InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I posted about this the other day in the computer section,makes me sad since it's my preferred IM... so RIP msn march 15th...also why does china get to keep service?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm going to miss MSN badly.
I got Skype and MSN and I don't really want to merge them tbh >__>

However this does open up a new opportunity to get rid of old contacts lol.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who haven't got the email or want to re-read it in its entirety, here's what it says:

Hello,

We are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together. Update to Skype and sign in using a Microsoft Account (same as your Messenger ID) and all your Messenger contacts will be at your fingertips. You'll be able to instant message and video chat with them just like before, and also discover new ways of staying in touch with Skype on your mobile and tablet.

So, what's happening between now and the retirement?
Messenger will continue to work as you know it today. If you are signed in with Messenger on your desktop** you will see a banner notification to upgrade. When you click on the banner, an installer window will open with the request to upgrade. This will take you through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger.

So, what's happening after the retirement?
Messenger users on desktops** will not be able to sign in and will only be able to upgrade to Skype. If you attempt to sign in, a notification will appear, and if you continue, you will be taken through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger at the same time.

Can I update to Skype on my mobile?
Yes! Skype is available on iPhone, Android and soon on Windows Phone 8. We encourage you to download the latest Skype app on your mobile and then uninstall Messenger. You will be able to sign in to Skype on your iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 8 mobile apps with your Microsoft Account over the next few weeks. If you use another phone with Messenger on it, it will continue to work for a while.

Where can I learn more?
For more help on updating to Skype, please visit the Skype Support site.

* To get group video chat, you'll need a Skype Premium subscription.
** Newer versions of Messenger will be able to receive the optional upgrade notifications. Older versions will not receive the notifications and you will have to download Skype manually.{/SPOILER]

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably just a new fake email. Been getting this same email as above since August. I don't even open it any more and delete it. And people still use IMs? I though IMs died out thanks to smart phones having email.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The new skype doesn't look appealing to me, I'm still using an old one.
Can't they understand that users only want to have a little list with names? that's all.
I'm pretty sure that you can switch the new Skype to Mini-Mode, which displays just the contacts. ;)
Probably just a new fake email. Been getting this same email as above since August. I don't even open it any more and delete it. And people still use IMs? I though IMs died out thanks to smart phones having email.
It's not fake - Microsoft bought Skype and announced the switch quite some time ago, they don't need to run two IM services when they can use just one.

Bluetank

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The title of this kinda scared me for a second, didn't know until I read it that they were talking about MSN messenger. My parents use MSN for email (and the retarded MSN browser as well, they hate using FF/Chrome) and the though of having to go through multiple sites (some for bills) and change them to a new one, just ugh. Still, I wonder how this will work with the MSN browser, it uses MSN messenger to sign in.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm still connected to MSN 7 (the last version visually acceptable for me).
The version which was still a standalone software "install the files in the folder, use it!", with removed advertisment and popups. It's a very minimalist version just to see who is online.
No need to install 40 programs to integrate to windows just to chat to a friend.

I hope they won't transform skype into a Live-like application which require 40 microsoft mandatory applications to be installed, polluting your private space with advertisements everywhere.

The new skype doesn't look appealing to me, I'm still using an old one.
Can't they understand that users only want to have a little list with names? that's all.
This is why I'm a pidgin user.

Unfortunately in order to use skype via pidgin you need to have skype running... but it can just be minimized to the tray, keeping it out of the way.

So I just do text with all the services.

Deleted member 318366

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the email today, I didn't click on the "update now" link because it could contain a virus/malware lurking in the link just in case it is fake. You definitely want to be safe.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
This is why I'm a pidgin user.

Unfortunately in order to use skype via pidgin you need to have skype running... but it can just be minimized to the tray, keeping it out of the way.

So I just do text with all the services.
You still require Skype running for video use in Pidgin? I could of sworn the API was updated so that Pidgin did not need Skype anymore...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc