Hacking my 3DS is not working after using the Gateway 3DS

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Unfortunately no, since its on its way back to nintendo. The video would have gone like this:
Turned on the 3DS -> 3DS loads normally to the home screen -> move cursor around homescreen for a few seconds or select an app -> the console black screens and displays error message

This one to be exact (not my photo or console):
Nintendo-3DS-Error-Black-Screen-Of-Death-Reported.jpg

OK -- I have had that screen.

I got it using FAKE memory cards that did not have the actual capacity stated.

So -- try a genuine memory card.

Strexils

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or he just doesn't really know what is going on.

Nail on the head, but seriously reading through some of the posts/suggestions I may have been misinformed/mistaken - it might not have been sent off to Nintendo for repairs but instead some 3rd party place, all I know is that it took a month to get there and back, and when it finally returned it:

1. Had been replaced with a new console (with the data they could scavage transferred)
2. Had the same problem as before

1. Can you play a DS game/flashcart?
2. Can you access the settings?

Neither since you cant get 2 seconds past the home screen before it black screens

FAKE memory cards that did not have the actual capacity stated.

It was definitely a legit card

Strexils

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forget the store and send it directly to Nintendo.

too late :( I handed it back to the store as soon as I saw they had given me a still broken console, I was actually convinced they had accidentally given me back my broken one - the store manager had to check the serial and everything.

Basically all I have left to do is wait. Hopefully they will just give me a new console without anything transferred this time.

The whole reason I made this thread was due to the simple fact the problem was transferred somehow, that's what's truly baffling and honestly worrying - I would love an answer/solution.

I'm going to continue using the Gateway when I finally do get a working console back and I encourage everyone else to as well, it's an awesome product.

how are you checking the SD card if you already sent it back to "Nintendo"
I rigorously tested and tried everything to revive my initial console, including removing the SD card and even removing the battery to try and truly reset the console. This was all before it was sent it off to 'maybe nintendo'.

A few people have called fake on this problem and I get it, this is the internet, but please have a little faith... I wouldn't want to waste this much time making this stuff up as much as you would like to waste your time reading it.

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well, from what i read, right now we cannot do anything to test, cause you send it back to repair service, the only thing i see it could help if you got again the 3DS with same problem is reset with that buttons combination.
But tell me a thing, you said you could make to HOME menu, but it shuts down after a few seconds or it shuts down when you use a feature? If it's the first which firmware you were? Cause you could do a update via legit card till 4.5like animal crossing new leaf if you're les than that firmware; if it's the second tell us which feature was so we can see if uses the SD card, and tries to access that memory. Also, it could be problem of the wifi module that makes somehow an exception, so try to start with wifi off.

That's all i can think about, again, with no console, we cannot know anything sure, so we count on your memory ^^

Strexils

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, from what i read, right now we cannot do anything to test, cause you send it back to repair service, the only thing i see it could help if you got again the 3DS with same problem is reset with that buttons combination.
But tell me a thing, you said you could make to HOME menu, but it shuts down after a few seconds or it shuts down when you use a feature? If it's the first which firmware you were? Cause you could do a update via legit card till 4.5like animal crossing new leaf if you're les than that firmware; if it's the second tell us which feature was so we can see if uses the SD card, and tries to access that memory. Also, it could be problem of the wifi module that makes somehow an exception, so try to start with wifi off.

That's all i can think about, again, with no console, we cannot know anything sure, so we count on your memory ^^

The firmware was 4.5, updated by the Gateway FW 1.0 (which may have caused the issue), I only tried to play games when it was crashing, I too thought it was a problem with the wifi initially but turning that off didn't help either (I even tried reinserting the adapter).

Once the console turned on, it was like a 2-4 second countdown had been initiated because regardless of what I did it cashed in a few seconds.

MrChildren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor
Few weeks ago i bought a 3DSXL. I would get random crash even opening the 3DS apps like camera / accessing the system profile. Sent to shop and the guy diagnose it was due to Bios/NAND failure.
Exchanged for a new 3DSXL and things work well after that.

EDIT: Yes, now my gateway works perfectly :)

If i read your post correctly, you mentioned they exchanged a 3DS for you?
Are you sure about that? Did you check the serial? They could have just return your old 3DS to you and claimed they had fixed something.

