Homebrew RELEASE Moonlight-Switch - Nvidia Game Stream client

XITRIX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have created one another Moonlight port for Nintendo Switch and want to share it with you, so let's get started.

Features:
  • Support for 720p and 1080p resolution
  • Support for 30 and 60 fps modes
  • Configurable streaming bitrate
  • Host searching in local network
  • Ingame overlay with different options, hold "+" button for 3 seconds to open it
  • Onscreen keyboard support, tap 3 fingers on screen to open it, swipe anywhere outside of it to hide
  • Touchscreen mouse support, works like a PC touchpad, while holding a finger on screen, "ZL" and "ZR" will work like right and left mouse buttons
  • Rumble support

Installation:
  • Download the latest build from Moonloght-Switch [release page]
  • Put moonlight.nro to sdcard:/switch/moonlight
  • Launch HBMenu over Title Redirection (for FULL RAM access)
  • Launch Moonlight

My experience:
With stable wifi connection game streaming is very smooth, no freezes or crashes at all. I've already completed Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice on NG+3, and on a halfway of beating CodeVein, I think beating this soulslike games is a good marker of how playable it is. Also I'm playing Genshin Impact a a lot, I love how high end PC image quality looks on my Switch :D

If you'll have any issues or ideas for improvement, feel free to wright them on [issues page] on GitHub.

Last edited by XITRIX,

barnhilltrckn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I just want to say I'm happy that I'm not the only one wanting Moonlight on the switch so the more people working on it the better the port gets. That said, like all the ports the input lag kills it for me. My Nvidia Shield doesn't have lag as bad(still there but not bad at all) and that's using Moonlight there as well. I believe it's got to do with the lack of proper hardware acceleration. Other than that the port looks and runs great!! Keep up the good work!
PS: I realized my home network would come in to question so before asking I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000. Mt PC is connected via ethernet and my switch is obv. connected via 5ghz. My point is I know my network is up to the task. I'm not complaining either as I think this is a great port and not the fault of the dev.

Last edited by barnhilltrckn,
Reactions: Milad

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't tried moonlight-nx in quite a while so I can't compare latest version, but I've been pretty impressed with how smooth this is. Yeah it is a slightly laggy but I don't know much can be done about that, at least without GPU acceleration when decoding seems to be the main hangup.

The default settings work great out of the box for 720p/60fps or 1080p/30fps. If you want 1080p/60, seems like you need to raise the bitrate to at least 15 and overclock the CPU hard, but its a very nice/smooth experience when done.

HBmenu seems very crash-prone once you exit the app so I would close it for now. Also I find it very hard to keep my A's and B's straight when they are reversed on PC vs the Moonlight UI. An option to flip A/B also within moonlight menu would be welcome (or to un-flip A/B while streaming for whoever really wants that.)

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

bocky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the port. I actually like this interface better. But how do I exit out of a game on the switch? What button combo?

nevermind found it :)

Last edited by bocky,

newkey_sky

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
miguelangelg.herokuapp.com
XP
Country
Chile
This is amazing, 720p at 20 mbps runs smoothly

E6iziL0WEAMWvB1.jpeg

Last edited by newkey_sky,

XITRIX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
HBmenu seems very crash-prone once you exit the app so I would close it for now.
I know about this problem and already fixed it, I'll release a new build with fixes very soon!

An option to flip A/B also within moonlight menu would be welcome (or to un-flip A/B while streaming for whoever really wants that.)
It's a nice idea, I'll try to implement it as soon as possible.

Upd.
Ok, I already implemented button swapping and released it in version 0.4 with fix for app reopening crash. Hope you'll like it ^_^

Last edited by XITRIX,
Reactions: ganons and Rahkeesh

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
At least it does not lag or freezes while playing :)
Also it have better cursor control, and have onscreen keyboard
Hm, i haven't used Moonlight-NX a lot, but the times i played games like Witcher 3, GTA4 or streamed RCPS3 or the whole desktop i never experienced any issues almost at all.

Just tried this one and it crashes when attempting to connect to my pc for some reason. Moonlight-nx works fine tho.

Last edited by bad361,

barnhilltrckn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be required to get full hardware acceleration? I would imagine it has something to do with NVDEC but I honestly don't know. It would have to be available in Libnx correct?? It would be great as it would most likely eliminate most of the problems with streaming.

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be required to get full hardware acceleration? I would imagine it has something to do with NVDEC but I honestly don't know. It would have to be available in Libnx correct?? It would be great as it would most likely eliminate most of the problems with streaming.

A major miracle of someone getting NVDEC to work. Not happening anytime soon. Hasn't happened yet, at least.

barnhilltrckn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A major miracle of someone getting NVDEC to work. Not happening anytime soon. Hasn't happened yet, at least.
Yea I know. It's sad really when you think about it. This hardware was built by Nvidia with this type of use in mind. It was built to stream PC games to it. It's not all it was built for obv but deff a big part of the design.
I remember someone trying to do it a while back but nothing ever came from it. He just kind of fell off the face of the planet lol. Maybe the right dev will come around one day to implement into Libnx. Also as silly as it sounds, streaming to my Nvidia Shield(or others if I want) is one of the reasons I buy Nvidia gpus, they do it so much better than others.

Last edited by barnhilltrckn,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol