More Rayman Legends info

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Sep 29, 2012.

1. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada

- Ubisoft wanted to make Rayman Legends because of the GamePad, Ubisoft Montpellier was one of the first third-party studios to receive Wii U dev. kits
    - Michel Ancel says that the environment is very important in a platforming game, and the GamePad allows players to change the environment in new/different ways.
    - Up to four players lead Rayman and company through level level with Wiimotes or Wii U Pro controllers. Fifth player manipulates surroundings with Murfy on the GamePad. Murfy can cut ropes, lower platforms, turn gears
    - Murfy can be mischievous as well. It’s possible to take a health bottle from someone who’s about to take it and give it to another player
    - Murfy can use the environment to wreak havoc on other players. Ex: take lava and dump it on someone’s head
    - The team wants the GamePad player “to feel like they have an identity in the game’s world”

- In single-player, you’ll mostly control Rayman or one of the other playable characters
    - Temporary switch to Murfy when you reach certain sections
    - In these cases, AI will take over the other character
    - Developers promise that the AI will perform flawlessly
    - No mosquito levels
    - New character in each world
    - Barbara is from the medieval world

Improvements over Origins:

- Platforming mechanics improved over Origins. Ex: in Origins, if you jump-kicked while running you would basically stop in midair and drop down; now you keep moving forward.
    - Different structure this time around as well
    - Travel to any of the five worlds out of the gate
    - This choice was made so that players could have options, especially if they get stuck on a level
    - Ubisoft considers each world to be its own legend. Each has its own mini story and personality. Each world also focuses on a particular gameplay mechanic and highlights particular skills
    - Abilities are all available right off the bat

World details

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=186714

After a misunderstanding at another event, it's good to hear that you mostly control Rayman in single-player.

2. weavile001

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Jun 10, 2012
    Brazil
    somewhere
    cool, this game might be very interesting on the wii u.

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    They took out the mosquito levels? Ouch, that stings.

Anyway, the single-player bit is good news. It definitely opens the game up to ports if Ubisoft starts feeling charitable.

4. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    That video reminds me of Runner2, only about 30x better.

5. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    the more I see, the more I like

6. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    The game is shaping up to be as great as origins. Its great to see Rayman continually growing back into his own defined series.

1 person likes this.
  7. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    Aww, no mosquito levels? I loved those in Origins, unlike the chaser levels which annoy me to no end.

8. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    I'm still hoping this goes multiplat sometime next year.

1 person likes this.
  9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I liked those musquito levels as well. :(

I'm not sure whether I should like the fact that all abilities are available form the start. I thought it gave origins a bit of achievement while playing, even though the fighting and floating were the only "real" abilities. But I don't think I'm gonna miss those (unlike the flying levels).