EDIT1: By the way, i don't think upgrading with gateway is the caused of the problem. Many i know is actually upgrading their console with gateway using the luigi mansion game.

Strexils

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Few weeks ago i bought a 3DSXL. I would get random crash even opening the 3DS apps like camera / accessing the system profile. Sent to shop and the guy diagnose it was due to Bios/NAND failure.
Exchanged for a new 3DSXL and things work well after that.

If i read your post correctly, you mentioned they exchanged a 3DS for you?
Are you sure about that? Did you check the serial? They could have just return your old 3DS to you and claimed they had fixed something.

I was actually convinced they had accidentally given me back my broken one - the store manager had to check the serial and everything, but it really was a brand new console.

MrChildren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor
I was actually convinced they had accidentally given me back my broken one - the store manager had to check the serial and everything, but it really was a brand new console.

Then it must be bad luck. Ask for another exchange until it works :)
I was having similar problem like you. Gateway crash, apps crash, 3DS freezed randomly.

By the way, even it is a brand new returned from Nintendo could be a refurbish unit.
They could have just changed the housing of your old 3DS and place a new serial...

Reactions: Strexils

Strexils

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then it must be bad luck. Ask for another exchange until it works :)
I was having similar problem like you. Gateway crash, apps crash, 3DS freezed randomly.

By the way, even it is a brand new returned from Nintendo could be a refurbish unit.
They could have just changed the housing of your old 3DS and place a new serial...

I like the way you think :) and your experience is reassuring, thanks for the input

MrChildren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor
Just another add on..
The shop keeper even tried updating my 3DSXL from 4.5 to the 6.2 and it doesn't fix the problem.
You are welcome. Best of luck and i hope you will get over your problem soon.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
it still sounds like corruption to me. the gateway exploit is dependent on specific files stored on the sd card. the 3ds will also access that card for various features. perhaps the 3ds they gave you was new but did you check to see if the sd card was also new? perhaps they just swapped back in the corrupted card that was causing all the problems. i'm curious if a format would have fixed your issues.

i've yet to read another post by any gateway 3ds user that describes the same problems. i really do not think it was related to the gateway at all. either it was the same 3ds and they lied or it was a new 3ds and the sd card was the common factor. unless, your gateway 3ds has a contact issue that is causing corruption across multiple systems. i've seen similar msd corruption issues happen from ak2is with contact issues.

-another world

Strexils

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it still sounds like corruption to me. the gateway exploit is dependent on specific files stored on the sd card. the 3ds will also access that card for various features. perhaps the 3ds they gave you was new but did you check to see if the sd card was also new? perhaps they just swapped back in the corrupted card that was causing all the problems. i'm curious if a format would have fixed your issues.

i've yet to read another post by any gateway 3ds user that describes the same problems. i really do not think it was related to the gateway at all. either it was the same 3ds and they lied or it was a new 3ds and the sd card was the common factor. unless, your gateway 3ds has a contact issue that is causing corruption across multiple systems. i've seen similar msd corruption issues happen from ak2is with contact issues.

-another world

Yeah I'm pretty sure that the SD card was the same, however on the old console I tried booting without the SD card and got the same problem.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Did you power all the way off and then power back up the system?

I'm not an expert on the exploit. what i read made me think that it wasn't permanently altering anything. i wish you had contacted the forum before you returned the ds. there are a few tests (like order of operations type tests) that would have helped to debug this a tiny bit. if the gateway 3ds is indeed causing problems then we need to figure out why, document it, and report it to their team.

-another world

Strexils

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you power all the way off and then power back up the system?

I'm not an expert on the exploit. what i read made me think that it wasn't permanently altering anything. i wish you had contacted the forum before you returned the ds. there are a few tests (like order of operations type tests) that would have helped to debug this a tiny bit. if the gateway 3ds is indeed causing problems then we need to figure out why, document it, and report it to their team.

-another world

Yeah my bad, I was too hasty... Initially I didn't think it was the gateway, I thought it was faulty hardware. Then when I recieved the new console it had the same bug so I assumed they had accidentally given me the same console back. So the second console was gone before I even had time to even think of testing with Gateway in mind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlxH_Th3-LI