Movie Recommendation Thread

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've noticed alot of "Recommend me some movies" threads pop up, so I thought I'd try starting a general one. If you've got a movie you would really recommend to someone then post your thoughts on it here. Try to include a screencap, poster, brief plot outline, imdb link (if there is one), any other notes you want to add and why you'd recommend it.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tinymonkeyt said:
that is a nice idea
:]
narnia's coming out in a few days. cant wait!

And the game is out on the DS this week, too
smile.gif

Great horror classic : The Devil Rides Out (1968)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062885/

v61xkl.jpg

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Dog Bite Dog (2006)

DVD Cover
Dog%20Bite%20Dog.jpg

Still
00_dogbitedog_fantasticfest2007_m.jpg

IMDB : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0819765/

PLOT
A Cambodian assassin named Pang arrives in Hong Kong with the mission to kill the wife of a top judge. He completes his task and it doesn't take long before Pang is being chased by the police, with one of them being detective Wai who has more than a few problems of his own. Being on the run, alone and not speaking the language, Pang fights back with all means necessary, killing people in Wai's team one by one as they keep attacking him. Eventually he meets a young girl who is held prisoner by her father and manages to escape HK with his new-found friend. But Wai will stop at nothing to catch Pang who constantly has to watch his back.

NOTES
This is a Chinese language action movie. You can get either an English dubbed version or an original Cantonese language version with English language subtitles.

I'll warn you that while I can't recommend this movie highliy enough alot of friends have not enjoyed it at all.

WHY?
I'm a sucker for a good action movie, and let's face it Hong Kong cinema has some of the best action movies of all time, and this is one of the best. The movie starts bleakly, with a stranded assassin sneaking into Hong Kong on a ship, forced to eat from the floor. The assassin is from a foreign country and understands none of the local language. Immediately you can sense how dire his situation is and that he's got nothing to lose. The action begins almost immediately, and in true Hong Kong fashion it's relentless and it's gruesome. What really sets Dog Bite Dog apart from the rest isn't it doesn't have that Hong Kong feel about it. If you're a fan of Hong Kong cinema you'll know what I mean. It's not soft-lit, the characters aren't stylish, the clothes are regular clothes and it's dirty. There's no bright lights Hong Kong here, it's the slums.

The characters are really well developed as well and Eidson Chan shows a fantastic acting range in this. He's cold, brutal and uncaring but you come to understand why, so it doesn't just feeling like your watching The Terminator. Sam Lee is also fantastic as the determined cop chasing the assassin while trying to hide a nervous breakdown from his superiors.

As action movies go this doesn't stop, and it's not Bullet Ballet - the action is realistic. There are also other sub-plots that add real depth to the movie, you come to understand why the characters are the way they are and you can feel a connection toward them, rather than just looking at them as bullet fodder.

RATING
10/10 - It kept me gripped, and there's not a single moment where I lose interest.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
tinymonkeyt said:
that is a nice idea
:]
narnia's coming out in a few days. cant wait!

Thank you!
smile.gif

QUOTE(Bob Evil @ May 15 2008, 03:30 AM) Great horror classic : The Devil Rides Out (1968)

Totally loved it. It's a shame the Brits can't get that horror magic back, they've come close but the industry still hasn't captured. It'll make you laugh but when I was kid I ended up watching Race With The Devil thinking it was a sequel! It was a great movie and all but damn them for tricking me.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
British horror now is all "and then there were none" ... been that way since the 70s ... all part of the doom and gloom from living on an island, trapped between the Cold War superpowers ...

... no more happy endings ...

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Anything made or produced by Mel Brooks, 'nuff said. That guy is a genius and I love every film he made. He made movies and broadway musicals like The Producers, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Space Balls (Yay, They are working on a Space Balls series) and so on. Heres a neat little tidbit, Mel Brooks starred in all his movies in one form or another. Oh, Army of Darkness was also a good movie as well. I just love the classics.

At any rate, I'll see about posting more in depth reviews and images later when I get some more time if no one else has already.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Los Olvidados by Luis Buñuel **User Rating: 8.3/10**
A group of juvenile delinquents live a violent and crime-filled life in the festering slums of Mexico City, and the morals of young Pedro are gradually corrupted and destroyed by the others..
13OLVIDADOS,LOS.jpg
3308512114.jpg

Dead Ringers by David Cronenberg **User Rating: 7.2/10**
The Mantle brothers are both doctors - both gynecologists - and identical twins. Mentally however, one of them is more confident than the other, and always manages to seduce the women he meets. When he's tired of his current partner, she is passed on to the other brother - without her knowing. Everything runs smoothly, until an actress visits their clinic, and the shy brother is the first to fall in love. Will they be able to 'share' her ?
697202969_f2477aab6d.jpg
cronenbergirons.jpg

Brazil
by Terry Gilliam **User Rating: 8.0/10**
A bureaucrat in a retro-future world tries to correct an administrative error and himself becomes an enemy of the state

250px-Brazil_poster.jpg
brazil03.jpg

Macario
by Roberto Gavaldón **User Rating: 8.5/10**
Poor, hungry peasant Macario longs for just one good meal on the Day of the Dead. After his wife cooks a turkey for him, he meets three apparitions, the Devil, God, and Death. Each asks him to share his turkey, but he refuses all except Death. In return, Death gives him a bottle of water which will heal any illness. Soon, Macario is more wealthy than the village doctor, which draws the attention of the feared Inquisition.

hb9v19p5qs-FID3.jpg
macario3.jpg

Do a favor to yourself, watch these movies.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Juno
The Godfather Part 1
The Bourne Series
The Departed
Pulp Fiction
The Blues Brothers
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sin City
The Prestige
North By Northwest
Psycho
Scarface
Silence Of The Lambs
Rocky
Good Fellas

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Saw a horrible movie at a friends place last night.

Burial Grounds, The Nights of Terror. The horrible acting, bad special effects make it really humorously funny. Although there is one zombie incest scene (isn't that bad, no actual..y'know...) which is just....
wacko.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Personaly I would reccommend,

Mulholland Drive - Really interesting movie and makes you think, friends loved it, I thought it was alright.

Memento- Attention grabbing, requires you to think about it. Basically about someone who suffers from anterograde amnesia who is seeking revenge.

Planet Terror- Humorous Zombie movie, part of Grindhouse. Loved it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Autobots roll some blunts and smoke out!
    Channel 69 news "Last night someone stole several cars and a semi truck loaded with drugs from the police impound lot!"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i'mma @ juan in the joke thread and say "hey juan i call your mom dwayne the way she rock my johnson"
    Prowl was the autobots inside man... lol
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Is GBAtemp being a sluggish turd for anyone else today, or just me..?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, No, works fine.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope your weekend's great. :)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    My friend found this the other day. Courtesy of @Kaoid
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Sylveon popping out of a DS lite.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    pretty decent considering
    +1
    just under 2 weeks orso before the new harddrive arrives
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, How's that hard drive recovery project going?
    which one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, You mentioned that you have a new hard drive coming.
    yeh in 2 weeks orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Do you have a NAS storage?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    illmatic
    39 TB server
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Jeezus. 39TB sounds like a significant investment of time.
    meh, more of a I need to add bigger drives all the time
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nextorage just asked me to accept a refund over this dead ssd I'm like ok
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nextorage just asked me to accept a refund over this dead ssd I'm like ok