My DS Lite won't read Acekard 2i

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by kniteowl, Jan 18, 2010.

Jan 18, 2010
  1. kniteowl
    OP

Newcomer kniteowl Member

New Zealand
    This is more of a DS lite problem then a Ace kard problem

My brothers have DSi's and my Sister has a new DS lite which won't read any kards

The Kards I've used are Acekard 2i, M3i Zero and the original R4DS (which I haven't used in along time so I don't know if it works anymore)

It's really strange because the Acekard 2i & M3i Zero work fine on the DSi and since they're both backwards compatible you'd think it'd work on my DS lite.

I don't think it's the Slot 1 Malfunctioning because my legit version of Pokemon Diamond works fine... so I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

It's possible that it might me the 1.4 firmware upgrade I added on my Acekard but I'm not too sure.

Help would be highly Appreciated.

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The slot and cards may not be making contact with the DS Lite. Try using the paper trick.

3. emgroom

Newcomer emgroom Member

United States
    yeah i intermittently have that problem. paper trick.

4. kniteowl
    OP

Newcomer kniteowl Member

New Zealand
    Can someone explain the paper trick to me please and thank you

5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    place a piece of paper between the back of the DSL and the back of the cart so it will reach the contacts better

6. kniteowl
    OP

Newcomer kniteowl Member

New Zealand
    ^ thanks I did it and my DS is reading the r4,

I don't want to do it for my Acekard 2i or M3i Zero because I'd void my warranty.

I guess I'll have to talk to my seller about my DS lite when I buy a new Acekard for the DS lite in case the contacts don't touch with the new one.

7. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    Why would putting paper between the DS lite and the R4/Acekard 2i/M3i Zero void your warranty? [​IMG]

8. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    seriously guys.

this is a better solution.

9. kniteowl
    OP

Newcomer kniteowl Member

New Zealand
    lol well this is what I did, I opened up my r4's insides and stuck a tiny piece of folded paper behind the main board where the contacts are (in other words directly behind the contacts inside) and then I put it back together.

On the r4 there's a void warranty sticker ( well i think it's a void warranty sticker) stuck directly on the screw which keeps the kart from falling apart.

I'm not sure how the other karts are held together.

And it's more or less a permanent fix, there was one time it didn't read the card so i kind of squeezed the kart a little to force the contacts out a bit more but apart from that one time it's work every other time.

10. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    That is definitely NOT the "paper fix". But whatever works for you...

11. kniteowl
    OP

Newcomer kniteowl Member

New Zealand
    I was actually following these instructions

from this website

http://www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f...p;t=2053#p14675

I'm still unsure if I followed them correctly but I got it working so *shrugs*

12. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    That's the best paper fix - putting it inside the cart and actually lifting the contact points. I did this with a M3Simply that would work fine in my DSlite but not in my relative's. It's a year later and it's never failed to be recognized again.

13. eggsample

Member eggsample punahussy

Poland
  14. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    That's all very well, but if the Acekard doesn't work when retail games do, the problem is with the Acekard and not the DS.

If you bend the contacts in the DS for the Acekard, inserting a retail cart will eventually bend them back and you run risk of breaking the contacts.

All you have to do is slide a piece of paper under the Acekard PCB as in this guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=218103#contacts takes about 30secs to do, and the problem is permantly fixed. Plus it doesn't do any harm to the DS.

15. eggsample

Member eggsample punahussy

Poland
    Yup that is a little risky but works. I'm doing this only if every cart isn't recognized by DS. Every manipulation has to be done very gently and in strong light.
    If only ONE cart wont run is good to check it in different DS. If still wont work try to disasemble cart and clear golden zone with alcohol.

16. nycsam786

Member nycsam786 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I do not think it would void your warranty especially since you do not have to open the cart to insert the paper between the board and the cart. What I always do is, trim down the piece of cardboard that the cart comes in. To better describe it, I take the piece that is punched out so if the box was to be hung on a wall to sell; you would have that piece left over or punched out. I take that piece and I cut off the top portion to make it into a complete (_____) shape imagine a line on the top as well. I take that piece and then I cut it on the ends so it is a trapezoid. I take a sewing needle and insert it under the board and cart and lift ever so slightly enough to insert the piece I just made. It works every time and you do not even have to look for paper or anything else since you will have that punched out piece which came with your AK2i. I hope this helps and if you need a further description, I will try to do my best if requested.