ars25

I like tacos and pie
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Summary of site
So Google Finally released details about their Fiber optic internet connection. The website claims that the internet speeds will be 1Gigabit per second that's faster than today's average internet speed proclaimed by Google . It also states its not just a internet service but a T.V service as well as being able to record 8 shows at a time. Google also claims to get better over times. Sadly it apears from the site that it will only be available in Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO. Plans are
  • Gigabit + TV $120/mo $300 waived construction fee
  • Gigabit Internet $70/mo $300 waived construction fee
  • Free Internet $0/mo $300 construction fee - (one time or $25/mo for 12 mo).
:arrow: source: http://fiber.google.com/about/

so will it live up to the details or will it fail?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They do not claim that the speeds will be 1000Megabyte/s, their claim is 1Gigabit/s which would be 1024Megabit/s (or 1000Megabit/s depending on how they use the prefix).

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google Fiber is sounding pretty good. If they throw in some more vitamins and nutrients, they could have a real winner on their hands.

Reactions: 2 people

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Google Fiber coming to Canada"

I wish.

1 GB/s download speed is just beautiful.
The appropriate abbreviation is Gb/s. Capital GB is gigabyte, lowercase Gb is gigabit, to help distinguish between the two.
I would absolutely love to have 128MB/s speeds (1024 Mb/s divided by 8 to make bytes) (or 125MB/s if it's the 1000 version of measurement instead of 1024). I could download a full movie at 720p in under 10 seconds. I mean dayumn. What would I do with all that?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Free internet I can not speak to Wizerzak but http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/03/bt_gigabit/ (sidenote there is a rather large BT research installation next door with a fairly notable history so it probably will not spread out soon and the decade thing is probably accurate but it is not as bad as you would first think). Anyway good news for Americans... I think only Australia (and likewise New Zealand I guess) had it beat on sub par internet stakes whenever I compared things.

Wonder what they will do about routers and such- I still get relatively new computers cross my desk without gigabit ethernet ports and trying to explain why it will work work properly on their ancient piece of linksys/netgear junk..... not something I am up for explaining properly.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is pretty awesome. But it is just me or does the idea of having Google as your ISP seem a bit scary? (Don't get me wrong, if this comes to Canada I plan to get it).

I mean, if Google was our ISP they'd have a lot more leverage to use for data mining and such. Just seems a little frightening. But by that logic, all ISPs are frightening.

Not sure why I'm on the fence about this. But I think those speeds would be enough for me to jump the gun.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
This is pretty awesome. But it is just me or does the idea of having Google as your ISP seem a bit scary?
I have to agree with you there. Seeing as how Chrome tracks and sends everything you type to Google themselves, I expect that they would do a similar thing with this. Then again, I'm paranoid with things like this in general.
That aside, those internet speeds are godly for someone who constantly gets his internet disconnected (like me).

Bryzian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cable companies are going to have to upgrade speeds and drop prices if this gets big. This could be the big mover to finally change things. I have been stuck at the same speed/price point for a few years now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't know how I missed this https://youtu.be/OgLD1yhxNik?si=I94vWUB9-LcKc5jR