most compatible cart as of 02/08

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by amemoryoncelost, Feb 11, 2008.

Feb 11, 2008
  1. amemoryoncelost
    OP

Member amemoryoncelost GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I'm waiting for payment on the DS-X I just sold. I'm so close to being free it's ridiculous. Anyways, was thinking about grabbing a cycloDS, but the price is putting me off a little and I'm not super into cheats or RTS, I just want compatibility without any sort of patching, clean roms and homebrew.
    For me, it's about cost at this point. I really don't want to drop 80-90 on a cyclo, but would if I'm already going to be spending 60-70. Should I just pick up an R4 and save myself the trouble or risk future updates and buy the EDGE/TTDS? The edge seems the way to go with SDHC, but just nervous about future updates. I got screwed with the DS-X and the promises they made about updates..

thanks for any advice and help!

2. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    DSTT/TTDS will probably be the thing for you. It's just made for games and homebrews only, nothing else. It's 25 dollars on DX, although it's sold out right now, it still has the basic cheats and stuff, but the team actually seems to show signs of updates, and has fixed some problems. It also has SDHC, which R4 doesn't have.

If you like some features for the price, go with SC DSONE SDHC. It has most of the features the Cyclo has, but just a bit inferior. You can get it for $35 at DX.

Not sure about the EDGE yet, but from the review it seems like a great card. If the team fixes up some of the broken features, then it'll be great.

I think TTDS will be better for you. Also, there are some programs that you can use for TTDS that can make it have an R4 styled menu. If you want that, go to the TTDS section, and you'll probably find it.

3. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    N-Card FTW!

It has 100% Compatibility, but if you dont read instructions, it is easy to brick your card.

The Ncard team has all features working perfectly(DP and all games).
    I really like mine.
    The R4 sucks. I sold mine for 10USD beacuse I was embarrased to say I owned it.

4. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    The G6 Real is a good card, although it is limited to its 2GB internal memory.
    The internal memory means no slowdown though.

5. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    R4 100% compatibility as of 12/02/08. Need I say more?

6. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    if youre gonna go for $60-70 than just buy an acekard, definetly avoid an r4 since its not even compatible with sdhc, and i also own a dstt and it is a very good cart, perfect compatibility with roms, so definetly great for the price if you want the basic package

7. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    M3 Slim. Because it can play GBA games, thus increasing it's compatiblity by 4x. And older homebrew that doesn't have DLDI.

8. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    Acekard RPG. Since the RPG doesn't patch the rom at all, future compatibility should never be an issue. And since its open-source, even if the team drops support theres still hope from coders. Dual-storage for large memory and no game lag or slowdowns.

9. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Get the edge ds card, its like the cyclods but without the useless features that make it expensive [​IMG]

10. Jepeto

Member Jepeto GBAtemp Regular

Uruguay
    99% compatibility

The game "miami Nights" dont work on R4 and it has no been corrected in any firmware update.

11. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Actually, so far SCDS1 is the most compatible card.
    I don't think it ever had an issue.
    I remember CycloDS not being able to play arkanoid when it came out but the SCDS never needed an update for any game.
    If a game didn't work on the SCDS you just needed to turn on/off patch mode and it'll play it fine.

12. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    Incorrect.
    It modifies the ROM header, this is by definition patching.

13. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    I thought all patching was optional(cheats,DL play,soft-reset).

14. Eyedunno

Member Eyedunno GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Yeah, I'd say EDGE or R4. Both are cheap and have good compatibility. Most modern slot-1 cards have great compatibility, so that leaves you with mainly the price point to consider.

15. ninjya

Newcomer ninjya Advanced Member

Well my vote goes for the Cyclo DS. Been reading forums ( this and others ) and reviews for months now. And just decided to order the Cyclo based on that. So now I just got to wait for the nice canadians to ship my thing with fast shipping! >.< (hopefully)

16. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Oh well,
    The M3DS real is out of question and so is the G6 DS real.

For great support and compatibility:
    CycloDS

For good support and compatibility+less price:
    TTDS(DSTT).
    Thats all I can say.

I am not sure if its true, but some sites are telling that TTDS is V2 R4DS with SDHC support.( www.games4play.com for example)
    If its true, than forget about R4 and get TTDS.

17. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    Well, like I said above the G6 real was no piece of cake, and I don't intend on purchasing from the same company (not that it's a bad company or a bad flash cart) just that I don't want to take another risk, I think I'll buy an R4 next seeing as it's extremely popular.

18. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

The r4 is popular.
    But as you know the DSTT(TTDS) has the same functions as R4DS + more.
    Such as SDHC and 100% download play.

19. scubersteve

scubersteve Newbie

The DSTT has a pretty slow OS...
    the replacement (YsMenu) is an option, but I don't think it can do download play well.

20. sueil

Newcomer sueil Advanced Member

United States
    If you live in the US like your profile says, then theres no reason to pay 80-90 for a cyclo. I just got a new black one for 70 shipped. Still a bit pricy, but it's the best card out there really. It's not gonna cost you 90 dollars though. If 70 or so is still too much for you then yeah get a cheaper card.