More Than Meets The Eye! February Mini Contest! *Contest Closed*

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably from Dragon Warrior Monsters. There are a few times you run into a character named "Terry?!". If you have played the DWM game, you know you play as Terry from DQ6 as a kid. If you have played both, you figure out that Terry?! is you when you are older.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I always liked the 'Hall of Tortured Souls' in Microsoft Excel 95. You have to do a couple of stupid things to your spreadsheet, then all of a sudden a small window will appear containing a raycaster engine (doom clone) with the credits of the coders behind Excel. There were even hidden rooms within the hidden rooms in the thing. Very nice.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, that's right. That little bastard. No, I am not insane. (Okay, maybe I am a lil. Shhh don't tell anyone) What do I mean? Because to think that even ol' Ninty didn't even know of its existence except the dude who secretly programmed it in, and it's not like a hidden sign or cleverly masked drawing of a penis. It's a core part of the game in itself. Good work Shigeki Morimoto!
Pretty sure it wasn't that much of a secret in Game Freak itself - it was meant to be a Pokemon "prize" at Nintendo Events - I remember that one of those events was the Pokemon World Championships... those were the days, I played the heck out of the first Pokemon game.

As for my favourite Easter Eggs, there's really plenty to talk about... I'll have to think a little longer before I choose what to submit. :P

oxenh

The most unknown member of GBAtemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I always love to play the game Rock n Roll racing with the secret Character Olaf.

Also kinda off topic but, how the hell no one has mentioned the weird bug of super mario brothers that allow you to throw fire balls with a small freaking mario.?

Reactions: EMP Knightmare

Floating Seal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Sonic 3, at the very top of Hydrocity Zone Act 1 you can see Sonic statues in the background. I played that game for at least two years before I noticed them and when I did I went "Whoooooooaaaaaa..." That was certainly my most memorable and favorite Easter egg I've come across.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'm not sure how many of these count but I enjoyed them.

Super Metroid
-Saving the aliens that helped you right before the planet blew up and seeing their little space ship shooting off in the opposite direction from yours.
-Killing the boss of the water area almost instantly with the grappling beam.

Super Mario World
Going through the star world and changing everything to autumn.

Super Gameboy (probably my favorite)
On about half of the frames that you could put around your game screen, if you let the game sitting for long enough, they would start to move. The little animation sequences that many people would never see served as a limited entertainment for me on a couple of late bored nights.

Super Mario Bros.
-The instruction booklet told of a secret place where all the coins went when you got extra lives. I spent the longest time looking for it but then my friend finally showed me the trick jumping on turtles when they're coming down stairs and that was it. It was interesting to me seeing those life numbers go up so high that there weren't even digits left for them, just random image tiles.
-I also liked getting hit by Bowser and simultaneously hitting the axe and watching Mario screwed up for the rest of the game.
-Level 0 was cool, too.
-And killing all the first few Bowser's with fireballs and watching them turn into goomba's or other minor enemies when they died.

Super Mario Bros. 3
finishing the game and starting over and seeing your WHOLE list of items you can use from the map full of the first one you had when you beat the game. (taken out in the All-Stars version.)

Reactions: Rydian

Giblet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My favourite easter egg is the one in Super Mario World. The one where after completing the Star Road, Mario hacks Yoshi to death with his penknife, then Yoshi comes back as a ghost and frightens Mario every so often by sneaking up behind him and saying "Whooooooo!" in a spooky ghost dinosaur voice and licking him gently with his ghostly tongue and saying "Whooooooo!" again.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My favourite easter egg was the Escapipe usage at the beginning of Phantasy Star III when the King sends you to a dungeon at the start. Once used, the King says 'You used an Escapipe! Normally a smart move, but now you can't continue. Please restart the game.' And that you could only talk to the King there,

Lastly

Tempin' at the speed of sound
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As said many times, the Ratman from Portal is one of my favorite. I can't remember what my favorite was, but I will post back when I get the chance. Oh and controlling Cucuos from Twilight Princess.

The Masked Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Persona 4 Golden, if you look at the T.V. Listings past midnight, you'll find Teddie's Midnight Channel. That was pretty neat.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
All the Rattman secret areas in the Portal games. The change in atmosphere and the fact that still everything is not quite clear makes it a great easter egg in my opinion.

Chubbo1793

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My favorite easter egg was in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars where you find Link sleeping in the bed. When you go to him and press A, the LoZ tune will play.

tropireno

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Baten Kaitos has several items that reference Monolith Soft and Tri-Crescendo.
The Monolith Soft Pen and the Tri-Crescendo Pen.
They also reference Xenosaga characters iirc.

lexarvn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked getting the easter egg on Metroid Fusion, not because the easter egg was really that interesting, but because it means you must be a shinespark master! Too bad they didn't have an easter egg for only getting 1% of the extra items 'cause that was fun to do too.

Metroid_Easter_Egg_%28wondering%29.JPG

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far