Hardware Multiple Cartridges?

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
DeltaBurnt said:
Saddamsdevil said:
Unlikely if they learned anything from save-hack exploits, to have it load something by cart-switch would PROBABLY lead to a pretty easy (twilight princess like) exploit (inb4 people comment on my use of the word easy)

Save access doesn't mean that you'll automatically have an exploit
tongue.gif

Plus there's tons of other things standing in the way of hacking a console besides an exploit.

Not talking about save access exclusively, the game would likely have to store a part of the last run code in the RAM, to perform a cart switch, and if you run let say a... passme type of device that flushes this ram and executes its own code
tongue.gif

You get the point, I am no expert on this so I could easily be wrong.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
t377y000 said:
Slyakin said:
We have SD cards that have 32 Gigs of memory on them. Why not have a 2 Gig cartridge?
what about the 1 & 2 TB SDXL cards, theres no word if they made it compatible yet, btu the more the better & id welcome it.

Just because they have the capability to have such sizes doesn't mean it's reasonable to use them.

If they used 1-2 TB cartridges they would not only have a lot of wasted space, but they would cost a shit ton. Plus 1-2 TB (even 32 GB) is a lot to trust to a small piece of plastic, that's a lot of data that could be lost by one move of the hand.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
specht said:
Once a cart is removed, the hardware crashes
That may be true with DS cards, but we have no idea whether or not the 3DS card/unit can allow hot-swapping while a game is running. The DSi can already handle it in a limited state, so we can only assume that they may improve upon that. DS cards are very much like disks, as the DS works by loading the executable code into memory, and then later retrieves data from the card when needed, which is unlike the GBA and other forms using "carts" that run the executable code straight from the cartridges.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That would suck. Cards will be able to go above 2GB, it's just flash memory anyway. Although I think 2GB is a lot of space for handheld games. Only large-scale RPGs with a lot of cinematics etc. would need more than that. Handheld games also tend to be more simplified than console games.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
t377y000 said:
Slyakin said:
We have SD cards that have 32 Gigs of memory on them. Why not have a 2 Gig cartridge?
what about the 1 & 2 TB SDXL cards, theres no word if they made it compatible yet, btu the more the better & id welcome it.

Just because they have the capability to have such sizes doesn't mean it's reasonable to use them.

If they used 1-2 TB cartridges they would not only have a lot of wasted space, but they would cost a shit ton. Plus 1-2 TB (even 32 GB) is a lot to trust to a small piece of plastic, that's a lot of data that could be lost by one move of the hand.

i ment sd card not the game carts, im not sure how big the game carts size were, i hear 2GB tho, & the 3DS ware should be alot bigger than DSiware.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sorrycostello said:
That would suck. Cards will be able to go above 2GB, it's just flash memory anyway. Although I think 2GB is a lot of space for handheld games. Only large-scale RPGs with a lot of cinematics etc. would need more than that. Handheld games also tend to be more simplified than console games.

Big PSP games get around 2 GB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fuckin heavy storm over here