amemoryoncelost

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I'm waiting for payment on the DS-X I just sold. I'm so close to being free it's ridiculous. Anyways, was thinking about grabbing a cycloDS, but the price is putting me off a little and I'm not super into cheats or RTS, I just want compatibility without any sort of patching, clean roms and homebrew.
For me, it's about cost at this point. I really don't want to drop 80-90 on a cyclo, but would if I'm already going to be spending 60-70. Should I just pick up an R4 and save myself the trouble or risk future updates and buy the EDGE/TTDS? The edge seems the way to go with SDHC, but just nervous about future updates. I got screwed with the DS-X and the promises they made about updates..

thanks for any advice and help!

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DSTT/TTDS will probably be the thing for you. It's just made for games and homebrews only, nothing else. It's 25 dollars on DX, although it's sold out right now, it still has the basic cheats and stuff, but the team actually seems to show signs of updates, and has fixed some problems. It also has SDHC, which R4 doesn't have.

If you like some features for the price, go with SC DSONE SDHC. It has most of the features the Cyclo has, but just a bit inferior. You can get it for $35 at DX.

Not sure about the EDGE yet, but from the review it seems like a great card. If the team fixes up some of the broken features, then it'll be great.

I think TTDS will be better for you. Also, there are some programs that you can use for TTDS that can make it have an R4 styled menu. If you want that, go to the TTDS section, and you'll probably find it.

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N-Card FTW!

It has 100% Compatibility, but if you dont read instructions, it is easy to brick your card.

The Ncard team has all features working perfectly(DP and all games).
I really like mine.
The R4 sucks. I sold mine for 10USD beacuse I was embarrased to say I owned it.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if youre gonna go for $60-70 than just buy an acekard, definetly avoid an r4 since its not even compatible with sdhc, and i also own a dstt and it is a very good cart, perfect compatibility with roms, so definetly great for the price if you want the basic package

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
M3 Slim. Because it can play GBA games, thus increasing it's compatiblity by 4x. And older homebrew that doesn't have DLDI.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Acekard RPG. Since the RPG doesn't patch the rom at all, future compatibility should never be an issue. And since its open-source, even if the team drops support theres still hope from coders. Dual-storage for large memory and no game lag or slowdowns.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Get the edge ds card, its like the cyclods but without the useless features that make it expensive
smile.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, so far SCDS1 is the most compatible card.
I don't think it ever had an issue.
I remember CycloDS not being able to play arkanoid when it came out but the SCDS never needed an update for any game.
If a game didn't work on the SCDS you just needed to turn on/off patch mode and it'll play it fine.

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Acekard RPG. Since the RPG doesn't patch the rom at all, future compatibility should never be an issue. And since its open-source, even if the team drops support theres still hope from coders. Dual-storage for large memory and no game lag or slowdowns.
Incorrect.
It modifies the ROM header, this is by definition patching.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Incorrect.
It modifies the ROM header, this is by definition patching.

Can you explain what is modified in the header and why?
EDIT: Serious question. From what I gathered from this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=72547 and from acekards statement(link):QUOTE
[100% Compatibility for all NDS games]
The Acekard R.P.G. simulates the original game cart allowing it to play all newly released NDS games (Clean ROMs) without updating the kernel/loader.
I thought all patching was optional(cheats,DL play,soft-reset).

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I'd say EDGE or R4. Both are cheap and have good compatibility. Most modern slot-1 cards have great compatibility, so that leaves you with mainly the price point to consider.

ninjya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well my vote goes for the Cyclo DS. Been reading forums ( this and others ) and reviews for months now. And just decided to order the Cyclo based on that. So now I just got to wait for the nice canadians to ship my thing with fast shipping! >.< (hopefully)

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh well,
The M3DS real is out of question and so is the G6 DS real.

For great support and compatibility:
CycloDS

For good support and compatibility+less price:
TTDS(DSTT).
Thats all I can say.

I am not sure if its true, but some sites are telling that TTDS is V2 R4DS with SDHC support.( www.games4play.com for example)
If its true, than forget about R4 and get TTDS.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The G6 Real is a good card, although it is limited to its 2GB internal memory.
The internal memory means no slowdown though.

Disagree strongly, it corrupts far too commonly and easily, and is far too fragile, mine bricked even though I treated it well.

QUOTEOh well,

Well, like I said above the G6 real was no piece of cake, and I don't intend on purchasing from the same company (not that it's a bad company or a bad flash cart) just that I don't want to take another risk, I think I'll buy an R4 next seeing as it's extremely popular.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The G6 Real is a good card, although it is limited to its 2GB internal memory.
The internal memory means no slowdown though.

Disagree strongly, it corrupts far too commonly and easily, and is far too fragile, mine bricked even though I treated it well.

QUOTE said:
Oh well,

Well, like I said above the G6 real was no piece of cake, and I don't intend on purchasing from the same company (not that it's a bad company or a bad flash cart) just that I don't want to take another risk, I think I'll buy an R4 next seeing as it's extremely popular.
The r4 is popular.
But as you know the DSTT(TTDS) has the same functions as R4DS + more.
Such as SDHC and 100% download play.

S

scubersteve

The DSTT has a pretty slow OS...
the replacement (YsMenu) is an option, but I don't think it can do download play well.

sueil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't want to drop 80-90 on a cyclo,

If you live in the US like your profile says, then theres no reason to pay 80-90 for a cyclo. I just got a new black one for 70 shipped. Still a bit pricy, but it's the best card out there really. It's not gonna cost you 90 dollars though. If 70 or so is still too much for you then yeah get a cheaper card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16