 and I'm lovin' it. 10 words by lesson to improve your Japanese is a good idea.

16. acks45

acks45 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2008
    Canada
  17. acks45

acks45 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2008
    Canada
    hes right about not being able to play a game with this however he is wrong about just colors and days and stuff like that there is a lot of words in here, it would be better for a vocab builder than a standalone teacher... it does teach basic grammer( at least where i am at lesson 37). the game also teaches begginner kanji later on. you dont do that without a basic knowledge of sentence structure because kanji change pronunciation depending on how they are used.
    i think its good so far but i would like to see more of the lessons.

i guess i better get on that.

p.s. sorry for double post i thought someone had posted here since my last post and now that im done typing all that i dont want to go back.