Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All depends on the mobo and the OS, a 32 bit Win OS will only allow you to use 4 gigs of ram no matter how much you have in that computer.

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you mean by "Commercial". There's no hardware difference between hardware which Dell sells you, and hardware which you put together yourself. If you're curious what the maxium amount of ram a vendor will sell you, that various from company to company. The most ram offered I've seen offered is 32GB of ram on Apple's Mac Pro with two quad-core processors.

As for theoretical limits, it varies greatly based on hardware, and if you've got a 32bit or 64bit operating system. On 32bit operating systems, there's a limitation which makes the operating system, and the "Memory Mapped I/O" module on the computer share the same pool of RAM. This limits the RAM your computer can use to 3.2GB of ram. Even if you put 4 sticks into your computer, it will only be able to address 3.2GB of ram.

If you've got a 64bit operating system, then it theoretically can support up to 128GB of ram. The only exception is Windows Vista Home Premium then it has an artificial limit of 16GB. However, although your OS can accept that much ram, the hardware now limits how much your computer can use. Older Core 2 Duo machines are still stuck at 4GB of ram, with the exception of those using the new Nvidia chipset motherboards, which support 8GB of ram. Core 2 Quads can support up to 16GB of ram, which means that a few high end machines with two Core 2 Quads (such as the Mac Pro) can use 32GB of ram. The motherboard on the new quad core Intel i7 processors currently accept 24GB of ram, but to get up to that amount you'll need to use 8GB ram sticks... which aren't readily available yet.

I have a feeling that my answer's a bit overkill, but hopefully you'll find it useful.

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Foxle said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "Commercial". There's no hardware difference between hardware which Dell sells you, and hardware which you put together yourself. If you're curious what the maxium amount of ram a vendor will sell you, that various from company to company. The most ram offered I've seen offered is 32GB of ram on Apple's Mac Pro with two quad-core processors.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about "every-day computers", not supercomputers or servers, which usually have higher amounts of RAM than a desktop or laptop PC. But, anyway, thanks for your answer. I've always wondered this myself, so it's welcome info ^^

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joey R. said:
I'm pretty sure he's talking about "every-day computers", not supercomputers or servers, which usually have higher amounts of RAM than a desktop or laptop PC. But, anyway, thanks for your answer. I've always wondered this myself, so it's welcome info ^^

Heh, the Mac Pro is technically just a "Production Machine" meant for video editing and the like. It's got high specs, but it's hardly a supercomputer/sever. Glad the info was helpful, I've had it stored away in my noggin' for a while now and figured it'd be good to write it all out.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Foxle said:

As for theoretical limits, it varies greatly based on hardware, and if you've got a 32bit or 64bit operating system. On 32bit operating systems, there's a limitation which makes the operating system, and the "Memory Mapped I/O" module on the computer share the same pool of RAM. This limits the RAM your computer can use to 3.2GB of ram. Even if you put 4 sticks into your computer, it will only be able to address 3.2GB of ram.

If you've got a 64bit operating system, then it theoretically can support up to 128GB of ram. The only exception is Windows Vista Home Premium then it has an artificial limit of 16GB. However, although your OS can accept that much ram, the hardware now limits how much your computer can use. Older Core 2 Duo machines are still stuck at 4GB of ram, with the exception of those using the new Nvidia chipset motherboards, which support 8GB of ram. Core 2 Quads can support up to 16GB of ram, which means that a few high end machines with two Core 2 Quads (such as the Mac Pro) can use 32GB of ram. The motherboard on the new quad core Intel i7 processors currently accept 24GB of ram, but to get up to that amount you'll need to use 8GB ram sticks... which aren't readily available yet.

I have a feeling that my answer's a bit overkill, but hopefully you'll find it useful.
Not overkill at all, this was very helpful. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu